You can type here any text you want

MAF Q'S

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

griffgoody

I want to upgrade my stock MAF Unit to the next level. Don't need anything to expensive. So, what should I buy and from whom. And how much. Or go to the parts for sale section and look for what. Tks

I've gone 130mph in the 1/4 with the stock screened maf in place. Sure its a restriction, but I'd upgrade only if it goes bad.

The old saying,"If it ain't broke don't fix it." comes to mind. The money could be better spent on a power logger or if possible, a translator to encrease your tuning capabilities.

The old saying,"If it ain't broke don't fix it." comes to mind. The money could be better spent on a power logger or if possible, a translator to encrease your tuning capabilities.
I think mine is broke. Either I need a good used stock one. Or something to replace it with. What do u think

LT-1 3" MAF and one of Full Throttle's Translators. Easy and proven.
+1 The used stock ones are old and failing. Unless you happen to find a NOS one for a million dollars I would just go the Translator route. Hook up is dummy proof (almost) and cured my MAF caused running issues. Here
a guide to the compatable MAFs with the Translator and the the part #s. If you search the part #s you'll see there are many cars the the 3" one if from. Don't have to pay full price for the "LT1" MAF.

Attachments

• Compatable MAFs with the Translator.jpg
    Compatable MAFs with the Translator.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 107
+1 The used stock ones are old and failing. Unless you happen to find a NOS one for a million dollars I would just go the Translator route. Hook up is dummy proof (almost) and cured my MAF caused running issues. Here
a guide to the compatable MAFs with the Translator and the the part #s. If you search the part #s you'll see there are many cars the the 3" one if from. Don't have to pay full price for the "LT1" MAF.
If I get both the Translator and MAF Sensor Unit. Will I have to get my TT Chip reprogrammed.

Have a few more Q's. Is there anyway to check the stock maf unit to make sure its good or bad. And will the translator work on a stock maf unit. I think the answer is yes after reading a few things here. Just want to make sure guys. Tks

On my Powerlogger files I could see it dropping out. There is a "tap on it" test but mine did not respond to that. I had a loss of power and it just didn't run good. Lot of memebers here have seen mysterious issues instantly go away when they replaced the MAF. There is no reason to use the translator to the stocker, it's purpose is to match the signal of the new MAFs to the old MAFs. Plugs are different too. New MAFs use better electronics and construction than the original MAF does. Have you done a search on MAFs here? Bet you'll fine hundreds of posts saying they replaced the old MAF with a "remanufactured" one and it ran worse than the original. Many are simply the wrong MAF, others are not calibrated right. NOS ones are now very rare and expensive. Used ones are a waste of money.

On my Powerlogger files I could see it dropping out. There is a "tap on it" test but mine did not respond to that. I had a loss of power and it just didn't run good. Lot of memebers here have seen mysterious issues instantly go away when they replaced the MAF. There is no reason to use the translator to the stocker, it's purpose is to match the signal of the new MAFs to the old MAFs. Plugs are different too. New MAFs use better electronics and construction than the original MAF does. Have you done a search on MAFs here? Bet you'll fine hundreds of posts saying they replaced the old MAF with a "remanufactured" one and it ran worse than the original. Many are simply the wrong MAF, others are not calibrated right. NOS ones are now very rare and expensive. Used ones are a waste of money.
Do you think if I bought an 8 month old Translator and a new lt1 unit. This would help the performance of the car. Because the maf on my T-Type I think is bad. So I was gonna take the one off my GN and put it on the T-Type and put the trans and lt1 unit on the GN.

Tks Guys for all tha info. I think i'm gonna buy me a Power Logger for now. Who has the best prices on them. Also, i'm gonna go to Parts for Sale here.

Full Throttle or Turbotweak on the PL.

I highly recommend the newer MAF meter (and translator). If for no other reason... that you can go into a parts house and buy a replacement that will work at a reasonable cost for the newer MAF meters..... the old ones (as already stated) are small (restrictive)and very tempermental..... keep in mind that mass air measurement in GM cars was a new thing back in the mid 80's..... they had kinda worked the kinks out and improved the products alot by the time the early to mid 90's rolled around.

Full Throttle or Turbotweak on the PL.

I highly recommend the newer MAF meter (and translator). If for no other reason... that you can go into a parts house and buy a replacement that will work at a reasonable cost for the newer MAF meters..... the old ones (as already stated) are small (restrictive)and very tempermental..... keep in mind that mass air measurement in GM cars was a new thing back in the mid 80's..... they had kinda worked the kinks out and improved the products alot by the time the early to mid 90's rolled around.
I think i'm gonna buy some m/t drags and a power logger. Then the MAF and Trans. will come 3rd.

I'ld do the MAF, PL then MTs. Get it to run better, then tune it better, then race it...

I'ld do the MAF, PL then MTs. Get it to run better, then tune it better, then race it...
My maf is good on my GN. So, im just gonna get the drag radials and the power logger and tune and race next wk if not this friday. I'm only getting a MAF and Trans because of the T-Type Unit is bad. Once i get the GN hopefully in the low 12's. I will take maf unit off the GN and put it on the T-Type. And then put the lt1 and trans on my GN.

Back