Mini starter, who's got a good one at a good price?

Gnx6

I have a mini starter in my car I got from SE Turbo back in 05... Last week I drove the car for an hour, shut it off for 5 min then went to re-start it. I let got of the key too soon. When I went to crank again the starter cranked over slow. I'm pretty sure that is a heat soak/getting old...

Who has a good one at a good price?

Or what application are the mini starters originally for so I can find one. Thanks!

I have a mini starter in my car I got from SE Turbo back in 05... Last week I drove the car for an hour, shut it off for 5 min then went to re-start it. I let got of the key too soon. When I went to crank again the starter cranked over slow. I'm pretty sure that is a heat soak/getting old...

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-10547...-jeep-mini-starter-long-short-mt-sdr0059.aspx

I don't know how good it is but I'm going to find out. So far the ones that have it like them and for that price, I think it's worth a shot.

Ya, thanks.. Was thinking of putting a Tilton starter in but they don't list for Buicks.. Anyone know which tilton starter is used for GN?

get one for a Chevy V8. a starter for a small diameter (153 tooth) flywheel fits.. the usual application to ask for is a 96 LT4 powered Corvette.
most of the aftermarket mini starters for a Chevy engine have a dual bolt pattern to use with the small and big flywheels- it will either be right on or 1/2" off, depending on which holes you use.

I have the mini starter thats in the link above for $58.00 shipped. It works great but i'm sure it will quit working sooner or later,no way of telling how long it will last. When it does i think i will use it as a core and get one with a lifetime warranty from the local Autozone store.

Since you already have a bad starter to use as a core thats what i think you should do also and you will never have to worry about it again,just a suggestion.

The application would be for an 1995 Camaro v8 if you want to look it up on Autozone's web site.

Iv'e had a $99 starter in my car for 6 years and MANY, MANY starts and miles, NO problem. So who knows???

So If its listed for a standard small block chevy and it has a dual bolt pattern it probably fits a turbo Buick??

if it looks like this, then yes:

p38999.jpg

this is a pic of the LT4 starter that most people put in, with a standard HD starter next to it. i took this pic when i was putting the LT4 Vette starter in my 86 Camaro this summer. this LT4 starter was in my Regal for a few years and worked perfectly, but i decided to put it in my Camaro for reliability on my road trip to Texas in June:

556906_10151759412180441_1668647704_n.jpg

here it is installed in the Camaro.. it looked very similar in the Regal:

561348_10151760250160441_134800468_n.jpg

Iv'e had a $99 starter in my car for 6 years and MANY, MANY starts and miles, NO problem. So who knows???
We have sold them since 06 When Big Al use to sell them. He handed me over his business when he got out. Only problems we had is when they were installed on Stage 2's. That was hard to get more then a year out of them but we always stood behind them.

The one Derrik is showing is a gear reduction type and they hold up better than the PMG (small body) style. The PMG type use a special permanant rare earth magnet and if it's damaged it has to be replaced. This can happen from getting them hot or even dropping it from as little as 2" off concrete. The gear reduction type has conventional elctro magnets and can be rebuilt fairly easily in most cases.;)

If it helps, every time I back off the key right before the car busts off, it's always turned over slow before it cranks. No idea what causes it, but I've had it happen on 3 different TRs with 5 different engines. On my cars original engine I'd have lifter rattle after it happens.

If it helps, every time I back off the key right before the car busts off, it's always turned over slow before it cranks. No idea what causes it, but I've had it happen on 3 different TRs with 5 different engines. On my cars original engine I'd have lifter rattle after it happens.
Go to bigger cables Earl. I've had this issue before and going with a larger cable always helps make it spin faster.;)

The cables are fine. It only does it right after I give up right before it busts off. It almost acts like it's barely almost hydrolocked when it hits.

I'm not sure if my 9:1 4.2 has done it yet. This is the first time I've had a gear reduction starter so I don't back off the starter as fast as I used to.