Maximum power with stock Cat-Back?...

BoostCrzy

I have a Hooker Cat-Back on the way and was just wondering how far over the line i have already stepped.... i Have a stock headed motor with a TE-61 feeding it 30psi.... exiting through a 2 1/2 in. externally gated DP and into a STOCK Cat-Back.....the car really moves well and i am hoping to see some gains from the setup...any thoughts???.....experience??...:confused:

-Jack

I think you are way over the line...or have a faulty boost gage...read some more posts...or get ready to spend some $$$$$

I think you will see some gains since the stock cat-back is very restrictive :( , the converter is the biggest restriction , I use Hooker 2.5 " duals now and I like it with high flow cat work great , used to have 3" , hated the noise , daily driver GN , at one point you will undertand your 30 psi boost is only possible with your stock heads ,once you open the motor up ....!!! ....watch youe knock gage !:rolleyes:

Pushing 30psi through stock heads, is some extremely inefficient boost, and its killing your turbo. You're way out of the zone on the compressor map....totally overheating the air and also thinning it out to where 30psi has not too many more o2 molecules than say, 25psi. Get some big heads. You can drop the boost way down and still pump the same, if not more air. Plus with the cooler charge, you can run more timing and less octane.
I'd make that my priority instead of a catback. The heads are the bottleneck with your combo, not the catback. The hooker catback, by the way, is cheap and pretty nice system. Sounds good and flows really well. Just dont get flowmaster anything. Especially on a turbo car. They truly are NOT Flow masters. Personally I love magnaflow catbacks. They'll outflow just about everything, yet they're very stealthy...real quiet until you open it up, and with a good 3" downpipe, a 3" testpipe (no dump) and a magnaflow CB, you'll run just as hard, if not better than an open dump.
Then get yourself a good 3" DP and a test pipe. This

My buddy bought the Hooker cat back and he noticed the mufflers that came on the kit were pretty restrictive. He gained 2 tenths after going to Ultra Flows in place of the Hooker mufflers.

thanx for the advice guys.... I see what your saying about the inefficient air @ 30psi vs. 25psi.....i turned it down a hair to 28psi today and put her on the dyno....(mustang dyno).... made 408whp and 512wtq (unlocked converter) through the stock Cat-Back (has test pipe) .....i will throw her back on when i get the new system on ;)

.....do these numbers sound about right??..

-Jack

After turning the boost down i have noticed a reduction in power(seat of the pants)....so i left the lower boost setting@ 27psi and the high setting is up @ 30psi.....feels so nice !!!

......but i'm wondering if these settings will be affected by the higher flowing Hooker system when i put it on....hmmmmm.....guess i'll just have to wait and see!!:D

-Jack

After turning the boost down i have noticed a reduction in power(seat of the pants)....so i left the lower boost setting@ 27psi and the high setting is up @ 30psi.....feels so nice !!!

......but I'm wondering if these settings will be affected by the higher flowing Hooker system when i put it on....hmmmmm.....guess I'll just have to wait and see!!:D

-Jack
please keep us posted , I still think you will love the Hooker system big time over stock :tongue: and I can't be sure if any other muffler -- Ultra Flows like Sweet6 stated -- will flow better since Hooker is pretty much straight through muffler design , ....but I never tried Ultra Flows ....?, I think for the money Hooker came for me as #1 catback exhaust upgrade period !:rolleyes:

Magnaflows are straight through and so are the hooker aerochambers, which should be the mufflers that come with the hooker catback. But i did read somewhere that the hooker CB's sometimes come with a different muffler.
The magnaflows flow the best and sound the best in my opinion. Plus they're stainless steel and wont rust.
Those numbers are damn good through an unlocked TC and especially for a mustang dyno, which usually reads alot lower than a dynojet. Mustang dynos are far better for simulating real world loads and aerodynamic resistance, so naturally they're better dynos for dyno tuning. Dynojets more or less just measure hp and it doesnt load the drivetrain properly. But for dyno queens...people who race on the dyno and brag about dyno numbers all day on message boards...dynojets are the way to go. Usually you'll dyno tune on a dynojet, then you get out on the street or the track and notice your boost has changed and the a/f is totally different than it read on the dyno. Its cause youre seeing more load on the street.

i actually just put the system on tonight....i LOVE the sound....cant really feel any power gains (car spins too much on the street).....but i will be hitting the dyno again soon for the update ;)

....so far i love it.... installation was a breeze with no problems. I welded the front section together and left the tail pipes clamped in case i want to remove it for some reason(probably wont)....but so far so good:D

-Jack

thanx for the advice guys.... I see what your saying about the inefficient air @ 30psi vs. 25psi.....i turned it down a hair to 28psi today and put her on the dyno....(mustang dyno).... made 408whp and 512wtq (unlocked converter) through the stock Cat-Back (has test pipe) .....i will throw her back on when i get the new system on ;)

.....do these numbers sound about right??..

-Jack

What is your parts combo?? Intercooler, Alky or not? Cam?? Just curious, Exhaust is usually one of the first things to get changed..

What is your parts combo?? Intercooler, Alky or not? Cam?? Just curious, Exhaust is usually one of the first things to get changed..

My combo:

Stock motor (to my knowledge) motor was rebuilt during previous ownership(not sure what was done)
PTE-6152e
Turbo Tweak chip
Racetronix walbro pump/hotwire kit
Bosch 40lb injectors
AFPR
Stretched Dutt Neck stock location intercooler
Alkycontrol.com Meth kit
Hooker 2 1/2" Downpipe W/ Deltagate wastegate
Hooker Cat-Back/Test pipe(was stock when dyno'ed last)
MAF tube/Big filter
AEM Tru-Boost boost controller
RJC power plate....

think thats it....

::update::

....just got done on the dyno after installing the Cat-Back and a TC lock-up switch....

453whp and 539wtq ...... car is running perfect!

-Jack :cool:

....just got done on the dyno after installing the Cat-Back and a TC lock-up switch....

453whp and 539wtq ...... car is running perfect!

-Jack :cool:

That's pretty much my experience. Exhaust was worth about .4 and 5 mph.

almost hard to believe....had a couple of guys come into the dyno room asking "what in the HELL is that thing?!" .....hahaha....i said...its a REGAL!:biggrin:

Yes, the Hooker catback can come with the Super Turbo mufflers as well. The better ones are the AeroChambers. I have that cat back on my GN, and went a 12.041@110 through them running a THDP with a testpipe. Still running a ported stock turbo on pumpgas & alky...

I'd like to get mine on a dyno. :cool: