You can type here any text you want

Man polishing aluminum wheels SUCKS!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
So... I am now about 5 hours inot restoring my GNX clones... they looked like they were pretty neglected(possibly have never been polished since they were put on)... I just got done with the 3rd wheel. I will do the 4th tomorrow... Im doing them with a dremel and mothers aluminum polish in 2in sections at a time. The results are great, but is there an easier way to do this? I have the flitz piece of crap power ball, and it doesnt do much of anything. I looked really had the the mothers powerball, and I might buy it just to give it a shot but for 20$ it better friggen work!

Is there any special product that will keep my wheels cleaner, or should I just go over the wheels by hand every few weeks with an aluminum polish? The real reason for the power tools is for restoration, but I never want to have to do this again... My car gets hand washed usually every two weeks and lives in the garage, so should I just take and extra 20min and hand polish the wheels every wash?

Billet

Use ,mothers BILLET metal polish with the smaller power ball, approx.$40
It works great and saves time!

The clearcoat was messed up on my Kirban GNX look a like rims, I now polish these rims at least once every 2 weeks. I have them looking like chrome now, I was using Mothers aluminum polish for awhile with great results, but I just started using a product called SPEEDY all metal polish which I purchased from Kirban performance, the stuff works great!!!

Adam

Are you taking of the clearcoat with the dremell or just polishing with it? Have you painted the black section. I just got a set of are/kirban wheels and am working on them as well. I'm about to order some of the Speedy polish from Kirban. He has a package deal of the Speedy and Zaino tire black for about $21
BTW what are you guys using to strip the clearcoat?

I use both small and large mothers balls w/Aluminum polish. It still takes a freaken long time to do it but I'm polishing 20" wheels. There was a time where I used to pull them off and do the inside out but now I simply just do the outside. Hey, each wheel weighs 85lbs each w/tire :eek:

I like the mothers billet polish as well. Always done by hand...just apply/scrub/buff and repeat until your rags dont turn black anymore. Then I like to apply a few coats of wax and/or once-a-year polish which makes it easier to keep them clean between polishings.

I did my wheels in a total of about 5 hours after I figured things out. You guys probably wouldn't be willing to try the method I used though lol.

3rd° Tech Tips~Aluminum Wheel Polishing

I wouldn't try this with anything other than GTA/GNX style wheels. I did this over the course of 2 days in the spring when it was nice and cool. I started with 400 grit and worked my way up to 1000 or 1200 grit. Anything higher seems to give the wheel a cloudy appearance. I used lots of water and then dish soap and lots of water. I then finished off with Mothers Billet Polish. My wheels aren't show quality but they look pretty nice. I think I have a pic on my Cardomain site.

That's similar to what I did on my GTA's, although I did mine off the car and it took a WHOOOOOLE lot longer than 5 hours total. More like 5 hours a wheel. :eek:
I polished by hand, removing the clear coat entirely. Started with 180 grit, then 240, then 400, 600, 800, 1000 and finished up with 1500. What a mess!! They came out pretty damn good. Kept them for a year, then sold them and bought 17's that I don't have to polish every time the car comes out the garage...

I forgot to mention that the first step of the process I did was having the wheels bead blasted. I tried everything in an attempt to strip them with no luck. I sanded them until my fingers bled, I used paint stripper, and I tried aircraft stripper. None of it did much. My wheels had some sort of epoxy clear coat on them. It wasn't paint. It was more like a clear plastic coating.

And that 5 hours is with me taking my sweet ass time. I'm an idiot and tend to wreck stuff when I rush things. I also had to run inside to fill my water bucket about 50 times :p

My wheels do no appear to have a clear coat... makes me think they might have been touched in the past and then negelcted...

I actually found a method that works REALLY well and REALLY fast... I just did the 4th wheel in an hour and then touched up the other 3in 30min...

I got a power drill and then got a soft buffing wheel that I had laying around for my bench grinder. I searched around until I could find a "chuck"(I dont know what it's called) that would allow me to use the 5in buffing wheel with my drill. I applied the polishg VERY heavily with my finger and then worked the wheel over with the buffing wheel. It got into all of the nooks and crannys in the lip of the wheel and was very easily managable and didnt kick back at all. I could get the majority of the wheel done this way, and then I finished it off with a dremel to get into the areas I couldnt reach.

It worked very well, but I will most likely just polish them by hand every few weeks... I dont mind, I sold my motorcycle to buy this car so Im used to spending more time detailing than driving!

