You can type here any text you want

Looking for some fuel system ideas (aftermarket stuff)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
I've got a fuel cell and A1000 pump on the way... and the Champion intake showed up today.

What I was "planning" to do is this...

Run one -08 line from the cell to the pump then one -08 from the pump to the pass side rail.

I'd like to use my old regulator I pulled off the stock rail setup. I threaded it to 1/4npt in/out, then installed -06 fittings in/out. I remote mounted it to the PS reservior bracket.

I was 'gonna adapt down from -08 to -06 at the driver side rail fitting and run a -06 line from the rail to the regulator, then -06 from the regulator to the cell.

I purposely didn't buy any fittings or braided line yet, just so I could see what fittings came in the Champion rails and what I had to work with.

My question is this...
Will a -08 pressure x -06 return system work OK with the small regulator that was made for the stock rail combined with the A1000 pump ? I was just concerned about the lack of return flow capability it has.

I also kicked around the idea of dual-feeding the rails, but really wasn't sure how to go about it while maintaining a clean engine compartment.

I also thought about doing it in -10 feed x -08 return, but the cell only jas a pair of -08 outlets... so I'd need to tee the two -08 outlets into a single -10 going to the pump. I'd also need to upgrade to a bigger regulator then too.

Any ideas ? suggestions ? pictures ???

DSC074672.jpg

DSC074302.jpg

Just my $.02...
1. The pump needs protection w/ a 40-100 micron filter.
2. The injs need to see fuel that's been thru a 10 micron filter.
3. You can try the reg you have. A good test for capability is to see if you can turn the pressure down at least 5psi, from it's normal setting. If not, the reg is a flow restriction, and has to be upgraded.
4. As for line size: I used that combo, and found it worked fine.
I use these filters:
http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/filters.html
NICE peeps to deal with... AND, the price is right!

I appreciate the informative reply.

I wondered what would/wouldn't pass thru the injectors.

I have a 40 micron filter I *was* going to mount before the pump...

I guess the ideal situation would be a minimally restrictive 100 micron filter before the pump and a fuel injector friendly 10 micron filter after the pump.

That would work fine. I run a #8 to the fuel rail and a #6 from the same style fuel reg with no issues, check my sig.

I just ordered some lines and fittings, along with a 2nd filter.

I'll mount the 40 micron filter between the fuel cell and pump... and the 10 micron filter I'll mount up in the engine compartment on the fenderwell.

I'm sticking with a -08 feed and -06 return system.

Thanks for the opinions fellas...

This should be a busy week for my GN.

The TA heads should be here in a day or three... and the entire fuel system should be here tomorrow or Thursday. :cool:

Hopefully I don't have any fitment problems with the new heads & intake. ;)

Mine is basically the same as you are building. -10 from the cell to the first filter with a 100 micron SS element. Then the A1000 with a 10 micron celluse filter into a -08 line. Still using the stock fuel rail and Accufab fuel pressure regulator with a -06 return line.

To run the -10 straight out of the fuel cell I bought a -10 bulkhead and replaced the original one. It just needed to be drilled bigger. If I remember right reused the original bulkhead for the return or vent on top.

I thought about bumping up to the -10 stuff... but I think the -08 outlet fittings are welded in the aluminum cell.

Of course it will get here tomorrow and prove me wrong. ;)

Either way, it's good to know I'm not the only one running this combo and it's been proven to work. :D

I had the 8 cut off the cell and replaced with a 12 that runs a short distance from the cell to the pump. Ran 10 up to the compartment and split to 8 to each rail, with a 6 return.

The 12 to 10 may be overkill, but I would def. cut the 8 off the cell and replace with at least a 10.

I had the 8 cut off the cell and replaced with a 12 that runs a short distance from the cell to the pump. Ran 10 up to the compartment and split to 8 to each rail, with a 6 return.

The 12 to 10 may be overkill, but I would def. cut the 8 off the cell and replace with at least a 10.

I thought about using a Y-block between the cell and the pump. Two -08 lines out of the cell into a Y-block with a -10 to feed the pump.

