You can type here any text you want

Main Cap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnmike87

I am in the process of putting together an 86 gn motor I just bought, but have one question before I start. The block had been machined by a local shop that does many TR's. It has main studs installed and 2 center billet caps. The 3rd cap however when set down in the registry is loose. It can be moved from side to side. I am just wondering if this is alright or if they ground material off the sides of the cap for some reason?

No, all must fit tight. So your saying one of the billet caps are loose after they fit them? #3? Moving one side to side is way off!! They took off too much.

The reason I am asking is that the machine shop I trust is about 3 hrs away, and I don't have the money right now. If I am going to drive 3 hours I want to drop the block off not just have them look at it and me come back later.

gnmike87 said:
I am in the process of putting together an 86 gn motor I just bought, but have one question before I start. The block had been machined by a local shop that does many TR's. It has main studs installed and 2 center billet caps. The 3rd cap however when set down in the registry is loose. It can be moved from side to side. I am just wondering if this is alright or if they ground material off the sides of the cap for some reason?

I'd take it back and make them pay for a new cap, line bore, and line hone... thats big $$$$

you can weld the billet caps. That is the cheap and easy fix. have them weld the sides up and then remachine it so it fits to factory tollerances. It will need a reline hone if not bore afterwards due to the welding and the registers altering the caps bore. Hopefully you can get away with a line hone.

The problem is I bought it from a friend and it's not really his fault. He used this machine shop about 8 months ago to do the work, so I am sure proving to them that they screwed up would be impossible. I am afraid on this one I will just eat it and wait till after the holidays to get her running. The only thing I am mad about is that I spent hours prepping and painting the block that will now have to be hot tanked :mad: . On the good side I have a complete motor that I have put in this car for now so it is running, but that leaves my newly caged 87 without a motor. The question about the cap was one I new the answer to but thought I would check anyway since a reputible shop did the work. It had me second guessing myself. Thanks to everyone who replied and hopefull after the holidays this motor will be up and running.

Thanks
Michael Merrill
87 GN
86 GN

should at least call them on the error. maybe have your friend bring the engine back.

wrong is wrong and will always be wrong. time has no bearing on the screwed up machine work especially if the engine has not been run.

can't hurt to ask and at least then you will know how good the shop really is - let us all know

True enough. I will see if he can round up some reciepts and I will go talk to them soon.

Back