Looking into another GN: needs minor finishing, how much??

LomoMike

GN Rookie
Hey guys, saw another GN pop up today. Talked to the guy. He said car is mint but is in need of minor finishing. New paint, fillers, transmission, wheels, tires, all stock except for chip, 88k original miles. Needs pass seat installed, interior door panels installed, emblems installed, glove box installed, t tops fitted and installed, and some weather stripping all around. Guy says he has ALL the parts needed for completion just been thinking about selling as is doesnt feel like doing it. Wants to out money into an 88 monte lol.

Got to talking about price, threw out a ballpark number of $12k and he said hed think about it but got back to me and said we are too far off. Details and some pics below.

How much to have someone finish up the install work?? (Im not an interior guy at all) and how much would you pay. Sounds itd be a great car all done and buttoned up. Take a look and tell me what yall think.

Details:
For sale: 1987 Buick Grand National. T-Tops. Under 88k original miles. The car is super solid and runs perfect. It has fresh paint, new rims, tires, new exhaust, fresh transmission and all new interior. The turbo has been replaced with a correct factory turbo. A super chip was installed otherwise the car is all original.
The car is not completely assembled but I have all of the parts including new seals and GM replacement emblems. Great car for an easy project and a great driver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 163
Most anyone willing to finish the car for you, would be working on a "parts and labor" basis.
Having said that, the rates around the country vary by a wide range. So, the location could be a big factor in what you actually have in the car.
A list of what you want done may help getting a "ballpark" number.
I'd take an estimate, and add 50%, to reduce "sticker shock", when you pick it up.:smuggrin:
Your offer at $12K, is about what I'm thinking...

Need some more input, thinking about upping my offer but not sure if its worth it.... Seems like a good car. Guy did say that he replaced the rear floor pans because of a small dime size hole and surface rust under the carpet. Says car is currently rust free.

I believe your offer was more than fair,if its not enough just keep looking. These are not luxury sports cars,they are regals. You can never get out of them what you put in, unless its gnx. Almost everyone that owns one will tell you the same thing, i got upteen thousands in the motor alone and countless thousands more in other upgrades but can never get that money back out of the car when selling, dont be in hurry,wait for the best deal for yourself to come along,believe me it will. Thanks Gene.

PS, i see your in long island, give Dave Husek, he is in freeport. Perhaps he can help you find what your looking for.

What is a "super chip"?
Why is all this stuff out? I'm guessing to put in the floors? If you do decide to get serious I'd find a good body man that you trust to look over the floor pan install. No telling what kind of hack job it could be, or it might be perfect and you can't even tell the floors have been replaced.
Either way good luck with your search.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

The problem with re-assembling something that was disassembled is that 1) even if it was done by you- if this is not something you do often, it will be a PITA, 2) If it wasn't done by you- as in this case- it will be a ROYAL PITA. You'll have no idea how things went together, missing clips, screws, etc...

The items you mention are no big deal and should be self explanatory. Only red flag is the floor pan rust. I would want to see what the issue looked like before the repair, the actual repair (some people are hackers so I'd want to see the quality of the work) and the rest of the floor to be safe. You don't get a rust hole from minor surface rust. Maybe a t-top leak? Will new correct GM t-top seals be included in the purchase? Any repairs to the t-top area?

How's the rest of the floor? Is it soft feeling? Will it need to be replaced as well? Personally, I'd avoid a car with any hint of rust issues. Too much can be wrong.
If you're willing to spend more, why not look at rust free cars?

Just had another thought. If this car is as good as the seller claims, why in the world would he sell it to dump money in a Monte? Doesn't make much sense to me. Suspicious. (But then again I'm not a Monte fan.)

I had a 88 Monte SS with T's that was only 10yrs old and had 140,000ish kms ( right around 88,000 miles) and had exactly the same rust in the rear floor pan but not in the front wtf? eh. I ended up sandblasting the complete underside of the car, inside the trunk 1/4's (outside was ok), rust was eating the pinch weld seams almost everywhere. This is where undercoating should make you run the other way.

Every car is unique and outside pics are only a fraction of the package. Nothing like that kick in the nuts when you find out your dream car needs 20k worth of rust repair.

If it is such an easy project as stated by seller, why doesnt he easily finish it and sell as a completed running car?? I would be leary buying another persons uncompleted project.