lt1 starter

JASON

THE ORIGANL FREAKZILLA
is it true i can get a starter of a lt1 and it will be the same as a mini starter (light weight) if so how much lighter is it? thanks

mine is off a LT1 powered cadilac...:)

alot lighter more powerful and sounds much much better than the tipical boat anchor starters that come on them.

just make sure you get the bolts when you get the starter.

lt-1 starter

Please tell us year/make/model of donor cars. I have never heard of this but am interested.

LT-1 starter

Will any lt-1 or lt-4 starter bolt right up? camaro,t-a,vette,imp ss? Please give us details.

i think the vette has the biger flexplate ..

the way to make sure is that the bolts are directly across from each other on small flexplate which fits the buick motor

if the bolts for the starter are diaginal then it is big flexplate and wont bolt to the buick motor

the imp. and all other b-body's are the right ones but not sure of the f-bodys ...just check the bolt pattern.

LT1 Starter?

Are you guys trying to say that a Vette starter will work on a GN? What year and model vette? I can get a brandy new one at my other job! Let me know please!!!!!

You want a starter from a 1996-1997 LT1 powered vehicle. The Vette would only have it on the 1996 model year. 97 and newer are LS1's.

I believe that

LT1 starter, AC/Delco # 323-488 = GM # 10465293 .

LT4 starter, Delco # is same as GM # 10455709 .

from
http://www.acdelco.com/html/index.htm
you can do a "reverse search" and list ALL cars that use these particular Delco part #.

BE CAREFUL in a junkyard, though, because I just looked at Autozone.com for a vehicle that uses the LT4 starter, a 1996 Corvette, and Autozone says ACDelco #323-1245.

Turns out ACDelco.com ALSO shows this #323-1245 starter beung used on a 1996 Corvette, and this is the gorilla 23 lb starter.

So it seems that a given model car could use either the lightweight LT4 #10455709 or the heavy #323-1245 .

Yes, that is about as good as it gets. Don't forget to buy the new bolts and include shipping charges, too.

Guess I'm still a bit confused :confused: --
does the LT4 definitely fit in the 86-87 TRs?

And if so, does the LT4 use the same special mounting bolts required by the LT1, GM#12338064 and GM#14037733 ?

With no core charge and lighter weight, the LT4 would seem to be the preferred setup.

I did some google searching and found that the LT4 starter is a popular bolt-in upgrade for Impala SS owners. The orignal Impala starters are the same as the LT1 starter which fits the Buick, so I'm taking the chance and ordered the starter and bolts from GM Parts Direct.

Warning: GM Parts direct has good prices, but they really whack you on shipping charges! Total was 160$ plus $40 shipping ($14 of that shipping charge is for the bolts)! :eek:

-Mike

I wrote this last summer. A little more Info on this swap:

I installed my LT-1 ministarter last weekend. I bought the Corvette unit (nippondenso) because it was new and did not require a core. Part numbers:

10455709 - Corvette High Torque Starter -$166.49
12338064 - bolts 2.55 each
14037733 - bolts 3.52 each

Total came to about $180 including shipping from Dal at Van DeVere Olds.

The install was straight forward. The Crossover pipe needs to be removed, but since I replaced it four years ago, it came off easily. The Battery cable needs to be stretched to fit, but just makes it. The solenoid wire just barely fit also. Both wires have some slack when installed, but the plastic wire looms limit their movement for installation.

The difference in the bolts are that the stock bolts are about 1/2" too long (A true cheap-skate/hack like myself would re-use them) but for $6 it isn't worth the trouble of spacers.

The new Starter gear is about .100" closer to the mounting face than stock so about .100 of shim is required. A 1/16" and a 1/32" worked for me. You have to snip off the holding tab on the shims because it will hit the Transmission cooling lines if you don't. Shims were about $3.00 for a pack from auto parts store (help! or motormite)

When you take off your old starter, you run into the first really bad deal: Your flywheel may be a burred mess - mine was (still is) this will cause the new starter some grief until you deburr it (time consuming) or it deburrs itself (a couple hundred or so starts). The old starter teeth had been worn into knife edges so the burrs were no problem. I'll take care of mine when I get my tools out of storage.

Bad deal number two: the new starter doesn't come with nuts. The solenoid nut can be re-used, but the battery nut is too big. The nuts that hold the bumper supports to the bumper are the perfect size. (the one you removed to mount the airbag filler ;) M8x1.25 )

This is one of those repairs that can be done in 1 hr. It took me three beacause I didn't know what I was doing (thought I could get away with not taking off the crossover - wrong) and I still have to deburr my flexplate (I'll still drive it and just endure the weird looks)

Total weight savings:

The stock starter and bolts weighed 17.4 lbs.

The new starter and bolts weighs 9.0 lbs.

It was easier than trying to lose 8 lbs dieting.

UNGN, thx for the good tips.

I looked under my 87GN, and besides the exhaust crossover it look sthat the transmission cooler lines might be in the way of a starter replacement.

Did you have any problems with the cooler lines getting in the way?

You have to trim the starter shims to clear the cooler lines. Other than that, they don't get in the way too badly.

If you have a lift, it may be possible to do the starter without removing the crossover. I did mine on my garage floor with jackstands and there was no way the starter was coming out without taking out the crossover.

OK, after all this reading I still didn't read exactly what cars /years I can scarf an LT1 or LT4 starter? It sounds like an LT1 starter would be easier to find but not sure until I find out what vehicles I can get these from.
I will be going to a local yard so it may not be as likely to find one.
Please be more specific. Thanks

paul

Paul,

as mentioned previously I think you could do a "reverse search" at http://www.acdelco.com/html/index.htm to list ALL vehicles that use a particular Delco part #.

LT1 starter: Delco # 323-488

LT4 starter: Delco # 10455709

Be sure to include "dashes" and NOT to include extra spaces (even trailing or leading spaces), or else the Delco search engine does not always work.

tom, I did a backward search on the lt1 starter and it said it was a remanufactured unit without any vehicles listed.
Is there a P/N for a new one?
Am I doing something wrong in the search? Thanks for your help.

paul

sorry tom, I did find the vehicle listing (had to expand the page) but still wondering about the reman question?
paul