Loud POP from alternator when trying to start car

87gninpa

Just finished cleaning up the grounds on the back of the pass side head. Got everything back together, connected battery, everything was fine at this point. Went to start the car and as soon as the key went to run there was a very loud pop from the alternator (sounded like a backfire, but it definitely came from the alternator), shut the key to off right away.

Now, with the key on, everything works fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Havent attempted to start it again, it scared the crap out of me. Any ideas on what happened? Should I try to start it again?

Anyone? Since the last time it was started and running all Ive touched is the ground wires from the main harness. Even if they were disconnected completely it shouldnt affect the alternator or charging system. I was thinking disconnecting the charge wire from the alternator and starting the car using only the battery, however, that really doesnt take care of my problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sounds to me like you pop a diode or the regulator built in voltage shock your best bet is to see if its charging you going to have to start it!! To check it

If damage was done already it don't matter nothing will blow up I guarantee that one just see if its charging if its bad pull it if not leave it that's just my opinion. Be sure to check fuses !! Also with a pop like that who knows good luck:D

Just be sure when you start the car put a load on the alt by putting lights on wipes blower motor etc.... you want to make sure it will take a load just by starting and putting a meter on it don't mean your good you want to see if its doing its job on a full load.......

Thank guys, started the car this morning is it turned over first crank. Had 14.5 volts at the alternator while running. Shut the car off and tried to start it with the headlights on and it would just crank. Pulled the alternator and took it back to Autozone (lifetime warranty), they tested it and it said good. They ended up giving me another one anyway. Ill throw it in when I get home, hopefully everythings ok. The alternator was a rebuilt from Autozone about 4 days old, haha. At least they have a lifetime warranty.

That's why I bought my starter from them life time warranty 30min job if it ever goes and its made in usa!!!! Did you ever figure out your running prob? The reason I told you check your injectors is because mine had the same prob I ohm 1 of my injectors and it was staying open and dumping fuel!! I wanted 69pnders anyway but that fixed my prob I know you did not agree with me but the prob you were having could be 4 different simptoms you know how these cars are one day good and the next your pulling your hair now I have oanother prob it never ends anyways good luck with fixing your car am sure we will be posting again and again:eek:talk to you soon Tommy:cool:

Anyone? Since the last time it was started and running all Ive touched is the ground wires from the main harness. Even if they were disconnected completely it shouldnt affect the alternator or charging system. I was thinking disconnecting the charge wire from the alternator and starting the car using only the battery, however, that really doesnt take care of my problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

i have seen a lot of failed alternators over the years and even more failed electronic components-------but a pop that sounds like a backfire and there is not clear evidence of a failure-------i'll take a really long bet that sound did not come from the alternator................RC

I'd have to agree with Rich on this one, and I'm even older than he is. :eek:

In all my decades of working on cars, I've heard a lot strange noises coming from failing alternators, but NEVER have I heard a loud pop/backfire type noise.

The air cleaner's pretty close to the alternator, a loud intake backfire would sound like coming from that general area.

I was staring right at it when my fiance turned the key, it was definitely the alternator and a bit of smoke came out of it. Even she saw the smoke. I looked everywhere because I didnt believe it either. No burnt wires, no blown fuses, etc. It definitely did not come out of the intake, the car didnt even begin to crank before the pop. Never had a chance to start. Then this morning it started right up on the first crank. Its definitely weird, what else do you guys think it could have been? Got a replacement alternator this morning, going to throw it on when I get home. I was supposed to drive this car on a 2 1/2 hour trip tomorrow but now Im not so sure...