You can type here any text you want

Mid 10's? What Mod's do you recommend?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jcj53115

I own a 87 GN with 126K miles on it, my goal for the car is Mid to high 10's. What i would like to know it what mods i'm gonna have to have to do this and keep it totally streetable as that will be 99% on it's use. Mechanically everything is in great shape and i have no doubt the long block can handle it. I plan to remove the motor here in the next week or two and while i got it out would like to do as much of the upgrades as possible. Heres a list of the upgrades that are done currntly and that im looking to improve on:

42.5 Green Top Injectors
Duttwieler I/C upgrade
TA60 w/actuator
Walbro 340 hotwired
3"DP with highflow cat
Hooker SS cat back
Red Armstong Chip

While i have the motor out this winter i plan to girdle the bottom end, port and polish the heads and intake myself (not the first i've done), I'm also going to fab & install a FMIC that im getting off E-Bay, Razors Alky kit is a must, RJC Precision plenum 70 mmTB and plate and install a 3200rpm stall.
I'm looking for input on what else i may need to reach my goal???? ie.... what injectors should i use, stock cam??? or roller??? , where can i get a good set of headers? Who do you recommend to do the chip when i'm ready? ect...
Wanna make sure i got all the pieces put together before i start so any and all info and opinions on these possible combo's would be greatly appreciated, none of this is in stone yet so if this wont get me where i wanna go i can make changes now
Thanks in advance Everyone

For mid 10's you will need at the minimum 72lber's. Cam wise, roller is nice is you have the $$$ but a nice flat tappet is fine too. Some will say the stock cam is good for 10's which is fine. But if you're going through the motor most will say to go ahead and upgrade the cam. I like a roller set up personally. You will probably need more turbo than a TA60. Although those have gone 10's I would think of going larger. Chip I would go with the Translator Pro and Pro chip, it eliminates the maf totally to run speed density. I run it and couldn't be happier. Very detailed tunability. My set up in my sig is a very nice mid-low 10 set up, I have more tuning to do than my time indicates but still good for first trip out on a new motor and stuff. As far as headers go, if you have a good set of stockers they will do but they do have some age on them now where reliability is a factor. Not to pimp what I have but I have a nice set of headers for sale right now if you might be interested :) Alot have gone 10's going different ways to get there but you'll find that the most things in common are 72's or bigger injectors, tried and true intercooler, very good chip, heads and turbo not to mention a healthy fuel system ie, double pumper. At this level the tranny will need some attention as well so expect to have to deal with that too. But from what you listed you seem to be looking in the right direction. Good luck! :)

DonnieShort said:
I have but I have a nice set of headers for sale right now if you might be interested :)
brand? and price? and pics? tooltyme@sbcglobal.net
researched and found the TA60 is good 4 what i wanna do so i figured i'll use it for now and spend that $$$ elsewhere
will the stock fuel lines handle the double pumper?

I also very strongly suggest you do something to beef up your transmission. A 10 second motor will probably bust a stock 200-4R on the first pass or 2! :eek:

Spend the money on heads, turbo, engine management, tranny and converter.

Mine runs a non-lockup on a 2004r, hyd cam, small shaft 67, OEM pistons.. list of mods are on the TTA FAQ's..

Times in sig were done this weekend on 93 octane, 16 inch GTA wheels.. and a heavy car

Tom Cramer's Car

Take a look at this.
Tom Cramer's Car
Cramer run's in the upper tens, on MSD 50s, with stock heads, and stock headers, and a "stretch" stock location intercooler. If you've got lots of $$$, you can get there with less work than he did, but if you take a look at his combo, it will at least give you some ideas. A better chip, bigger injectors, some alky, and who knows?

huh

i've seen a build up where the guy used mostly stock stuff and got into the tens. stock turbo and ic, stock long block, the only upgrades were the injectors, fuel pump, fpr, adj. acuator, and a computer chip. and I think alky. dont believe all the hype of spending a fortune on going tens in these cars, they were built with restrictions but were still fast. a little more fuel, a little more boost, and the right tuning of stock stuff with injectors and a good chip will get you close to your goal. I personally dont believe you have to re do everything in your engine to get into the tens. maybe not a low ten, but a high ten is obtainable with some solid upgrades on the stock long block w/ turbo..... just my two cents here.