At the moment, I already have everything coming in -08... so that will get used until I need to step it up a notch.

Eventually I will work on a dual feed rail system... but for now, I just want to get the car back together and running again. :D

I know the stock lines have been into the 9's already... BUT just for the sake of comparison...

Here's a pic of -08 & -06 fittings alongside the factory fuel lines.

I sure will feel more comfortable with these over the factory stuff, that's for sure.

DSC074703.jpg

Id feed with a -8 and split to both rails underhood with the -6. This is what is most often done and it works. If you havent opened up the return on the regulator it is doubtful it will be able to return enough to be able to regulate at reasonable pressures unless you are reducing the pump output.

I thought about using a Y-block between the cell and the pump. Two -08 lines out of the cell into a Y-block with a -10 to feed the pump.

At the moment, I already have everything coming in -08... so that will get used until I need to step it up a notch.

Eventually I will work on a dual feed rail system... but for now, I just want to get the car back together and running again. :D

I've got a 2015 weldon with a 12 in and 10 out. That's the only reason I went as big as I did. Here is a link that was recently out with a similiar setup using two eights and a y block off the cell. Never considered the idea myself, but makes sense.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...294018-pics-trunk-mounted-cell-fuel-pump.html

The intake will not fit without using thicker gaskets on the TA heads. I had to use a .120 thick gasket. The TA heads are a little bit taller, since they are so thick. Also don't use areoquip/russel rubber lines unless you want the garage to smell like gas. Only use teflon braided lines and fittings. Whatever pump/ lines you use make sure you flow them at 80 psi to check the fuel flow. A -8 an line will support easily 1000hp with maybe a few psi drop on the outlet. I would use a -10 on the inlet side of the pump. You need to flow min 1.5 gal/min @80 psi in real world testing to be safe. You need to use an intake space made by champion or the TB up pipe will be in the way of the turbo inlet if it is 4". I see your blocking your bypass hose, hopefully your using a thermostat and drilling some holes in it to make sure there is always some flow. Sorry for getting off topic, but just giving you some things to look out during your intake install.

x2

Chop the fittings off the cell. The cells are made for carb set ups.

Also are you using the foam?

Here's mine.
P2150098.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I see your blocking your bypass hose, hopefully your using a thermostat and drilling some holes in it to make sure there is always some flow.

I use a stock T-stat with the guts cut out of it. :D

The intake will not fit without using thicker gaskets on the TA heads. I had to use a .120 thick gasket. The TA heads are a little bit taller, since they are so thick.
I expected the intake/head combination might take oddball gaskets... I didn't order anything yet, just for that reason. I appreciate the heads-up. It's nice to hear from others who run the same combo so I know what to expect.
I understand the TA heads like a much longer pushrod too ? (8.900-ish?)
FWIW, I also have a set of .045 Cometics to use. Hopefully no issues with them.

You need to use an intake spacer made by champion or the TB up pipe will be in the way of the turbo inlet if it is 4".
Are you saying the Champion setup locates the throttle body lower than the stock intake and 70mm TB/plenum ?
I had a stock intake with Precision 70mm plenum/Accufab 70mm TB and they fit perfectly with the 4"/3" 70GTQ and FMIC uppipe.
If I do indeed need this spacer, I'll order one. Who keeps them in stock ? :cool:

BTW. I called TA and they said the heads should be here Thursday.
The fuel system will be here tomorrow.

I wouldn;t say the intake is lower than a stock one, but the precision plenum moves the TB up a little bit higher maybe 3/8" inch thats why it fits a bit better. Tom sells the spacer its about .900 tall. The pushrods will also have to be a bit longer, you are correct. My cometic head gaskets are seeping oil between the head and the block. This is probably due to the wrong finish on the block or deck surface, something you should also look into before you have a leaking monster like i do.

I wouldn;t say the intake is lower than a stock one, but the precision plenum moves the TB up a little bit higher maybe 3/8" inch. Tom sells the spacer its about .900 tall.

10-4

I'll probably wait 'till I get the motor between the fenders and see if I have any clearence issues.

Back