Methanol or Kerosene

longball

I fought the lawn...
Hello All!

I have 2 containers in my garage containing clear liquids - one is methanol, one is kerosene. Due to allergies I can't smell shit.
Both are unmarked(I know) I put some of each into a 'Solo' plastic cup to see what I could figure out. One liquid was slightly cloudy - that one melted the plastic cup. I am hoping that was the kerosene. The clear one is still fine, just evaporating. Anyone know which one would have melted the plastic cup?
I sure don't want to put kerosene in my Alky tank!

Best regards,

Longball

Correct. You can also pour a tiny bit on the driveway. Methanol will evaporate quicker, and will feel cold on the skin. It is poisonous so be careful. If you burn them side by side on the driveway, the methanol will be colorless.

Kerosine will also easily remove tar and grease/grime. It's very effective doing that, while methanol is less effective.

Correct. You can also pour a tiny bit on the driveway. Methanol will evaporate quicker, and will feel cold on the skin. It is poisonous so be careful. If you burn them side by side on the driveway, the methanol will be colorless. Kerosine will also easily remove tar and grease/grime. It's very effective doing that, while methanol is less effective.

Hi Jerryl!

Thank you for the reply. I still am not sure which one melted the cup but I will try the things you suggested in the morning and see if I can figure it out. Then I will label the damn containers! LOL Thanks again.

Best regards,

Longball

damn double post- lost the original.

I would like to thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. This sure is the best car forum in the world.!!! So many knowledgeable and helpful people. Got to love it!

Best regards,

Joel

Last edited: