Looking for 3 inch Terry Houston DP

Interesting. Did the guy who worked for cottons make a jig or did he just free bend every pipe? If he made a jig who has it? hmmm

Jason

Quiky One said:
Interesting. Did the guy who worked for cottons make a jig or did he just free bend every pipe? If he made a jig who has it? hmmm

Jason

Well, the guy never worked for Cotton. He has/had his own shop and actually designs/build exhaust systems. Makes a lot of turbo stuff for RX7 guys, diesel exhausts, and what not. When it was done, it was all done on a computer controlled bender. No hand bending or jig. We're talking high tech sh!t. Once the program was set in the computer, it's a simple as dropping the right length & diameter pipe into the machine and hitting enter. Now the question is if he still has the program as this was many years ago or if he'd have to rebuild them from memory/scratch.

Hi-psi said:
Well, the guy never worked for Cotton. He has/had his own shop and actually designs/build exhaust systems. Makes a lot of turbo stuff for RX7 guys, diesel exhausts, and what not. When it was done, it was all done on a computer controlled bender. No hand bending or jig. We're talking high tech sh!t. Once the program was set in the computer, it's a simple as dropping the right length & diameter pipe into the machine and hitting enter. Now the question is if he still has the program as this was many years ago or if he'd have to rebuild them from memory/scratch.

Well can you get a hold of this guy if its possible I really would like to talk to him?

The contact may be Brad at Houston Performance Pipes. Here is my conversation with Janace at Coney's from July '05 when I was looking into THDP's for TTA's...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 3:43 PM
To: conley@wt.net
Subject: Terry Houston Downpipe
Importance: High

Hi,

I spoke to you on the phone today (Wed. 7/13) about the 3" Terry Houston Downpipe for the 89 Pont. Turbo TA. Please let me know what you find out as I'm sure several others are interested in this part as well. On www.turbobuick.com in the "Turbo Trans Am Tech" section of the forums there are others as well interested and wondering if they will be available…see here http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160602

Thanks for your help,
Scott Denny

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 2:34 PM
To: Denny, Scott
Subject: RE: Terry Houston Down pipe

Hey Scott,

I just got off the phone with Brad at Houston Performance Pipes.

He told me he would make the D/P for me BUT the price is up to $675.00
The cost of SS has risen so high and there is so much work involved in this
pipe they have discontinued BUT they will do this for us if we are willing to pay the price. I asked him about a price break on 5 or more but he cannot do that. He told me he would need at least a week to get it ready then it’s another 3 days to me. So let’s say 2 weeks to be on the safe side.

Let me know.
Have a great day,
Janace

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 2:17 PM
To: conley
Cc: Denny, Scott
Subject: RE: Terry Houston Down pipe
Importance: High

Janace,

Wow...$675 that's a pretty good jump ($100). Can you find out if that includes the "dump pipe" as well?

Not to try and take away from you (Conley) but do you think they would sell to me direct or are you not really making anything on them ? My original thoughts were to try and contact them and see if they would make me one but could not find a listing or web site for them. If this is not and option would they drop ship to me instead of shipping to you and then to me ?

Thanks so much for you help,
Scott

Scott,

I agree the price is rather steep, I guess its “supply and demand”.
$675.00 is also the price if you go directly to them. Of course I’d rather
you get it from me. [This is what helps keep the doors open and the
tech help alive.]

If you decide you want one I can have it drop shipped directly to you.

Have a great day,
Janace

hth,
-Scott

if the guy isn't willing to go through the hassle of making the pipes and send them out, see if he would be willing to either give you or sell you the program. I have a friend who works at Faurecia (I think that's what it is) and they make stock exhausts for like cadillac and a bunch of the manufactures. He was telling me one of the guys on the line told him he'd make him exhaust afterhours if he wrote a program for it. So I can get the pipes bent then all I'd have to do is buy some of the WG elbows from like Fullthrottle or something and weld them on.

I just got off the phone with the guy. He said he'd look for the computer program to see if he still had it and if he did said it would be no problem to make more DP's since it would be as easy as loading up the program and feeding the material into the machine. He's suppose to let me know today or tomorrow once he's had a chance to look through all his exhaust programs to see if he still has the one for the downpipes. I'll update as soon as I hear back from him.

Hi-psi said:
I just got off the phone with the guy. He said he'd look for the computer program to see if he still had it and if he did said it would be no problem to make more DP's since it would be as easy as loading up the program and feeding the material into the machine. He's suppose to let me know today or tomorrow once he's had a chance to look through all his exhaust programs to see if he still has the one for the downpipes. I'll update as soon as I hear back from him.

awesome I meant to post back here because I found out the place I was talking about can only go up to liek 2 5/8" which is what the CTS-V is.

Just got off the phone with my guy again and he said he hasn't found the program yet, but also hasn't had the time to look through them all. He's covered up with a lot of work right now, so he said he'd keep looking as he had time. He did say that if he finds the program, he'd gladly make the pipes and would let me know how much he'd make them for. He asked that I call him back on Monday. I'll update then.

