long crank to start

sailbrd

Since we switched to XFI (2.051) it seems to take longer cranking time before the engine fires. Going to check the crank sensor but what are good settings for cranking fuel table (60 lb injectors) and global setup parameters? Anything else?

I know most GN's are not great at instant starts.

If you are using stock C3I ignition, it should be in bypass mode for cranking. In bypass mode, the ECU is out of the picture for any spark control as the spark timing is controlled directly by the crank trigger (10* BTDC). What are your programmed settings for "crank to run mode rpm" and "engine revs to run mode"? Normally, these are around 400 and 12 respectively. So... After cranking above 400rpm for 12 crank counts, the ECU will switch from cranking mode to run mode (turns off bypass mode) where the ECU will be able to control spark.

More than likely it's a fuel or air control issue during cranking. You can adjust the cranking fuel up or down or adjust the "starting IAC pos. vs. coolant temp.". You can even try cracking the throttle slightly during cranking to determine if it wants more air or not. Also, you can throw a little extra fuel at it during cranking by "pumping" the throttle.. This will add fuel similarly to the accelerator pump in a carburetor. This may also help you determine if it needs more fuel during cranking.

Mine does the same thing if the voltage is low, make sure your voltage is good when your cranking.

Thanks for the reply's. Battery is new and shows 14+ volts running. Will try the diagnostic tricks. It has fuel pump upgrade and fresh fuel filter. Crank to run is 400, revs is 10. Will up to 12 but agree that the air fuel is off.

Hey heads, up. The guys at xfi can be extrememly helpfull . I sent them my unit to upgrade, and had a weird issue on my startup tune. I reached out to support and they sent me another tune after i sent them my original and some logs.. excellent service!!!

Hey heads, up. The guys at xfi can be extrememly helpfull . I sent them my unit to upgrade, and had a weird issue on my startup tune. I reached out to support and they sent me another tune after i sent them my original and some logs.. excellent service!!!
Will check this out. Thanks