Machine Shop recommendations

Micks87

Not a good year for the Buick.. I trashed the tranny and blew a head gasket within 6 months of each other. I appriciate the tranny shop recommendation a few months back, it worked out well.

I was hoping for more good advice for a machine shop. I've desided not to have the big valves put in but do want to have some minor porting done sence the stock heads are off.

Any recommendations for local (Seattle area +/- 150 miles) machine shops doing work on our cars.

Thanks,
Mick
PS. I live on Whidbey Is. WA.

machine shop

Mick:

I've struggled to find a good machine shop locally (seems like most should be in another line of business) but I've used ABCO Machine in Stanwood on the last half dozen engines I've done (I live in Anacortes). I've been real happy with the machine work. He listens to my suggestions rather than give me what "he" wants. His name is Jim Harter. (800) 822-3176. I would rate machine work as my #1 priority in rebuilding an engine, then parts selection (combination) and then who screws it together (not to take away the importance of the builder). He has a guy that does port heads for him (has a flow bench). I've never used that service, but do know of a set he did for a guy and they worked out real well. And if you wouldn't mind what trans shop did you use, I assume you did the 200R4 trans?

I emailed Geno and he recommended Ken as well. So I will email Ken Bodine and check with ABCO. Thanks.

Anacortes? Cool. I'm in Oak Harbor. I had Dave Splett (Trans Service in Lynwood 425-774-4966 ) do my 2004R. I used the 9 11 TC and 1-2 band from Performance Trans. No problems so far. I almost got to the 11's with it. Did a 12.1 @110 at Mission a few months back on pump gas and street stickies. The fuel truck didn't open up or I would have got kicked off the track:rolleyes: (No roll cage)
I have been pretty busy this last few years and havn't had a lot of time to play. Looking forward to getting to the track with some GN/TT people.

Mick

Mick:

I've talked to Ken also, I think he'd do a good job on the heads too. (Geno would know). Our 87 GN is pretty simple to this point. Bought it from the original owner a few years back. The engine internally is stock (except for new valve springs), including inj./turbo and I.C. We did bolt on a test pipe, hot wire kit, Accufab regulator, Walbro 340, K & N cone filter, and a Casper 92 street chip. With 91 octane pump gas and the stock 215/65 tires it ran a best of 13.40 @ 104. Then we wiped the exhuast lobe on the #5 cyl., so we're putting in a new 206/206 right now. Hopefully we'll get it going soon. Need to order a Direct Scan and install a boost gauge. Then we can play with tuning. It's a high mileage car, so we don't want to get too carried away at this point, even though the leakdown test showed it to be pretty tight still. We'll have to get together and head up to Mission when the weather gets friendly again. I'll bring my Stage 1. Talk to you later.
p.s. thanks for the info. on the trans shop. may need it someday.

I don't know if this would be to far to travel but there are a
couple of machine shops in the Totem Lake/Kirkland area.

There's C&D Machine - They do a lot of the engines for the vintage racers and also there's Whittman Racing engines.

Both places do a lot of hi-po work.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Originally posted by Micks87
I had Dave Splett (Trans Service in Lynwood 425-774-4966 ) do my 2004R. I used the 9 11 TC and 1-2 band from Performance Trans. No problems so far. I almost got to the 11's with it. Did a 12.1 @110 at Mission a few months back on pump gas and street stickies. The fuel truck didn't open up or I would have got kicked off the track:rolleyes: (No roll cage)
I have been pretty busy this last few years and havn't had a lot of time to play. Looking forward to getting to the track with some GN/TT people.

Mick

My car is with Dave Splett (Trans Service) right now....I made the mistake of having someone else rebuild the trans. Three trys and they couldn't get it right, so now Dave is going to do his magic!

Yah, Dave seems to know his stuff.

Thanks for the replies. The heads are off and apart. Now I just need to get off my butt and get it something done. If the weather was nice I'd be all over it.

Mick

Number one in service!!!

Got my car back from Trans Service on Sunday!!! Yes, Sunday. Unbelievable!!! Dave Splett (owner of Trans Service) knew that I was renting a car so he went in on Sunday (shop is closed on the weekends) to finish my tranny so I could save some $$$ on the car rental. Now that is SERVICE! Not only did he provide great customer service, he did an awesome job on the tranmission at a great price!!! I highly recommend this shop to anyone needing transmission or general repair work.

:D :D :D :D :D

Geez Bill, you already have your rebuilt tranny in? [don't tell Frank]

Too bad you didn't do like Frank and drop your tranny, drive it to California to get it rebuilt, drive it back, install it, break it, ship it California, wait 3 months, reinstall it, and now hope it works
:D :D

I'll definitely give Dave a try not if, but when I nead tranny service.
Glad to hear your experience was most excellent. Let's us know how it holds up over time.

Doesn't Frank read this stuff???

I will let you know how this trans holds up, but if Dave's trannys can hold up to Geno's 9 sec GN, then I'm pretty sure I will have no problems with it.....:)

Told you guys Dave is a great guy with a big heart:)
He has been working on my trans and Dennis Hogans for years.
Me Ken Bodine and Dennis have been his learning curve and he has it down pretty good now..
The trans in my car has went 9.97 @137.8 and has verry few hard parts.... We are verry lucky to have a guy like this in our neck of the woods:)

Too bad you didn't do like Frank and drop your tranny, drive it to California to get it rebuilt, drive it back, install it, break it, ship it California, wait 3 months, reinstall it, and now hope it works

Hey cut that out...

I like my tranny and just because it broke 3 times doesn't mean that's a bad thing. I can at least remove and install my tranny in about 2 hours. Not bad. :D

So, this way you guys benifit from it if you need my help.

Happy New Year all.

Frank

haha....Frank, I need your help....

Can you come over and pull the trans out of my car? I want to clean under the shifter! :D :D :D

Gene, thanks for recommending Dave and Trans Service. My transmission is shifting awesome! Also, you were right about the bearings for my Eaton Posi. They were a special size and Randy's had it.

The Head came back looking great. Very clean and it looks like alot of metal was removed. We are lucky for the tallant in our area (Dave Splett and Jim Harter), but if not for the postings on this sight most of us would not know of them.

Thanks WE1, Gene and all for the good word.

By the way - Any recommendations on lifters? GM wants $16 each (no way). Has anyone used the HT969 Federal Mogels? I have a 209/209 cam with 40k on it, and one ticking lifter. I finally desided on stock glaskets.

Happy New Year!!
Mick

Ive heard Conley sells them cheap:confused:
If not i know i can get them here in Lynnwood for Under $9 each:) They are the best ones to use IMHO and if you email me i will order them for you and you can pick them up at Seaview Chev

So how $$ did it cost to get the heads done?

I am always looking for good deals on head and trans work. I also don't know how long the tranny will last either so price on that would be good too.

Thanks
Chris