Looking to Find some work in DFW Area

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Well the job in Midland cut the bonus they were paying. They didn't cut the salary so the "high ups" didn't get cut but us workin' stiffs did. Unfortunately this puts me into the position that I can't meet my obligations in Midland. The cost of living hasn't fallen enough and my lease was up so I am looking to relocate to DFW or elsewhere. Just have to make a living.

I have a Class A CDL (HAZMAT, doubles/triples, tanker, air brakes) with a good driving record and work history. Prefer to be home every night but will look at other options. I am currently employed by Schlumberger in Midland(I'm on vacation). I have worked for an under car wholesaler selling to the muffler shops in the Southeast Texas area until the owner sold the business and we went to Midland. Before that I worked for an Outdoor Power Equipment Dealer selling and servicing both commercial and residential equipment. Prior to that I worked for a Fire Protection contractor installing and servicing Fire Alarms and Fire Sprinkler Systems. I did city P&D for SAIA Motor Freight and worked for The Anheuser/Busch Distributor in Ft. Worth delivering beer.

I'm not afraid to work. I am a self starter and work well with others. I can also work with minimal or no supervision.

I've been searching CraigsList and the other sites on the net.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm over at my mother's in Arlington for now. Might try to get out to Kennedale or somewhere else to see some racing. Anything else going on in the M-Plex?

Thanks

Found some pix from an outing at the motorplex. I think around 1990 or so.

Richinstaging.jpg

QwikTBurnout.jpg

QwikTBurnout.jpg

PamNJerryGSX.jpg

PaminDaPits.jpg

PamnJerry-1.jpg

ThePits2.jpg

ThePits1-2.jpg

ThePits1-2.jpg

StageTwoBurnOut.jpg

though someone might enjoy them.

Rich, try Haliburton.jobs. I'm about to try them myself. They are always looking for drivers and techs. Good luck and I'm in Hillsboro.:biggrin:

I have a vintage tech I will ask tomorrow about work. We also would like to have a back up driver (CDL) for the transport.

I will re-post when I have better info.

Wow! Talk about the good ol' days of the Buicks getting together in Texas. Thanks for posting up the pics.

No surprise about Schlumberger's corporate philosophy. I used to work for YPF / Repsol at one time. If you prefer to stick with your CDL and drive, there is a massive Wal-Mart distribution center somewhere around Cleburne if I remember correctly. There is also Hanson Pipe in Grand Prairie and TXI in Midlothian. I know that those two are going to be around for a long time. I heard somewhere that Hanson Pipe is booked with contracts for the next twenty years.

Hanson Pipe & Precast

Thanks for the leads guys. Heading over to Haliburton and Hanson sites.

Back in the day I loved to run the car(Still would if I didn't have so much else to do.) I am over at my mother's in Arlington. I went to pick up a pizza for the squids and there was a car show at little road and I20. Wished I had known, I would have planned accordingly.

Still working on my HG replacement. Car is in my trailer out at one of our freinds place in Godley. Rest of my stuff is in storage in Midland.

I have a vintage tech I will ask tomorrow about work. We also would like to have a back up driver (CDL) for the transport.

I will re-post when I have better info.

Any info on the back up driver deal?

I have been emailing around resumes and searching on the 'net. Exchanged some info between prospective employers but no solid deal yet. Gotta go back to Midland to take the squids to the dentist, orthodontist and the arm doctor for the girl. Still searching out there for a economical place to live but haven't got anything there either except a decent benefit, low paying job and all our stuff in storage.

I'm thinking of asking them for some unpaid leave as I don't want to burn that bridge, also going to ask them to transfer me to the Cleburne location. Worst they could say is no. I still have at least a week of vacation left after this one. I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Thanks for all the support.

Well, got out and beat the bushes a little today. Lots of things change and lots stay the same. Stopped and saw some people I haven't seen in a while. Met some new people put in about seven apps and went to about ten places( three not accepting apps).

Got about 5 or 6 more places on the list for monday and a couple of appointments for Tues.

Funny, it seemed to be the end of the world at some places and the beginning at others. Funny how perspective works.

I will say centerport up off trinity blvd and n 360 sure has grown. I can't believe how much a stadium can change a landscape in N Arlington. I30 is off the chain. Center and N Collins is way goofed up.

Car is in my trailer out at one of our freinds place in Godley.
One of our good friends and neighbors, Rich, is the principle at Godley High if your friends have any kids going there :)

One of my wife's good friend just had her twin boys graduate from there and her daughter goes there. We have been looking out that way. The MIL lives in Joshua and that's where the wife graduated from. Kinda need a job to get some housing though. Still on the hunt. Put in a bunch of applications. Still have a few more places on the list. Playing the waiting game. See who I can get to interview me.

Well, I didn't find anything solid yet. The job in Midland called and wanted me to work so I did another hitch out there. A couple different friends let me use their couch, shower and washing machines. Not really ideal but it keeps the income flowing.

I found a place in Dallas hiring apprentice electricians. Anyone know anything about electricianing? Is is a hard and/or lengthy process to become a journeyman? As near as I can tell to become an apprentice electrician you give the state $20 and register and they give you an apprentice license.

I'm hoping to be in Arlington in a week or two. I did manage to score this htc phone. Mobile I-net is pretty nifty.

Glad to hear you got some work Rich. I got lucky this last week myself. I actually got 38 & 3/4 hours this week. That's the most I've had in months.

Cool, flowing income is good.

The discounted stock purchase is this week so I'm not sure how I'll do but it should net a couple hundred extra dollars. That's really all that is keeping me on this job. Being away from the family just isn't my style. We'll see what I can turn up next time I'm in town.

I'm hoping to be in Arlington in a week or two. I did manage to score this htc phone. Mobile I-net is pretty nifty.
Hey Rich, on a whim I took my son out to the cruise in at I-20 (06/26) Friday. There was someone there with TTA #356 and another one there with an original unmolested 21K '86 T-Type. I mentioned the Eagle GT's that were on the T and the owner told me that they were the original tires too! Next time you are around on a Friday give me a shout and I'll meet you out there if I can.

BTW -
The Buick club will be racing at Redline Raceway again on 07/11 so grab a free Slurpee and come hang out with us if you are available.
The Buick club will also be hosting another car show at Vista Ridge on 07/18.

Sounds good. I should be in town 8-13 or so but I have to take the boy to canyon to wtamu for band camp. Got the first of the little paychecks so I'm not sure it is worth going back to midland to work. Gotta do some math.

ANY money is better than none Rich, especially right now. So take what you can get until it gets better. Just keep plugging along and it will pay out sooner or later.

not so sure about that. I'm pretty sure I can get something equivalent in dfw and be with my family. Now I am out here and they are there.

not so sure about that. I'm pretty sure I can get something equivalent in dfw and be with my family. Now I am out here and they are there.

Believe me, I'm not gonna argue that 1 little, bit but until you get a bite in DFW stay where you are. Can you drive a rock or concrete truck? I have a friend that may be able to help and I can ask him to see if they need another driver if you want.

you are right there. I have the feelers out and should be back to town 8-13 so I will again be canvassing the area. I think I can drive about anything except a cycle.

Rich,

We have a guy interviewing next week to help the vintage guy out. He may not work out. If this is the case, can you have a resume ready for me to give to my GM?

I'm trying to get you in here and closer to the family.

Dan