Melted starter wire (GN)

6whistler

Upon realization that the fan was not turning on as it should after running the vehicle for a few minutes, I realized something was not right. I ran through the diagnostic checklist and eventually, (Thanks to this board) found that the wire that runs along the firewall and down to the starter had melted (I assume because of the heat from the block), and was causing a short. My questions are..
1. Has anyone ever experienced a similar situation?
If answer to #1 is yes.....
2. Is there a particular route this wire is supposed to be routed to prevent this from happening? To me it seems options are limited and the wire seems to simply "drop" down into place.
3.To repair the wire, does it have to be completely replaced, or can I simply reinsulate the melted insulation?
Thanks to all for looking, have a good day.

Sounds to me like a fuseable link let go. Time to clip all of them out and install one of Casper's kits.

You are certainly right. Now that I understand how they work I realize that it actually melted from the inside out!
Id like to get the project knocked out this weekend, and obviously dont have any fusible links. The caspers kits are seemingly far superior to the store bought brands.....enough to warrant waiting and ordering from caspers correct? I am not a tech guy, and all I know these fusible links to be are a reduction in wire gauge, so I am having difficulty imagining why quality could differ so much..........
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

The FIRST ORDER of business: Find out why it melted, and fix that.

You usually use a fuse wire that's 4 sizes smaller than the main wire size. I'd do all of them at the same time, and slide a heat protection wrap over the bundle, before I made them up.
John may also have it at Caspers.
I'd wait, and get the Caspers stuff.

When you order the wire, you may want to go ahead and do his ground relocation kit. [While you are "standing on your head, behind the engine"!!]:D

There have been occasions when those fusable link wires running to the starter sometimes get frayed on that heat shield they run next to. Might want to check that possiblity.

Well, I tackled the project this weekend. I replaced all 5 fusible links, although I believe only 1 of them was the problem. I cannot tell if it overheated from within the wire, or frayed on something. What I do know is that the first time I went under the car to find the wires, one of them (the bad one) sparked. Now that everything is back together, id like to get under there one more time to put a good heat resistant insulator over the bundle. It just seems to me that these wires run way too close to the exhaust and the block for my liking. Any advice on insulator material is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch Chuck and Dave. Take care, Tom