lt1 starter

Gbodyparts.com lists the LT-1 starter. Note, this starter fits the large flywheel, where the mounting bolts are diagonal from each other. I put a used one on my '76 C20 truck with large flywheel. It helped clear the headers. If I had the small flywheel I wouldn't have interference. I have cheap used Camaro headers.

I got the starter at a swap meet ($5). I was told that it was from a 1995 Impala SS. It is definitely different from the original starter in my 1996 Impala SS. The 1996 uses the small flywheel.

I'm not sure which flywheel our cars use. It been over 10 years since I did the trans in my Regal.

rangelov said:
I got the starter at a swap meet ($5). I was told that it was from a 1995 Impala SS. It is definitely different from the original starter in my 1996 Impala SS. The 1996 uses the small flywheel.

I'm not sure which flywheel our cars use. It been over 10 years since I did the trans in my Regal.

That starter may have been from a L99 Caprice. Just slightly larger than the LT1 but smaller than the stock Buick/SBC. Some of the TBI SBC's are using something simular to the L99 starter too.

Not sure on the size of FW but any starter that will fit a Chevy with the 153 tooth FW will fit a Buick V-6/V-8. The housing must have the straight across bolt pattern.

I found a starter here locally guy says it a corvette starter part number 10455702. Will this work on a 168 tooth flywheel..thanks

Cme2fly said:
I found a starter here locally guy says it a corvette starter part number 10455702. Will this work on a 168 tooth flywheel..thanks

That one is 153 tooth only. It will fit the Buicks. General rule of thumb on Chevy starters. If the mounting bolts are straight across than that is the small 153 tooth FW. Diagonal mounting than its the larger 168 tooth FW. Sometimes you can swap the drive housing but I dont think you can do it to this starter.

TTT :cool:
Thought there was sme chatter about some of the starters not holding up because of the nose . . . something like that. :confused:

G-body's starter

I just looked at the Gbodyparts starter pictures. The starter mounting bolts are straight across and mounted to a Buick turbo V-6 . This indicates the starter fits a 153 tooth flywheel. Yet, he states in the description that "Fits 168 tooth flywheel only".

I'm confused or is he wrong? :confused:

Eric,

Thanks for clearing things up.

It has been about 13 years since I've looked at my Regals flywheel. That's when I rebuilt the trans. I didn't know how many teeth were on the flywheel.