lt1 starter

On the AC Delco site, I chose the pulldown menu called "vehicle list by part number".

For the LT1 Starter :

ACDelco Part #323-488

Description: STARTER,(REMAN)
Results 1 to 14 (14 total)

Year Make Model Engine
1997 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28 V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1997 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1997 PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 BUICK ROADMASTER LIMITED WAGON V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28 V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CHEVROLET CAPRICE CLASSIC V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28 V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P

Result Pages: 1

so yes, it does appear to be available only as "remanufactured". But by the time they bead-blast the housing, replace bearlings, etc, I've always felt it's really just as good as new, if done under GM's oversight.

BTW, I've noted when doing reverse search for the "LT4" starter Delco # 10455709 , that some of the vehicle model/ engine codes that come back say "LT1". A bit confusing, hopefully it's all correct!

For completeness, here are the Delco search results for the LT4 Starter :
ACDelco Part #10455709

Description: STARTER,
Results 1 to 10 (10 total)

Year Make Model Engine
1996 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 5
1995 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 LT1 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1993 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1992 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1991 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 8
1990 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 8
1989 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 8
1988 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 8

Result Pages: 1

I have a friend who sold his 454 Chevelle he never installed his mini starter. How much of a gamble would it be ?? I looked for #s so I could cross reference It, I saw nothing. The bolts dont look offset so I'm guessing It could be alright anybody a betting man ??

anyone think about emailing the impalla or 4th gen list for take offs???? maybe they can hook us up??

i found one with the part # 323-485

anyone know if that works? i am getting delco #'s 480 and 488 now 485 can anyone confirm?

thanks

mini starters.

You can get the mini starters from www.turbobuicks.com
$125 US Dollars. Shipping is included in the price. (In the U.S.)
Outside of the U.S. may cost you on the shipping.
Check them out. Heck........ It even comes with the bolts!

Hope this Helps. :)

Hi TT4U2NV, did you buy one of thoses starters? What do you think of them since they are not made in US?

PAUL

Not to bad of a starter. If I ever need it rebuilt. The local starter/alternator shop can do it. :)

LT4 starters also came in 100 1997 Camro SS's. God luck finding one in a junkyard though.:D

I have an LT1 Starter brand new in the box..No bolts, it is a reman unit....$100 shipped!

LT-4 LT-4 LT-4 LT-4 LT-4 LT-4 LT-4

This thread certainly shows that the LT-4 starter is preferable over the LT-1 starter.

So, hoping it helps those who think there's only 1 mini-starter, and/or think the LT-1 is the same as the LT-4, let's send it back up top! :)

TTT :)

Ordered my new LT4 starter today, local NAPA store is nabbing it from the local AC/Delco warehouse: $135.00 no shipping.

Will it sound like a Mopar when it cranks? If so, I'll open the dump and tell the hoes it's a Hemi :cool:

Thanks for all your help!

Jimmy

Originally posted by UNGN
I wrote this last summer. A little more Info on this swap:

I installed my LT-1 ministarter last weekend. I bought the Corvette unit (nippondenso) because it was new and did not require a core. Part numbers:

10455709 - Corvette High Torque Starter -$166.49
12338064 - bolts 2.55 each
14037733 - bolts 3.52 each

Total came to about $180 including shipping from Dal at Van DeVere Olds.

The install was straight forward. The Crossover pipe needs to be removed, but since I replaced it four years ago, it came off easily. The Battery cable needs to be stretched to fit, but just makes it. The solenoid wire just barely fit also. Both wires have some slack when installed, but the plastic wire looms limit their movement for installation.

The difference in the bolts are that the stock bolts are about 1/2" too long (A true cheap-skate/hack like myself would re-use them) but for $6 it isn't worth the trouble of spacers.

The new Starter gear is about .100" closer to the mounting face than stock so about .100 of shim is required. A 1/16" and a 1/32" worked for me. You have to snip off the holding tab on the shims because it will hit the Transmission cooling lines if you don't. Shims were about $3.00 for a pack from auto parts store (help! or motormite)

When you take off your old starter, you run into the first really bad deal: Your flywheel may be a burred mess - mine was (still is) this will cause the new starter some grief until you deburr it (time consuming) or it deburrs itself (a couple hundred or so starts). The old starter teeth had been worn into knife edges so the burrs were no problem. I'll take care of mine when I get my tools out of storage.

Bad deal number two: the new starter doesn't come with nuts. The solenoid nut can be re-used, but the battery nut is too big. The nuts that hold the bumper supports to the bumper are the perfect size. (the one you removed to mount the airbag filler ;) M8x1.25 )

This is one of those repairs that can be done in 1 hr. It took me three beacause I didn't know what I was doing (thought I could get away with not taking off the crossover - wrong) and I still have to deburr my flexplate (I'll still drive it and just endure the weird looks)

Total weight savings:

The stock starter and bolts weighed 17.4 lbs.

The new starter and bolts weighs 9.0 lbs.

It was easier than trying to lose 8 lbs dieting.

The part number above quoted is for the LT-4 starter, which is the only mini-starter available new. Probably just a typo.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Also remember the LT-4 is even smaller & lighter than the LT-1.)

Just a note. There are some errors in the AC Delco catalog. The air conditioner accumulator listed for the turbo Buicks is wrong (at least, a couple of years ago). The turbo cars share it with the full size trucks and it's different from the naturally aspirated Regals. So, some of the starter listings may be off too.

Ungn has the right numbers. You want the lt4, it's lighter, stronger, more powerfull, and CHEAPER than the lt1 :cool: