LQ9 rear cam sensor delete .

Kwikr1

Bare with me. This LS stuff is very new to me .and it’s a big learning curve for me . What is the reasoning with removing the cam sensor on the rear of a LQ9 block and going with a Gen IV cam sensor on front cover ? Is it because the new LS cam shafts do not have the provisions for a rear block cam sensor ? Thanks .

Thanks for the reply chuck .my crank is a 1x . The timing gear sets for this switch come in both 1x and 4x. .

Yep. Some of the early GTO's had a ft mtd 1X.
The cranks are either 24, or 58X.

Bare with me. This LS stuff is very new to me .and it’s a big learning curve for me . What is the reasoning with removing the cam sensor on the rear of a LQ9 block and going with a Gen IV cam sensor on front cover ? Is it because the new LS cam shafts do not have the provisions for a rear block cam sensor ? Thanks .
I know this thread is a little old but to answer your question it's because gm changed everything over to the nose of the cam because of the dod (displacement on demand) and also the vvt (variable valve timing) that is on the gen 4 engines. When I build these for my customers I just buy the old school 3 bolt cam and different front cover and do away with all of that modern bull crap

I know this thread is a little old but to answer your question it's because gm changed everything over to the nose of the cam because of the dod (displacement on demand) and also the vvt (variable valve timing) that is on the gen 4 engines. When I build these for my customers I just buy the old school 3 bolt cam and different front cover and do away with all of that modern bull crap

I guess you can do that if you pick up the cam signal from a cam that still has the provision on the rear of the cam . I notice some cams are ground GEN III/ GEN. IV . Those type of cams would allow you do that .... correct ? Lots of cool “different” stuff to learn with these LS engines . You have to literally forget that old school SBC/BBC stuff and put it on a shelf . The hardest thing for me so far ... is the accessory drives and different combinations that are available for swaps . The aftermarket is exploding with this ls stuff ! When I first started this build I thought .. how much better can this stuff be than the GEN 1 sbc/bbc stuff . I changed my mind real quickly when I tore down this LQ9 . Like night and day . The engineers at GM really did their homework on this LS stuff . They must of done something right . The Mustang Ford guys are yanking out the Ford engines and dropping in LS stuff ! check out the “Knuckle Heads”(The Sloppy Mechanic) that are bolting on turbos to junkyard ls engines and making 1000 hp+ . Lol unreal !

Last edited:
I guess you can do that if you pick up the cam signal from a cam that still has the provision on the rear of the cam . I notice some cams are ground GEN III/ GEN. IV . Those type of cams would allow you do that .... correct ? Lots of cool “different” stuff to learn with these LS engines . You have to literally forget that old school SBC/BBC stuff and put it on a shelf . The hardest thing for me so far ... is the accessory drives and different combinations that are available for swaps . The aftermarket is exploding with this ls stuff ! When I first started this build I thought .. how much better can this stuff be than the GEN 1 sbc/bbc stuff . I changed my mind real quickly when I tore down this LQ9 . Like night and day . The engineers at GM really did their homework on this LS stuff . They must of done something right . The Mustang Ford guys are yanking out the Ford engines and dropping in LS stuff ! check out the “Knuckle Heads”(The Sloppy Mechanic) that are bolting on turbos to junkyard ls engines and making 1000 hp+ . Lol unreal !
Exactly right gm did a great job on these engines no doubt