Made In India??

I recently ordered a new LS1 oil pan from my local Chevy dealer and when I received it I opened the GM box and removed the GM oil pan and it had a "Made in Tiawan" sticker right on it so even genuine GM parts are made over seas in some cases.

You would be surprised as to the number of different countries parts come from.....

Even GM spreads the wealth around...take the new Camaros for example all the SS and RS emblems that adorn those cars come from South Korea....

Some of the Turbo parts are made in China...

If we say a part is GM it is GM.....I think I can speak for most vendors it would be next to impossible to offer parts for our cars that were strictly made in the USA by GM ....heck last year more Regals sold in China than the US.

Its a fact of life....

Personally, as a Vietnam veteran I find it hard to believe that a good number of sneakers made today are made in Vietnam....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

As for the motor mounts unless the vendor claimed it was a GM product its not the fault of the vendor.

I re-checked the site I ordered the mounts from Dennis, I had *thought* the description for these mounts said 'OEM quality' or something about the quality. It does not:redface: but merely, 'your mounts are 20+ years old and need to be replaced' or something close to that. I'll be more careful next time I shop online. BTW I am VERY pleased with the quality of your stretched stock location intercooler, I am going to like that piece very much, thank you:cool:

I hear ya Nick, there is a buncha Craftsman tools in my box too;) as I get older and a bit more 'resources' I am increasing the ratio of Snap-On to Craftsman as I can:biggrin:

Alan

Why would a well respected vendor here that I have bought lots custom parts off of send out motor/trans mounts that are made in India?

Cuz they have great margins on them...its all about the $$$$$ sometimes. I bought a set from a respected vendor and one of the mounts was so far off the engine would not install. Got 1/2 my $$ back...yeah thanks.

Get your stuff from Highway Stars and eliminate the BS.

Highway Stars Buick Grand National Parts Home Page

The only thing made in America to be found in a parts store today is a Real Tree air freshener I am partial to the green ones! I have been wrenching cars since 1981 the after market parts are beyond bad especially electronic parts you have maybe a 50-50 chance! I ordered a coil pack from a vendor I shall not mention stamped on the box made in China it started to melt on start up if we didnt catch it this customers car would have burnt to the ground took a A-C delco out of my stash no problems! I agree with counter man every body for the most part when it comes to fixing there car looks for the cheap way out but it really ends up costing double! So when buy a motor mount from shelpboys and save some money or buy one from H_R just copare the weight and fit and finish it will be the last mount you buy you will be back @shelpboys atleast two more times and nobody walks out with just one item at shelpboys what a racket!! Just my thoughts Happy New Year! Saving for 62-62 bb t-t chips and a couple of pulls @ Ottos:biggrin:

one of my cousins has been building a 69 Camaro for almost 5 years.. he ordered a set of bigblock replacement motor mounts (frame side and engine side) for it from one of the biggest resto places out there and didn't even look at them until he needed to install the engine. the frame stands said "made in China", and one engine pad was from India and the other from Pakistan. when i saw that, i tried fitting the engine side mounts over the frame stands and neither of them fit. since i couldn't get him to order a set of poly mounts for it- he said that he read that they vibrated too much- i told him to order some mounts at the local parts store.. when they arrived the next day, they looked identical to the ones from the resto shop with all the same numbers cast into them, except they fit with a little gentle bending of the mounting ears. he was pissed- he paid over $30 each from the resto shop and got the same identical parts that magically fit for $7.99 each locally.

It's not just car parts. I work on aircraft turbine engines and see parts from China, India, Poland and Israel. US manufacturers are the first to out source anything if they think they can save a couple of bucks.

Sad but true.

Neal

I have a problem for years with OE suspension bushings. Moog, ac delco, etc, they all start splitting within 2-3 years. They still have the same stampings in the rubber "Gould silent block" IIRC. Maybe its because they have degraded on the shelf? But how do the originals last so long? Same for my AMC using the best Moog. Also the same happens with shock grommets..toast within 3 years. Also the crane adj vacuum advances and distributer weight sets are terrible. I gave up on vac advance, went thru 3 in 4 months. Weight sets coudnt be made with any softer material.

Aint it great! America is borderless so over 50% of Mexican males of working age are already here. "In sourcing labor" is the term for that. And Maytag who has been in america for 112 years moves their plant to Mexico. Happens every week. And consider how unpleasant and costly it is to have unchecked population increases, and culture that wont assimilate. Is California a better place than it was 20-30+ years ago. America will follow Cali barring some large scale disaster that would cull the population. Follow politics my freinds, not sports. Rant off, sorry.