You can type here any text you want

Lost my cool

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1BADDAM

Venomous Snake Handler
So does it look factory ?

Used the resistor off the AC unit, so I still have all four fan speeds, plus I didn't have to cut any of the factory wiring.

Attachments

• New folder 23 029.jpg
    New folder 23 029.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 260
Ooh, ooh, ooh! So you lost your cool, but kept the heat? If so, where did you find that setup. That's exactly what I want in my GN. I want to remove all the A/C plumbing but keep the heat.

1BADDAM said:
So does it look factory ?

Used the resistor off the AC unit, so I still have all four fan speeds, plus I didn't have to cut any of the factory wiring.

OMG.. you didnt.. :eek: My AC hasnt been working and it sucks big time.. today its getting fixed..

Guess if you dont take it out in the rain, or in the middle of the day with nice clothes on.. its ok.

One thing for sure.. does clean up that side of the engine comp.

87geeinn said:
Ooh, ooh, ooh! So you lost your cool, but kept the heat? If so, where did you find that setup. That's exactly what I want in my GN. I want to remove all the A/C plumbing but keep the heat.

Yes, kept the heat. Its an AC delete box that came on 82-92 F bodies. Picked it up on ebay.

Razor said:
OMG.. you didnt.. :eek: My AC hasnt been working and it sucks big time.. today its getting fixed..

Guess if you dont take it out in the rain, or in the middle of the day with nice clothes on.. its ok.

One thing for sure.. does clean up that side of the engine comp.

My car is a vampire anyway and I don't own any nice clothes so its all good ;)

Its part of the weight loss program.

My AC is blowing cold.. nah nah nah nah :p

I dated a vampiress once ;)

Very clean!

One question, I'm having my engine bay painted and like to remove the AC vapor housing, fan and stuff (then put it all back) does everything come off from the engine bay or do I have to loosen some stuff from inside the car? I'm sure I can figure it out when I get that far but thought I'll ask you Frank as you already done this.

Jan,

There are (3) 10mm bolts from the inside. Take of the pass. under dash panel
(where you get to the ECM) pull the carpet back a little and all three are right there.

(4) from the engine bay, 3 bolts, the other is a stud. Stud has two nuts on
it, one for the wire loom, 2nd is to hold the AC unit.

Little bit of a PIA to get out, but I assume your motor won't be in the way. :D HTH

Thanks Frank, have to get down there to get my engine harness out anyway.

Transmission came out today and engine is ready to be pulled just need to order the engine crane this week and it will be out in a couple of minutes and in the engine stand!

Really cleans up the engine compartment but you will cook with the ttops in the summer. See how fast you can change the sparkplugs now. haha

Jason

I live in Florida and temps are 90+ right now...but I still want to do this. 1BADDAM, what part # is this and could you post some close up pics so I can see what you did with the wiring, pretty please? I still have the old R12 setup and that frickin' A/C box and accumulator gets in the way of everything when I'm working under the hood.

What?

Hi ,
Why do you want to mess with this, anyway? I'll bet you gain 10 hp max, and that will only be in the regular driving cycle. WOT, the compressor's cut off,anyway.Sure, there's a weight savings, but if you ask me,what about the comfort loss? Like Razor says,humidity will screw you, won't be able to defog the windshield, etc.
And then there's the issue of value. Why do you want to make a fine, original car into something not so valuable? It's your ride, but I would reconsider.
If there are points I haven't covered, please educate me. Good luck with your project!

87 geeinn,

Bought the AC delete box off ebay, $ 125 shipped. Guy in Canada usually has one listed,Auction

Wiring - used the 4 prong resistor off the AC unit and installed on the delete box, it keeps all four fan settings. TTA's have a two wire connector (purple & black) going to the fan motor, delete box has a single power spade connector and separate spade ground connector. Hooked the two wire connector to just the power spade and made a jumper wire to go the ground. Jumped the AC pressure switch so I can make adjustments with the Extender chip. Did nothing with the relay.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 53
  • CU1.jpg
    CU1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 53
  • CU2.jpg
    CU2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 45
87geeinn said:
I live in Florida and temps are 90+ right now...but I still want to do this. 1BADDAM, what part # is this and could you post some close up pics so I can see what you did with the wiring, pretty please? I still have the old R12 setup and that frickin' A/C box and accumulator gets in the way of everything when I'm working under the hood.

This is for a TTA ya know.. I didnt see one listed in your sig or screen name :confused:

Quiky One said:
Really cleans up the engine compartment but you will cook with the ttops in the summer. See how fast you can change the sparkplugs now. haha

Jason

Box is not in the way for plugs.. if anything drops engine removal time.

I removed mine before I had any idea that I would move out of Michigan. Now I'm in Vegas and damn is it hot. The coolest time to take the car out is around 4am. Can't seem to find anyone to race that isn't completely loaded from the bar at that time of the night. I now am considering putting the A/C back on. However, it does make it easier to work on the passenger side of the compartment.

Razor,

Is the GN and TTA system that much different? I thought even though this was done on a TTA, it could be modified for a GN. I know your an electrical guru, so is it possible?

1BADDAM,

Thanks for the info. If this is not possible on my GN, then I'm sorry you went through all the trouble with the pics, etc. I have this forum link saved in my favorites if that means anything.

I grew up in Florida, so I'm used to rediculously hot weather. Most of the time I'm wearing a bathing suit and flip flops in the summer and not much else. I realize it's a matter of opinion, but I'm not afraid of sweating. The colder the A/C, the worse the heat feels when you get out in it. I prefer crusing with the windows down. That's how I roll. BTW, if I could do this "mod," it would be simply for the less clutter and ease of working in the engine bay. I consider the weight loss simply as a small collateral benefit. Keep in mind, this is not my daily driver, which BTW my daily driver has no A/C also. ;)

I also understand the argument concerning taking away the original look. However, I like the stock look on the outside (down to the original stock GN wheels/no 22's etc.), but stock looking under the hood is a non-issue to me. If I converted, to r134a, how stock appearing is that? As far as depriciating the value of the car, I EVER plan on getting rid of my baby.

BTW, anyone know where I could thieve some R12? My compressor works and it seems to still have some slight bit of pressure when I hit the little schrader valves on the lines.

87 geeinn, go to a local body shop, they will have some R12. Not Maaco but a full bodyshop. My bodyshop has lots as when cars are wrecked it can leak all the freon out. Just a thought...

Jason

Back