I used a Dupli-Color satin black wheel paint. It has held up very well and went on very easily.

im pretty deep into restoration, and have found, for aluminum, that harsh chemicals do the best in my opinion. heres a few tips on gnx style wheels. first off, good cond. ones do in fact, have a decent clear coat on them. it is not a few layers of micron depth paint, but in fact a pretty heavy, several mil thick clear coating.. its no joke. if its in good condition, then id try to just polish the clear coating, with something like the mothers ball (the smaller one) and some marine plexiglass scratch remover rouge.. if that dont work, hot tank the entire wheel. itll come out good, then you have a good base from there to work with. if not, glass bead blast it. then, have em go over it with something softer yet, say walnut shells or plastic balls, then, wetsand, then brasso. i guarantee you theyll shine like nothing youve ever seen before in your life. BUT, once you take that super microscopic layer off of the aluminum (which is polishing) theyll oxidize in like 2 days now. i suggest clearing them with a durable clear immediately after the final polish, like either a clear lacquer (which is what i use to great effects) or maybe a wheel coating clear, that can withstand a little heat. (then, if you're so inclined, you can even rub that clear out, and wax it as you would do you car, for an even more blinding show finish)
But for wheels that are almost done, or done, and you want to maintain them, those power balls, both from mothers and flitz (which is what i tried) suck hind tit. they polish NOTHING. There are the firm foam ovals that you can attach to a drill motor, specifically for buffing wheel lips, but ya gotta go to a detail shop to find em. use say, aluminum polish or brasso on those. I use brasso and my older aluminum wheels on my regal, and they shined like no tomorrow. As for the centers, I dont care what anyone says, spray lacquer works wonders, and if you know what youre doing, will last YEARS. Its super hard, very durable, and will shine like no other. to be honest, after all that hard work, id clear the entire rim.

But for your specific question, ( i guess it dont matter, as youre almost done) if they were super neglected, id hot tank em, or just use some pretty aggressive sand paper, and wetsand em. if you have a big wash basin, id submerge the entire wheel in warm water, and wet sand em underwater with 320 grit. then of course, go to progressively finer paper, and youll be squared away. once youre to like 600 grit, after youve wore that down, go to chemicals. like the turtle wax chrome polish, then to aluminum polish, then brasso. As for the centre section. tape off everything you dont want black on obviously, then start from the back. it's going to take a long time with a spray can, cuz of the fixed spray pattern but, some tips include not spraying them in the wind, as it wastes paint, and screws up the consistency, make sure the paint, paint can, and substrate are from 60-75 degrees in temperature. CONSTANTLY shake your can. and after each shake, spray the can for a quick touch, in another direction, to get that quick burst of air out, then go right to the wheel again. cuz of the tight nooks and crannies on the mesh, youll have to do many many passes, at like 15 inches or so. slowly but surely building up layers, otherwise, youll either get a ton of overspray on some, and too much buildup on other parts. when layering, wait about 5 minutes or so before each coat, but not more than 45 minutes. its very tedious, but is well worth it. this is going to take a while. about a day a wheel. just keep building it up, so thats its totally even. make sure you got GREAT lighting too, and are in as a dust free enviroment as you can be. then of course, do the same thing on the front of the mesh. but, on your final pass, get as close to 12 inches as you can, for the maximum gloss. the further away each pass is, the less shinier it is. Youll see if you choose to use spray lacquer.
Hope this was of some help..

hope that gave you some ideas.

Yes thanks Great response.. It was very helpfull. It convinced me to leave mine alone for now because they are decent looking and sometime down the road take them to a wheel shop and let them restore them.:)

Hey thanks for that very detailed response! I am still positive that my wheels have no clear on them... I dont think they are kirbans though... they are 8in in front and 10in in back. Not really sure what wheels I have, but they are in real nice shape now that I have removed all of the oxidation and crap.

wanna find out if ANY substrate has a clearcoat on em? Brasso. Its the bomb. Not only can you polish with it, but it also acts chemically like a 'goof off' sort of gunk remover as well. But just take an old cotton t shirt, or something soft (because if you use an old low quality towel of some sort, it will be more aggressive than you may want it to be) and just dab a little brasso on it, and begin to lightly polish a small section. Do it for like 3 seconds, then immediately wipe it off with a clean section of rag again. Is the brasso you used pitch black now? And if the small section is a little shinier, you have no clear coat. If there was a clearcoat, your used brasso wont be as black as if there were no clear coat. it would be more of a grey if there was.

Back