TURBOELKY said:
i've seen a build up where the guy used mostly stock stuff and got into the tens. stock turbo and ic, stock long block, the only upgrades were the injectors, fuel pump, fpr, adj. acuator, and a computer chip. and I think alky. dont believe all the hype of spending a fortune on going tens in these cars, they were built with restrictions but were still fast. a little more fuel, a little more boost, and the right tuning of stock stuff with injectors and a good chip will get you close to your goal. I personally dont believe you have to re do everything in your engine to get into the tens. maybe not a low ten, but a high ten is obtainable with some solid upgrades on the stock long block w/ turbo..... just my two cents here.
oh yeah, mu buddys got a fully built gn, he can run 10's all day, he's got 65lb inj.'s, 73 & up would be redicilous,

Donnie Short , who made your headers - how much you asking, got any p ics. PM me, thanks!

TURBOELKY said:

I know it can be done with just the basics but i dont wanna just barly get there and be pushing the limits, i plan to drive this daily in the summer and dont wanna be affraid to push it into the 10's constintaly without going boommmm. :eek: I'd like to know that everything is up to the challange on a daily basis
Thanks For all the help guys

TURBOELKY said:
i've seen a build up where the guy used mostly stock stuff and got into the tens. stock turbo and ic, stock long block, the only upgrades were the injectors, fuel pump, fpr, adj. acuator, and a computer chip.

Fastest stock turbo, longblock is 11.37 Ed in KC

TURBOELKY said:

Stock turbo and intercooler will not get you in the ten's. Julio said it best, heads & turbo, trans and a good converer. Some of us have been there and done it.
It's not always as easy as it sounds........ just my 2$
.....John

I have a set of low miles Delphi 75# injectors that are coming out of my car shortly. If interested let me know.

TURBOELKY said:
oh yeah, mu buddys got a fully built gn, he can run 10's all day, he's got 65lb inj.'s, 73 & up would be redicilous,

Ask any vendor/ builder/ tuner and they will recommend nothing short of at least 72's when putting together a set up for 10's. Sure lesser injectors have gone 10's but since the guy is buying a set anyway why not get something that'll be doing it at a safer duty cycle? Buy once not often.

Yeah

I do agree on buying once not often. I need injectors too, and a few other things, I guess I'll have to look into that for when I come around to buying a set too huh. :cool:

DonnieShort said:
Ask any vendor/ builder/ tuner and they will recommend nothing short of at least 72's when putting together a set up for 10's. Sure lesser injectors have gone 10's but since the guy is buying a set anyway why not get something that'll be doing it at a safer duty cycle? Buy once not often.

I totally agree, 72's do seem like a lot but you hit the nail right on the head with this quote, I only wanna buy ONCE, and would rather over build it rather then push what i do buy to the limit and be replacing parts constantly, keep in mind i'm gonna abuse this thing and an almost daily basis :biggrin: and dont wanna be replacing things every other weekend. I'm not looking to get into the 10's as cheap as possible, but get there safely and without destroying parts

jcj53115 said:
I totally agree, 72's do seem like a lot but you hit the nail right on the head with this quote, I only wanna buy ONCE, and would rather over build it rather then push what i do buy to the limit and be replacing parts constantly, keep in mind i'm gonna abuse this thing and an almost daily basis :biggrin: and dont wanna be replacing things every other weekend. I'm not looking to get into the 10's as cheap as possible, but get there safely and without destroying parts

Beat on it daily, you'll need 4 spare motors.. change em often.. like diapers..

Want it to live.. build a 9 second combo.. run it in the mid 11 second range. Should last a while..

Cheap and 9 second 109 combo.. :wink:

With Tom's combo, we were running out of injector big time. i could not get enough fuel in it to keep the EGTs down. We now run 72#ers and the same combo. it easily goes high 10's where it was a struggle with the 50#ers. I think that a staged double pumper extends the range of injectors considerably.

Back