You can type here any text you want

looking at possibly upgrade brakes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GN 98GTP

Andrew
The car is a 37k very very nice oem setup for brakes but obviously with my power a little better brakes is a good idea, I want something with a bolt up system meaning no suspension swapping and can still use a OEM size pad IF POSSIBLE without spending thousands, ideas please, like if a ls1 setup is good so pads are easy to find

I would go with the blazer swap also. Its bolt on dual caliper 11" rotors. And you can also make brackets to swap to the C5 brakes if you need more stopping power down the road.

Zack

I only have 15" rims, 1st is ls1's a bolt on swap and will they fit with 15" rims

You have 2 options here.

The Blazer brakes are a direct bolt on but you have to use the entire spindle ect. All you need to do at this point is go have the alignment done after wards. No other changes. Cheapest thing out there and all the parts are off the shelf at most parts stores. The only drawback is that it uses a hub bearing assembly.

The other option is to go with B or A body spindles which will require you to get custom upper control arms ($$$) and then an alignment. Not cheap but it is effective. Just make sure you get the 11" rotor set up from the earlier cars and not the impala SS RWD.

The other option is to go with B or A body spindles which will require you to get custom upper control arms ($$$) and then an alignment. Not cheap but it is effective. Just make sure you get the 11" rotor set up from the earlier cars and not the impala SS RWD.

Would Global West tubular upper control arms work with the A or B body spindles? Do you know which years and specifically which A or B body cars would make good donors? If the Global West A arms work with this combo might go this route instead of the blazer set up.

Thanks

Would Global West tubular upper control arms work with the A or B body spindles? Do you know which years and specifically which A or B body cars would make good donors? If the Global West A arms work with this combo might go this route instead of the blazer set up.

Thanks

Are you looking for 11" or 12" rotor first. If 11" rotor then any of them from the mid 70's up. If you're looking for 12" rotors then the SS cars made in the 90's. Global west makes the arms for this as well as a few others. Last price I think was around $500 for the pair, and that's why I didn't go this route.:biggrin:

Are you looking for 11" or 12" rotor first. If 11" rotor then any of them from the mid 70's up. If you're looking for 12" rotors then the SS cars made in the 90's. Global west makes the arms for this as well as a few others. Last price I think was around $500 for the pair, and that's why I didn't go this route.:biggrin:

I found some very nice Global West upper A arms on an 84' Monte Carlo at my local LKQ. Paid $60 for them (these things had to cost a small fortune when new). I don't know exactly which model they are but seem to be very similar to the current G plus model. Do you think that you need to specifically request a specific aftermarket A arm to work with A and B body spindles or are they all compatible? I want to run stock 15" wheels so I'm going for the 11" rotors. Thanks for the help.....

I found some very nice Global West upper A arms on an 84' Monte Carlo at my local LKQ. Paid $60 for them (these things had to cost a small fortune when new). I don't know exactly which model they are but seem to be very similar to the current G plus model. Do you think that you need to specifically request a specific aftermarket A arm to work with A and B body spindles or are they all compatible? I want to run stock 15" wheels so I'm going for the 11" rotors. Thanks for the help.....

You need the measurement from the center of the shaft to the center of the ball joint. Stock is just a hair under 8.5" but I don't know the length of the ones for the A/B body spindles. Did you look at the MC you got them off of? If it had stock spindles then they're most likely the wrong ones.

Just get the blazer brakes and be done with it. Everyone complains about the bearings. What's the chances you'll have to replace them again?

so if its a hub bearing assembly I need to swap then, I wasnt sure if the GN's were hub or not, if I go blazer whats all different, like is it dual piston larger rotor???? etc...

so if its a hub bearing assembly I need to swap then, I wasnt sure if the GN's were hub or not, if I go blazer whats all different, like is it dual piston larger rotor???? etc...

The Blazer brake set up has a larger braker rotor and dual piston calipers, but uses a hub bearing instead of the old cone bearings like the factory did on the G body cars. The nice thing is it'll bolt right up, fit in a 15" wheel, and the only other chages you need to make is have the car aligned.:biggrin:

thanks guys, is there a link to the parts and install, if not what parts am I lloking at besides rotor, caliper,pads

If you going to do a cheap and easy swap for better brakes, then while you do the blazer brake swap you might as well get rid of your crapmaster and switch to vac brakes for added safety.

Back