3 In D/p

I Purchased One From Atr A While Ago And The Dame Thing Didnot Fit. It Was About 5 In Off It Touching The Floor I Call Them And Told Them That If They Where Sure It Fit But They Lied To Me I Tryed To Get My Moneyback But No Luck Any Way If You Want A D/p 3in I Could Make One I Just Dont Know Where To Get The Turbo Flang Im A Exhuast Shop In Oakland And We Have A Few Cars Tta/5 Gn And A Syclone Were Trying To Put Gn Engine In A 69 Camaro We Put One In A Elcamino And That D/p Came Out Good All Ss Pipe Let Me Know It May Take A While To Make Its Time

TTA89 said:
I Purchased One From Atr A While Ago And The Dame Thing Didnot Fit. It Was About 5 In Off It Touching The Floor I Call Them And Told Them That If They Where Sure It Fit But They Lied To Me I Tryed To Get My Moneyback But No Luck Any Way If You Want A D/p 3in I Could Make One I Just Dont Know Where To Get The Turbo Flang Im A Exhuast Shop In Oakland And We Have A Few Cars Tta/5 Gn And A Syclone Were Trying To Put Gn Engine In A 69 Camaro We Put One In A Elcamino And That D/p Came Out Good All Ss Pipe Let Me Know It May Take A While To Make Its Time
PLEASE USE PERIODS!!! Mike Licht is making a DP already. I dont know how much longer he has though until completed.

Jason

Quiky One said:
PLEASE USE PERIODS!!! Mike Licht is making a DP already. I dont know how much longer he has though until completed.

Jason

YES :eek: That Was The Longest Sentence I Think I Have Ever Read...And What's With The Capital Letters On Every Word :confused: :biggrin:

I just installed one of the old Accufab 3" S/S DP's on my TTA. While it uses the stock elbow it may scarifice a little flow but hey it fits perfect!!! No need to dent it up or take it in and out a dozen times. It slid right in to place the 1st time...thanks John Pearcy "Johns Performance" :cool:

-Scott

TTA89 said:

Quiky One said:

Jason

YES :eek: That Was The Longest Sentence I Think I Have Ever Read...And What's With The Capital Letters On Every Word :confused: :biggrin:

I just installed one of the old Accufab 3" S/S DP's on my TTA. While it uses the stock elbow it may scarifice a little flow but hey it fits perfect!!! No need to dent it up or take it in and out a dozen times. It slid right in to place the 1st time...thanks John Pearcy "Johns Performance" :cool:

-Scott

Ok guys, here's the update I promised. I went by the shop today after work and talked to the guy. We looked around behind his shop and found the jig for the TTA downpipes. He stated that if he still had the jig, he's 100% sure he still has the program. We talked for a bit about some numbers and specifics and here's what we're looking at. He stated that for it to be a go, he'd probably need an order of about 15 to make them. Additionally, this is for the 3" DP, AND 3" OEM-style flex pipe at the bottom, but NOT the elbow. He is not setup to make the elbows, so I'm going to try to find a source. Houston is no longer making them or so I've been told. I'm going to grab mine since the motor is currently out of my car and take it around to a few fab shops and see what it looks like for getting them made. Once I can get an idea of what it will cost to get the elbows made I can get a total price out to you guys and then we can see how many dedicated orders we can get towards the 15. I may look into talking to a vendor or two and seeing if they want to pick up a couple orders to help out as I doubt there are 15 TTA owners out there looking for a 3" DP. So, once I have some numbers on what it looks like for the elbows, I'll update with some more information.

well Ill be order number 1 if thats the case! I really appreciate ur help man some people dont take the time out to actually do this for on another. But yea if you can get a price on the elbow then that would be great.

I'll be number 3. Good (sort of) news. One of the vendors has the bare elbows for sale. I think they were $200 + though.

I'll do a search now. Someone either PM'd me the link or posted it in one of my threads.

** Looks like it was fullthrottle that had them. Don't see it on the site anymore :confused:

I am interest in in one for my Dads Car he would like to get one as long as it fits good it is 304 stainless. Has the nice Setup like the Old Houston One and it is 3 inch put use in for number 4

I was talking to Mike Licht, and he said the problem is the elbows. They ARE NOT the same elbows as the turbo regals have. They are a two piece setup that no one makes. So if this guy makes the DP's they are kinda worthless to you guys unless you are very talented.

Jason

Yes, the elbows are different than the Regal ones. They have a tighter bend/tuck more since there's much less room on the TTA and the DP has to stay tight to the side of the motor. Making/fabbing the elbows really isn't the big issue, it's the wastegate flapper and actuator that is the tricky item. Also, in reference to the comment above about stainless. He said he will NOT make them in stainless. Unless it was a large order. The pipe has so many bends that he says it wrecks hell on the bender to bend stainless that much since it's such a tough metal. He said to put the bender through that much wear & tear to make them in stainless, he'd have to have a large order. I'm still planning to get my elbow and see if I can find a reasonable source to make them. It's my understand Houston no longer makes anything. Since I'm in Atlanta, and my car is in Augusta, Ga, it may be a few weeks before I can get down there and pick up the elbow for my car and start shopping around. I will update though when I have any new information.