Methanol Question for You guys

i set my motor to run about 1220-50 egt. 1350 sounds lean for alcohol (as far as everything i have read for N/A engines). I am bracket racing so no need to run the ragged edge. My timing is 32 final (same thought, no need to max out for bracket racing). i have never tried any other top lubes, heard way to many good things about this stuff. So far, does exactly what I have heard (no probs. with it).

Now i know i'm just a rookie here, but the one post by Mr. B says he was taught that the whole combustion process was to burn more fuel. And all along i thought it was to get as many o2 molecules in there as possible. What I'm getting out of this is that methenol's corrosiveness outweighs it's cooling properties. By removing heat from the intake tract the incoming mixture has a denser charge(more o2 molecules) which equates to making more power in addition to quelling detonation issues.........

Just my take on it though:)

i don't know if you are a rookie or not, but i do know you can't read. This is exactly what i wrote, "Unless someone has told me wrong, I thought the object to making more power was to burn more fuel".

Did i say anything about the combustion process? No. You did.

here is what you said, "Mr. B says he was taught that the whole combustion process was to burn more fuel. And all along i thought it was to get as many o2 molecules in there as possible."

i guess your car doesn't burn gasoline or alcohol, just straight oxygen. All you do is try to pack as much oxygen in as possible, you never put any fuel in it, I bet you get great gas mileage! I didn't know the combustion process was that simple, just put in as many o2 molecules as possible and that is all you need. You have definitely schooled me!

The object is to burn as much fuel as possible to make more power, yes you need more oxygen to burn more fuel, but you did not read what i said. You took it and put it in your own words to try to make me look stupid, Mr. "rookie"!

And how do you know methanol's corrosiveness outweighs it's cooling properties? I am sure you use the stuff all the time like i do. (I guess that is why indy cars use methanol too, they just like to corrode up their expensive engines)

So tell us your experiences? i would sure like to learn from all your vast knowledge with methanol.

This is what i love so much about message boards, somebody who has no idea with what is going on steps in and tries to shed some light on the idea with insults. Oh well, better luck next time "rookie".

someone has some insecurity issues huh? you may have taken it as an insult i was just saying that without o2 fuel is useless.At a given CR "what you were told" is that just cramming a ****load of fuel in there is all you need(mr. expert methanol). i just noticed that you stated you need to burn as much fuel as possible to make as much power as you could(that is only part of the equation methanol expert). Hello! Simple Simon how many races do you think those indy cars run before a complete tear down? this is what i love about message boards someone that has so much knowledge of what is going on they get a complex about anyone disputing their testimony.

Any way thanks for your vast knowledge you can now go back to N.A.S.A I think they're wondering where you went to!!!!!!!

Give your village a call they're missing an idiot..................

Guys, guys! You both know more than you are giving each other credit for! Sheesh, let's stop the 'semantics' war, and stick to sharing information.

OK?

I don't care who started it, neither one of you are going to get a gold star in the 'works, and plays well with others' column this week. :)

Go stand in your respective corners, and think about what you have said. If you must, write long and endearing E-Mails to each other, until you have filled the ranks of your 'Mutual Admiration Society'.

For those interested in learning more about different fuels, try this book. 'High-Performance Automotive Fuels and Fluids' by Jeff Hartman. You can get it on Amazon.com.

My thinking is, one of the most important things you can do is increase displacement and/or volumetric efficiency. That will allow you to pack more air and/or oxygenator in the cylinder so that you can ultimately burn MORE fuel. If you pick a fuel that will give you more bang (SE) for the given amount of O2 available, then you end up with potentially more power. Just look at nitro burners.

ok trading T/A i will give the village a call, what's your phone number?