MEGA project but I'll save it. Turbo Century

So I've been reading about carbs here for a while. Looks like if I go Holley, I need to do a boost reference conversion. Looks simple enough.

I'll be painting the Century a more modern blue that is close to the original shade. I will have the decals and stencils made at my local vinyl shop for the quarter panel logos, fender hawk, and stencil for the rear trunk inlay that's black. Since I cannot locate the Turbo 3.8 Litre hood badges, I'm going to have them made too in chrome vinyl. I'll be using 1987 Grand National wheels that I just recently purchased. Since the car is a split bench column shift car, I have a very rare non shift Buick console from an 86 Regal. I will need another drivers side split bench to use on the passengers side. I was originally going to do a console shift but feel this would be different and still be Buick. I also have the Grand National Concert Sound speaker grilles for the door panels. So it will still be stock appearing but have some GN stuff. I'd also like the power 6 logo embroidered on the 40/40 bench headrests. I'll do my custom painted woodgraining technique on my dash panels like I did on my 442. I may do light and charcoal gray instead of tan and brown though. I like the charcoal inserts on the GNs so this will get me both worlds. I will be tucking and painting the bumpers and may black out all the trim. I don't really care for the front end (header/grille) on the Century. To me it looks like a Dodge Aries K. I have a header from an 81 Century that I like. I am an A/G body guy but have to do my own things to break out of the box.

20171016_091648_resized.jpg 20171021_103353_resized.jpg

The hood emblems have been on eBay in the past. I think I have some old NOS if needed. You could also try Coach’s Custom Parts (Fabro Cater). He does a polished stainless version designed from NOS emblems I supplied him.

The hood emblems have been on eBay in the past. I think I have some old NOS if needed. You could also try Coach’s Custom Parts (Fabro Cater). He does a polished stainless version designed from NOS emblems I supplied him.
How much would I be looking at for the NOS ones?

I google searched for Coaches but nothing but a link to turbobuick on trailing arms. Anyone got a link? I don't have facebook either if he's on there

D00C8A2F-30C9-460A-AB53-6642C8A2EC3F.jpeg
They look like this. Keep in mind, no picture Ever has done these emblems justice.
If you look in the “new parts request” section, he has the first thread there.

I cannot wait to get this car home so I can at least give it a much needed bath and a thorough going over. I have learned quite a bit about early draw through stuff in the last few days. I do have a question though. I plan on rebuilding the turbo myself but not sure what the turbo is to get a kit. Is it a T3 style?

Check out g pop shop. They have a kit specifically for these.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

So I just sold my 78 Salon and now have some money to put in this car. I didn't plan on selling it but got a pretty big offer so I took it. Looks like there's going to be a really nice Century build now.

Isn't it funny ? There STILL are many of these cars out there, and in MI. , their still rather abundant. I came across to "A" Bodies (both 78 Regal's) and bought both for their trim ... THEN I found an 84 Hurst Old's ! *The D.E.Q. "lettered" the owner, telling him to get it out of the woods ! "LOL". "It was rotten beyond belief", but anyway: "they ARE still out there".

Craigslist sure can "sniff-them-out" !.

I remember (at the Dealership) your very Century, those were the "good ole days".

*Would LOVE to also, see your progress !
Below is the Old's I preface in the above ... gese for supposedly "rare-car", they sure pop-up all the time !

Click:

Hafrod. Find a set of 8445 heads if you can. They are better than what you have. Look for the extra rib/casting between the water ports at either end of the head. GNTTYPE.ORG has a good photo guide on these.

HAFROD!

I love these cars. My brother had an X-11 Citation back when blah blah - hatchback days!. I remember bugging him about the other GM brothers that he could have had, but mostly the Century Turbo Coupe.

I may have posted some of these pics before (but can't find them on search) so here are a couple more. BTW I think hte family that owned the dealership 'back in the day' had kept this car in the family over the years. Pics are from a car show years ago now.

TurboCoupe1.jpg TurboCoupe2.jpg TurboCoupe3.jpg TurboCoupe4.jpg

I used the early 'Spirit Black-hawk' logo on my project car. A local airbrush artist did custom emblems I designed for my GN.

Also I like your color choice.
Bob

It has been awhile since I've posted anything. I've been working on some of my other projects. Today I went to a salvage and happened onto a 1979 Turbo Riviera. I about fell over. My heart rate went up because of a rare car with hard to find parts is sitting there in front of me. I had little money but I grabbed some of the parts I desperately needed for my Turbo Century. The non computer controlled Q Jet was my main thing I did not have in my possession yet. I grabbed it, the distributor, turbo control box, PEVR, knock sensor, accelerator cable, and the three switches on the LH inner fender. Also some emblems and other smalls. I would like to get the turbo and intake but I don't think they interchange with RWD stuff.

Nice haul. My dad had one, marroon and silver with the big graphics on the trunk. As a self absorbed teenager I didn't realize what he had. Winters were not kind to it. I may have one rim somewhere...

Last edited: