You can type here any text you want

Lower boost with new headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BenPutnam

I just installed a set of the TA style Chineese headers and my boost dropped from around 22lbs to 17lbs. They seem bigger than my old headers, is this normal?

I made the mistake of purchasing a set of the china headers off ebay about 8 months ago (only b/c I had a crack in my driver side header). They were only $225.00 and did not look bad in the photos (the set I purchased provided they had larger runners as well and would give some performance gains). So after installing them onto the heads I realized they did fit the heads however they would not line up with the turbo support bracket which bolts to the block (passenger side). So I made a few calls and was informed that the turbo bracket was not absolutely necessary if the passenger side header was strong enough to support the weight of the turbo. After assembling everything I went for a test drive to find out that they were leaking so bad that they would barely spin the turbo (it was a new te60 turbo and I knew the shaft spun freely). I checked the cross over pipe clamps and it looked a little loose so I tightened up the clamp (fyi- it was not a good v-band clamp but rather a cheap flimsy clamp made of an alloy similar to aluminum, very weak) to bring the cross over pipe closer together. Well needless to say, it still did not stop the leak and eventually the clamp bent out of shape. Then the welded lip on the header broke! What junk! So after re-welding the lip and trying to secure the pipes I still was barely able to spin the turbo. Now completely frustrated, off came the junk china headers and I reinstalled my repaired factory pipes. Everything worked great, instant boost! I have learned my lesson. You get what you pay for. As for the junk china headers I put in a claim through Paypal and was refunded my money after sending back the china junk. I have been told the factory headers are good up to high tens.....so until I go faster than that I will be using the factory units. Just so you know, I am not the first one to have problems with the china headers, I was warned but I did not listen. Learned my lesson the hard way, hope you have better luck!

I bought these from someone on this board and he told me they were the chineese headers but I misunderstood him and thought they were not the chineese headers. Anyway, they look good but that's about it. The guy that installed them for me welded up all the leaks and did lots of work to seal the cross over pipe but somehow they lowered my boost. I may take my old stock ones and have them welded up again.

If your referring to the headers which Mark Hueffman (TR Custom Parts) was selling from a post originally entered in 2008 these ARE NOT the headers I was referring to (his headers were good quality). The headers I purchased were off of ebay and were junk (they were chromed, had cheap band clamps, poor welds, leaked like crazy, and cost $225.00). Can you post a pic of the headers?

if you want to see some china headers opened go to cottonsperformance.com. Click on forum at the top left. Got to the shop progress pictures section then click on the downpipe one. There are some good pics in there and it gives you an idea of how much work it takes to make them work.

+1 for stock or TA headers

Do you think it's the bigger runners that are hurting it or some other problem with them?

Do you think it's the bigger runners that are hurting it or some other problem with them?

if they're not leaking anymore the bigger runners are likely the cause. do a search, stock headers are adequate unless you're pushing low 10's.

bigger runners = less pressure = less boost

china headers

I just installed a set of the TA style Chineese headers and my boost dropped from around 22lbs to 17lbs. They seem bigger than my old headers, is this normal?

This should answer your question! Number 2 does not even hit the head surface.

Attachments

• china made headers 001.jpg
    china made headers 001.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 341
Depends on which chinese headers you got, agreed...

Our 1 3/4 headers made 22 more rwhp over stockers on a 10.5 set up... We think the 1 5/8ths would have been better. But still an increase over stock either way!

It is not only the size as much as design and proper flow...

Depends on which chinese headers you got, agreed...

Our 1 3/4 headers made 22 more rwhp over stockers on a 10.5 set up... We think the 1 5/8ths would have been better. But still an increase over stock either way!

It is not only the size as much as design and proper flow...

Was this untouched stock ones on race ported heads? If yes have you compared to a set of stockers that has been welded around the ports and opened up to uncover the exhaust ports?

Was this untouched stock ones on race ported heads? If yes have you compared to a set of stockers that has been welded around the ports and opened up to uncover the exhaust ports?

Ported stockers. The car we tested these headers on has been 10.30 with iron heads at 3500#s. The stock manifolds were matched to the ports.

I also purchased a set of those ebay chinese made headers,and they are still sitting brand new in the box they came in.After reading all the horror stories about them I have no desire to install them on the car.I just welded the cracked drivers side manifold instead...

Back