Lubrant 93 for 50's = high BLM's

HEY JOE: while your here do you have a race chip designed more for higher boost?

i have your chip for 110 with 26 degrees but for some reason my car dont seem to like high boost with it over 24# even with low 800 02's and i verified 26 degrees timing on the scanner and i checked fuel pressure (still getting 1# per# of boost and not dropping any but it seems to pick up knock over 24# even on c16 fuel

combo is in the sig.

im thinking more like 24 degrees of timing is that normal?

on your 20 degree street chip i can go to 26# for short burst on 110 octane but i seem to run out of injector duty at that point.

keep in mind in chip dumb i have no idea what is involved.

thanks...RED

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
HEY JOE: while your here do you have a race chip designed more for higher boost?

i have your chip for 110 with 26 degrees but for some reason my car dont seem to like high boost with it over 24# even with low 800 02's and i verified 26 degrees timing on the scanner and i checked fuel pressure (still getting 1# per# of boost and not dropping any but it seems to pick up knock over 24# even on c16 fuel

combo is in the sig.

im thinking more like 24 degrees of timing is that normal?

on your 20 degree street chip i can go to 26# for short burst on 110 octane but i seem to run out of injector duty at that point.

keep in mind in chip dumb i have no idea what is involved.

thanks...RED

Hi Red,

First let me say that my Street 93 chip for 50# Injectors, does not have 100% Duty Cycle on the injectors, more like 75-80% D.C..
The Chip was designed for lower boost application on 93 octane. That being the case, trying to run high boost will absolutely lean the engine out whether you run 93 or 110 octane period.

Lets put it this way if you run 93 octane, and 16-17 psi with 50# injectors, and you only need say 36-40# of fuel, then running a chip with 75-80% D.C. max. is what is done in the program.
If the Chip was programmed for 100% d.c. and you ran the same boost then the engine would go pig rich, since you can't possibly use 50# of fuel at that boost or power level.

Chips are normally programmed for there intended conditions and use based on engine, turbo, octane etc.
Using them to far out of what was originally intended will normally get you in trouble.

TR owners are notorious for runing their engines, beyond the limits of the intended programming. I have been guilty of this pratice also, lots of broken parts or head gaskets.

A single chip program. is just that no more, no less. The program establishes the fuel & timing. You provide the octane & air (boost) to match what is in the program. If you provide to much or to little of either problems will absolutley occur period.

I'm sure most of the programmers out there will agree that certain cars react differently to a specific program.

A good example would be timing...timing in a chip is commanded timing, your scan tool says that its say 26*, the question is? is it really 26* on that particular engine? I have personnally seen engines +/- 3* on the damper using a timing light. So whats up with that??
The same situation may occur with injector duty cycle, although an injector is commanded by the program to pulse at 80, 90 or 100% d.c. and that is what shows on a scan tool. Is the injector mechanically doing what is commanded?? Not always!
Depending on certain injectors types, some may only actually pulse at say 90% even though commanded to 100% if you get my drift. So don't always believe what your scan tool says, its a great tool, but it does not show you what is mechanically happening just what is commanded to happen.

Every programmer knows the intent of his program, and its limitations. Just try to operate the engine within those agreed parameters and you & your engines life will be much happier.

you got a point on the timing i will have to compare the scanner with the balancer

when i degreed the cam in i also checked my balancer/timing mark so that will give me a definate on the timing.

thanks JOE i'll get back with you and if every thing is ok i may just have you adjust the chip for me a lil bit.

Joe,

The strip chip drives around and idles much better than the chip that I sent you. As I stated before, the 50lbs were purchased new from PTE in April of '01, so unless you all sent me something other than what I bought, they are 50's. Reading you reply to Reds Hot Air, I would like to express some thoughts on the motor/combo in my Turbo T right now. The motor is a stock TTA shortblock with Turbo Regal heads. This means that my static compression ratio is lower on this motor than a standard TR motor. This car has a TA-49 on it. B/C of the lower compression ratio, I'm able to run more boost than normal. For this reason the car feels wicked on the Thrasher chips. Before I put the 50's in there, I was running blue tops and a Thrasher 92. I was running 20-21psi on pump gas with 0 knock and O2's in the low 800's high 700's. The car felt extremely strong which I think can be accredited to being more in the "power band" of the turbo. I now am running a "hacked" Thrasher for MSD 50's. Once again I have the car up to about 19-20psi on pump gas. Reading your reply, it seems that when I get this chip back from you, if I run much more than 15-16psi that you have it set up for I'll have a problem with leaning out correct?

Originally posted by Hi-psi
Joe,

The strip chip drives around and idles much better than the chip that I sent you. As I stated before, the 50lbs were purchased new from PTE in April of '01, so unless you all sent me something other than what I bought, they are 50's. Reading you reply to Reds Hot Air, I would like to express some thoughts on the motor/combo in my Turbo T right now. The motor is a stock TTA shortblock with Turbo Regal heads. This means that my static compression ratio is lower on this motor than a standard TR motor. This car has a TA-49 on it. B/C of the lower compression ratio, I'm able to run more boost than normal. For this reason the car feels wicked on the Thrasher chips. Before I put the 50's in there, I was running blue tops and a Thrasher 92. I was running 20-21psi on pump gas with 0 knock and O2's in the low 800's high 700's. The car felt extremely strong which I think can be accredited to being more in the "power band" of the turbo. I now am running a "hacked" Thrasher for MSD 50's. Once again I have the car up to about 19-20psi on pump gas. Reading your reply, it seems that when I get this chip back from you, if I run much more than 15-16psi that you have it set up for I'll have a problem with leaning out correct?

Robert,

If you re-read my psost to Reds Hot Air, I was giving an example of fueling. This was to explain typical programming techniques, not yours specifically.

I also said that programs normally are compiled to match the engine , turbo & octane requirements.

Based on your engine: TTA Shortblock with GN heads, I am not suprised that you can run higher boost, because you have very low compression. I don't know the exact figure but instead of having 8:1 compression like a normal GN you are probably in the 7:1 area.
Not knowing the "hacked" Thrasher timing used, I would assume 18* and probably more fuel than you need. This would of course allow higher boost, but not sure of your power level due to such low compression. (Thats a total different Topic)

Typically a full point drop in compression(7:1 vs 8:1), would normally require somewhere between 2-3 psi more boost to equal the same power output.

As far as the replacement chip for you, I will provide the amount of timing and fuel I feel necessary to support approx. 20psi with the lower compression set-up you have.

If you wish something different, let me know by PHONE. As I am now not sure of what car or combo you now need this chip for?

I also feel that I have posted all the info I wish to regarding this thread/topic, and will field any other case by case questions by Phone.......219-996-7834

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Lubrant
As far as the replacement chip for you, I will provide the amount of timing and fuel I feel necessary to support approx. 20psi with the lower compression set-up you have.

Sounds great. And I promise I won't throw it across the front yard.;)

Thanks.:)