Looking at a 85 GN

Jshailor1871

Hello all,

This is my first post, so please direct me in the right direction if I am posting this in the wrong area.

I have been looking at these forums for quite some time now, and have read through all the sticky posts and most of the general forum discussions for about a week now.

The reason I decided to make an account on this site is because I am finally ready to make the plunge into the Grand National crowd, and have began to shop around for one subsequently. I have owned a 1988 Monte Carlo SS for about 5 years now, but it just isn't doing anything for me anymore, a gentleman offered to purchase the car from me at a good price, so I bit, this is why I am shopping for a GN now. I have found a 1985 Grand National about 30 minutes from my house, and will be checking it out later this week. I know that they are a HA car, I know what needs to be done to them in order to get them up to snuff, and I am prepared to fully engage myself into this car if I am to purchase it.

The Car in question is a 1985 Buick Grand National Hardtop. It is completely stock from front to back with 38,xxx miles on the car. It is on its 3rd owner, and the only thing done to it by this owner was new seat covers and an aftermarket head unit.

Being that it is a HA car, I am trying to get a general checklist in my mind for what I should be looking for with this car. Are there any signs I should be looking for, such as problems with these cars that someone could possibly overlook? The pictures he has sent me look great so far, but pictures only do so much. I will be looking at the car sometime next week, as the owner is on vacation until the 7th.

Thanks in advance,

John

Hello all,

This is my first post, so please direct me in the right direction if I am posting this in the wrong area.

I have been looking at these forums for quite some time now, and have read through all the sticky posts and most of the general forum discussions for about a week now.

The reason I decided to make an account on this site is because I am finally ready to make the plunge into the Grand National crowd, and have began to shop around for one subsequently. I have owned a 1988 Monte Carlo SS for about 5 years now, but it just isn't doing anything for me anymore, a gentleman offered to purchase the car from me at a good price, so I bit, this is why I am shopping for a GN now. I have found a 1985 Grand National about 30 minutes from my house, and will be checking it out later this week. I know that they are a HA car, I know what needs to be done to them in order to get them up to snuff, and I am prepared to fully engage myself into this car if I am to purchase it.

The Car in question is a 1985 Buick Grand National Hardtop. It is completely stock from front to back with 38,xxx miles on the car. It is on its 3rd owner, and the only thing done to it by this owner was new seat covers and an aftermarket head unit.

Being that it is a HA car, I am trying to get a general checklist in my mind for what I should be looking for with this car. Are there any signs I should be looking for, such as problems with these cars that someone could possibly overlook? The pictures he has sent me look great so far, but pictures only do so much. I will be looking at the car sometime next week, as the owner is on vacation until the 7th.

Thanks in advance,

John
WHAT IS AN AFTERMARKET HEAD UNIT? With the low miles I would deffently look at it . Do not let Hot Air scare you off they can run well also. John

A CD player, I've always called them headunits.... I used to work for a car audio place and just got used to calling them that.

If I were buying a used Hot Air car today I'd make sure it has:
1) The original wheels and center caps. Aluminum T-Type rims with black accent, the center caps for the 84's are a ghost grey buick tri shield not the turbo 6 logo, I'm not certain of the '85's
2) Make sure it's got the original chip, otherwise it may have been upgraded and unless a bunch of other stuff was done it may have damage.
3) Look at the Coil Pack and verify it's the one piece unit (you'll want to upgrade that anyway along with the Fuel Pump, MAF, ECM and Chip, but it's nice to have it bone stock to start with)
4) Look for exhaust leaks around the Turbo and up and down pipes. They can be a little hard to find. Especially around the turbo.
5) There should be a beautiful gold braid that covers up a crappy pipe with some convoluted bellows in it. It's just another indicator of aftermarket tinkering.
6) If you can take it for a spin and make sure it's boosting with no audible knock then you may have a pretty decent car.

Since you can't hook a Turbo Logger up to it yet you won't really be able to see what the ECM is doing but with the test run you can tell if it's doing what it's supposed to.

You can look at the diff cover to find out if it's go factory posi and look through the rear wheels to see if it has the aluminum rear drums.

If it really is bone stock and has the low miles described it will be a pretty solid platform for building a cool car. The Hot Air cars take a lot of work to competitively drag race with most intercooled GN's but I assure they can handle business on the street.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight man, I will definitely take what you said with me when I go look at it. I appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

John

Good Luck. Sounds like a cherry car. What's great about going from a Monte to a GN is that everyone will say "Nice Monte" anyway.

I can't wait for that....

I gave a few questions about these cars real quick... should I be worried about overheating on my trip home? Or possibly highway driving in general? Are there any special precautions I need to take to start it Or when I turn it off?(such as letting the turbo warm up or cool down?) Or can I just get in and go?

Thanks in advance.

John

Overheating in a Hot Air car isn't really much of an issue as long as the cooling system is working. Smell the radiator fluid before you start it up and make sure it's topped off. Make sure the oil is topped off too. I'd smell the gas and put something in it like Turco or some octane booster to make sure you don't have any issues during your drive. If it needs gas make sure you fill it full with something good like Chevron in the highest octane they sell, NO DISCOUNT GAS.

On the highway you'll want to make sure your OD solenoid is working. You can feel it kind of lock in about 50ish. If it's not working put it on your list.

Before you start it check all the fluids and turn on the ignition to the first spot to get the accessories going. you should hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds. Now you should have fuel at the injectors. I'd hop out and make sure no leaks are present. If you decide it's time to crank it up I'd give it a few turns and see what happens. I wouldn't crank it for more than a few seconds at a time. If it runs let it idle a little while until it warms up, you should hear the rpm drop when it's warm. then take it for an easy drive and get it warmed up. now you can pull over and check the trans fluid. if all looks good run it around some more and feel it out. Check the A/C and the heater to make sure they do what they are supposed to.

before shutting it (or any turbo car) down i always let it idle until the rpm's drop and get steady, I have a tach and that usually happens at about 850 rpm after about 60 seconds of idle.

Thanks for the info. I only ever put premium in my cars/trucks, so I won't have to get used to that at all...

I assume that these cars (similar to Montes) have the issue with the TCC Solenoid? I had to replace it on my Monte's 200r4. I will be sure to check out the fluids, make sure nothing is burnt or low after a test drive, thanks for the heads up man.

TurboSkunk, could you please define a bit? Like 1-3 minutes depending on outside temp?

Thanks,

John

Just an update, I recently got off the phone with the owner, he said that the a.c. was deleted, rear brakes are original. Car has been repainted, and has one dime sized dent in the roof.

Just a few pictures he sent, anything stand out aside from the hoodliner being ripped?

Attachments

• 1410103839336.jpg
    1410103839336.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 1410103862863.jpg
    1410103862863.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 1410103873248.jpg
    1410103873248.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 1410103884329.jpg
    1410103884329.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 1410103903872.jpg
    1410103903872.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Few more pictures.

Thanks for the help,

John

Attachments

• 1410104006111.jpg
    1410104006111.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 1410104021097.jpg
    1410104021097.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 1410104043565.jpg
    1410104043565.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 147
Its been converted to vac brakes....most likely from powermaster...(prolly a late production 85). The hood liner damage is fairly normal for a hot air with the stock heat shield. It also appears the hard vac lines are gone as well. (That's not a big deal though)

Are vacuum brakes an issue? From what I've been reading I thought hydroboost brakes were more popular?

Thanks,

John