You can type here any text you want

Main caps

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

larrym

West Coast Newfy
I collecting parts for a short block. I plan to run mid 11s maybe a high 10 if the planets align. It will spend most of its life on the street with 1 or 2 trips to the track a year. Is the expense of main caps worth it in my situation? I have a forged crank lined up and plan to use 2 dot rods. I'm looking at $200.00 for billet caps by the time I get them here than about 4 hours labour at the machine shop to fit them looks like a $500.00 bill.
Stock caps and studs with a forged crank should take all I plan to throw at it?

It was good I was 9 over on the front even on the back lol. I could not make a putt had a 3 footer to go 1 under on the back on 18 .......

I collecting parts for a short block. I plan to run mid 11s maybe a high 10 if the planets align. It will spend most of its life on the street with 1 or 2 trips to the track a year. Is the expense of main caps worth it in my situation? I have a forged crank lined up and plan to use 2 dot rods. I'm looking at $200.00 for billet caps by the time I get them here than about 4 hours labour at the machine shop to fit them looks like a $500.00 bill.
Stock caps and studs with a forged crank should take all I plan to throw at it?

With a perfect tune, you'll be good with stock caps and even a stock crank. With a good crank, there shouldn't be much flex if you don't detonate it so caps may not be NEEDED. While you are in there, why not though? Although if it isn't done right, then there is problems. Find a shop that has done it successfully before. Better to overbuild and keep it reliable in my book.

Over the years we have built many turbo engines and cars and our thinking has been to "overbuild" which means for an 11 sec. car, we build for a 10 sec. power level to assure reliability and longevity. :)

A forged crank would be a mandatory item which you have included, and since you ARE going to spend at least a few 1000 dollars on this project, it would be good insurance to add the 2 center steel caps for $500.

The weak point and most likely failure point in a production block is the web between the cam bore and main bearing saddle, and this is the main reason we add caps to any 10 sec. and better engine build.

Will steel caps help the main webs, or just prevent a broken main cap? Does a properly installed girdle do more to prevent the main webs from cracking? Probably lots of opinions on this. Nick, and others I know, have good results with just caps. The girdles are cumbersome, but may provide more support for the main webs?

The insurance is worth it. It will always be there when you add more later....and don't fool yourself into thinking you won't. It just sorta happens.

Back