Methanol and aluminium compatibility

HEMI T04

I have a question about materials compatiblity of methanol and aluminium as i believe methanol eats aluminum. Now i know when the engine is under boost it will mostly vaporise and suck in all the fuel before it has any time to corrode anything. But i was just wondering in certains situations that it could be possible for methanol to just sit around on aluminium engine componets for a while. in my case im sprayaing just after the compressor in a pipe that goes upwards, so any liquid fuel will just go downwards and puddle at the bottom of the compressor, if the engine doesnt suck it all in. Also after a full power run if you were to say shut the engine of immediately- say a blown part, and the car is left for a few days with alcohol in the engine and manifolds. I'm thinking maybe even the heads and pistons could be effected by the methanol.

Do you think their is a possibiltiy for the alumium to corrode? And maybe a way around it without totally removing the methanol would be to run 50%methanol 50 % ethanol. From my experience methanol is a far better fuel in terms of cooling.

Methanol is supposedly corrosive to aluminum but I have never seen it. I had methanol sitting in an aluminum container with the top open to the air. I saw no signs whatsoever of the methanol affecting the aluminum. I left off the cover to let it slowly evaporate thinking that as the aluminum gradually made contact with the air after evaporation that there would be a sign of deterioration-but nothing! My friend made me a large aluminum tank( which I polished on the outside) to hold methanol for my DIY alky kit. I inspect the tank frequently and have seen no affects on the aluminum. The tank was in use and had alky in it since early last spring and still is in perfect condition. That's just my own experienc. Maybe there are different types of aluminum? Even with a magnifying lense the aluminum shows no corrosion. I buy VP methanol which has a small amount of oil in it. I buy it from a guy that supplies it to a local gokart track (they look like sprint cars). I don't know if he adds the lube to it or if it comes that way from VP.Anyway that's all I use.

If you mist the alcohol through a fine nozzle.. and hit it with heat(turbo).. there should be no puddling.

The flash point of methanol is approx 70 degree's.. so if its misted and 70 degree's is applied.. poof its gone.

The only issue with alcohol and aluminum is if it sits.. for an extended time period. I have seen issues with the anodized fittings in the seat and thread area where the anodize comes off.. altho I have never subjected aluminum vs alcohol testing for extended periods like 6 months+.

As a fuel system.. I would have greater concern. As an injection system.. not a prob.

I wonder if the anodizing leaves something behind when it is worn off that allows the alcohol to react with the aluminum. Maybe anodizing aluminum does something to the surface somehow? I figured i'd have a problem if I used aluminum so I experimented first. I would say that the open aluminum container held alcohol in it for about 6 months-maybe longer. It actually took longer to evaporate than I expected. It was shaped more or less like a 16 oz. tall glass and I had about 4" - 5" depth of alky in it as it sat undisturbed at least all winter. Once in a while I would move it and examine the side of the cylinder with a large magnifying glass. Couldn't see even a hint of anything going on. Or maybe it's the small amount of oil in the alky that prevents corrosion? :confused: That's why I went ahead with making my aluminum tank. I wanted to be able to polish the tank so it would look all nice and pretty. :smile: I use braided hose and AN anodized fittings, brass just before the nozzles and stainless steel nozzles. If you look at my pics you'll see that it is not stealth. I usually get coments like "the alky system from Hell" or something like that. I like the look-alot of people tell me they do too. But it;s not for everybody. Some like to be a little more dicreet. That's fine,too. Hey, so long as it works.
The only problem with alcohol affecting anything that I have experienced was when methanol remained in the Shurflo pump without the pump operating for 3-4 weeks (might have been longer than that). The rubber diaphragm got distorted and the pump no- worky too good. :rolleyes: I replaced the pump head and fixed the problem. I also took the old ,distorded pump head and soaked it in plain water for a day or so and it went back to its normal state. I haven't reused it but it looks like it would be fine. I know Razor suggests running out the alky system when you put things away for the winter and that is probably the wise thing to do. Although, if you don't drive your Buick in cold weather you don't know what fun your missing. :eek: The adage of 1HP increase for 1 degree drop in temp seems to be very true.

Friends of mine run Methanol/Two Stroke Oil in their Yamaha Banshee ATV's There setups are carbureted and a little on the rich side, but after a season of riding the piston tops resembled golf balls, they were pitted pretty bad. The alcohol had done this, but these engines were using methanol for fuel not intercooling and were going through 10 gallons a weekend on a .35 liter motor. Way more concentrated than a TR would ever see.