Looking for some parts opinions

OK. So lets discuss this now. Let's say I'm going with the factory 4.1 intake and a M4MC/E quadrajet. How do I solve the problem of the front mounted fuel inlet? The E4ME equipt 4.1 motors had a side-mount fuel inlet. The front mounted ones cause problems with the thermostat housing. How did others who have made this conversion get around this?

I chose the M4MC/E because it had all the emissions provisions and electric choke (the ME did, the MC you can get a kit). After some research I found that they are 750 cfm (the only other size is 800) but will only run as much as the engine desires (a mild 350 only opens the air valve to 600 cfm). Will I have to change the size of the jets/metres for this to run more efficiently on a 231? If so, where would I buy the parts to set this carb up for a V6? Could I just use E4ME internals?

The fuel inlet is my main concern right now though.

As far as the inlet position the E4ME I have off of a 4.1 has the inlet on the front, not the side. YOu need to go junkyarding to find the internal parts. Been doing this for years so I have plenty of parts. YOu can check evil bay and maybe you'll get lucky since the only company that was reproducing the parts was Carter for Edelbrock. Since they stopped making the Q-jet again the parts are NOS if you're lucky.

So after much thinking, I'm going with the stock 4.1 intake (which I still have to find) and an Edelbrock 500cfm (Thanks for the suggestion Dr. Frank) with the Edelbrock adapter so the carb will work on the manifold.

Is anyone running with this combo? If so, how do you like it?

Also, is the Edelbrock Performer-Plus camsaft a decent pick?

Also, am I going to have hood clearence problems? The 4.1 intake is low rise. add .850" becasue of the adapter, the edelbrock carb, and a factory 4bbl air cleaner.

What car or chassis is your engine going in?
About hood clearance on my own car ('84 regal) I had the least amount of clearance with the drawthru system, namely a air cleaner stud that was a litle too long plus it's off center of the engine block and on the torque side of the engine block so it was always the first thing to rise and make or want to make contact with the hood. Then siwtch to a 4.1 intake add a 3/4" spacer and then a Qjet with a 4" Spectre carb hat. No hood clearance issues, Then switch intakes again to the Weiand/Yunick unit which is taller than a 4.1, Add a mighty Demon carb with the same 4" Spectre carb hat. Again no issues, and just to check I swapped the Demon for the 3/4 spacer and the Qjet with the 4" spectre carb hat again still on the Weiand/Yunick and still had enough clearance. So I always had less clearance with the stock drawthru system with or without the stock Qjet hat or an air cleaner, it always came down to: location location location.

Well I`m a little slow responding to this, but as-far as the exhaust... I`d remover the cat(depending on what state your in) if you can`t, get a Flowmaster Cat and get Flowmaster 80s... They sound awesome on my friends stock 3.8 Camero, he ran true duals right off the headers to the back... sounds like a V8, hes got me beat:biggrin: I plan on getting some 80s myself for $60 installed:eek: I have some connections at Muffler Man:biggrin:

Well I`m a little slow responding to this, but as-far as the exhaust... I`d remover the cat(depending on what state your in) if you can`t, get a Flowmaster Cat and get Flowmaster 80s... They sound awesome on my friends stock 3.8 Camero, he ran true duals right off the headers to the back... sounds like a V8, hes got me beat:biggrin: I plan on getting some 80s myself for $60 installed:eek: I have some connections at Muffler Man:biggrin:

If you're planning on runnig NA then you're fine but if you decide to go turbo then flowbastards is the wrong choice.:eek: Aj will disagree with me but they don't flow very well on a turbo car.:eek:

If you're planning on runnig NA then you're fine but if you decide to go turbo then flowbastards is the wrong choice.:eek: Aj will disagree with me but they don't flow very well on a turbo car.:eek:

What kind would you go with the drawthru turbo that I`m doing? and I thought about running right off the left header and down pipe, past the trans, X-pipe it behind the trans, straight back and over the rear axle, then dual muffler behind the rear axle and out behind the wheels... Idk if that would give it better flow or not? or should I just do a cat back?

I would disagree.. but cant... I got rid of my mufflers completly... I run straight 3 inch pipe all the way to the un muffled sidepipes.

its a little loud...

A.j.

Nice lol:biggrin: I`m trying to stay legal... other than no cat:D are half pipes with mufflers legal? I guess it would depend on the state your in.

I thought about running right off the left header and down pipe, past the trans, X-pipe it behind the trans, straight back and over the rear axle, then dual muffler behind the rear axle and out behind the wheels..

On my '79, I just used the exhaust mid pipe (duals) from a later turbo Regal, 82-up i think. Don't recall where I got the tailpipes, might've been Midas.

I bet you could just buy a cat-back system for a later GN. There are a lot of good choices out there.

Your right Walt. You can get the stainless Pypes system and not only get duals but it's stainless so it won't rust out as easily.

I haven't decided on what exhaust I'm going to run but I've got a 3" down pipe now so the system will most likely be a 3" single with 2 mufflers.

I`ll look into the Dyno`s... just looked on youtube, but can`t find any V6`s with them:( Cat backs are nice, but expensive! I`ll just make my own:biggrin: