Monte Carlo Comments!

Nati Beastcat

Party at the Moon Tower
I've had my GN for about 4 days now. Can't believe how many heads it turns and thumbs up its gets. But not today! Today I received my first SWEET "Monte Carlo" just 4 days into ownership. I might keep a piece of paper in my glove box just to see how many of of these I get during my time of ownership.

Since the Monte seemed to be the most abundant and well known G-body, any G-body is a Monte Carlo to non car people. :) Also, all Turbo Regals are Grand Nationals. I get that a lot. When you explain it is the same drivetrain you just get a look like "whatever."

Last edited:
I've had my GN for about 4 days now. Can't believe how many heads it turns and thumbs up its gets. But not today! Today I received my first SWEET "Monte Carlo" just 4 days into ownership. I might keep a piece of paper in my glove box just to see how many of of these I get during my time of ownership.
I get that all the time! :rolleyes:

I might keep a piece of paper in my glove box just to see how many of of these I get during my time of ownership.
You'll need lots of paper. Lol. When I had a GN I couldn't fill gas in peace without somebody trying to make conversation about it. Now that I have this Limited, not one comment. Only the hardcore Turbo Buick enthusiast knows what it is. Just the way I like it! (y)

Ive had decent luck (at least lately) with the "Nice MC" thing ... I had a guy say he knows it's not a Monte but didn't know there was any cool Regals, he couldn't wrap his head around the fact that the turbo was stock. I told him to wiki it. However, he never called it a monte, small victories. (Not so lucky with other people though)

What I get as an 84 owner is: "what's with the custom interior?" and/or: "Why would you remove the factory wheels for Dukes of Hazzard wheels."

You'll need lots of paper. Lol. When I had a GN I couldn't fill gas in peace without somebody trying to make conversation about it. Now that I have this Limited, not one comment. Only the hardcore Turbo Buick enthusiast knows what it is. Just the way I like it! (y)

The exact reason i sold my gn and bought a white t type, saved me a lot of explaining. Now if only i could have an easier time convincing the mild car guys that the t types were indeed intercooled and lighter/faster than the grand nationals i would have it made!

;)

Attachments

• 1444885294672.jpg
    1444885294672.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 1444888083662.jpg
    1444888083662.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 1444888149002.jpg
    1444888149002.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 159
It was bound to happen. I think the Monte comments are worse for T owners. I've heard some odd ones like "why did you paint a Grand National maroon?" and "Damn that 305 sounds good" for example. The GN's got all the publicity so odds are slightly better that people will know what it is. You'll probably hear "nice GNX" soon enough.

Ive had decent luck (at least lately) with the "Nice MC" thing ... I had a guy say he knows it's not a Monte but didn't know there was any cool Regals, he couldn't wrap his head around the fact that the turbo was stock. I told him to wiki it. However, he never called it a monte, small victories. (Not so lucky with other people though)

What I get as an 84 owner is: "what's with the custom interior?" and/or: "Why would you remove the factory wheels for Dukes of Hazzard wheels."

A little orange paint and a rebel flag on top and you're good to go!

might hang a few of those up in my office lamo

It was bound to happen. I think the Monte comments are worse for T owners. I've heard some odd ones like "why did you paint a Grand National maroon?" and "Damn that 305 sounds good" for example. The GN's got all the publicity so odds are slightly better that people will know what it is. You'll probably hear "nice GNX" soon enough.

Got the GNX comment on facebook already... is it bad that I hit "like" lol

I've got a WE4 and people call it a GN all the time. I usually don't even correct them any more but when I do I usually use the, "You know how the Mustang GT and LX 5.0 are really the same car with just different trim." explanation. The older crowd seems to understand that pretty well but with the younger crowd I get, "What's a 5.0?" :confused:

One comment that I've gotten several times is, "Hey man, nice International." I just say thanks but I'm thinking, "I don't own a f-in tractor, moron".

If you really wanna confuse or f with people drive a chrome package turbo Limited, with a 55/45 bench and column shifter. Those who get semi-close ask if it's or call it a GN.

Otherwise, nice Monte Carlo. Thanks. That thing got a 305? Yup. That thing got a 350? Yup. Twin turbos, sick. Hell yeah, how'd you know? I'll trade you an IROC straight up.

Or tell em it's a rocket ship, I just hijacked NASA. I've been known to. Either this or I tell em it's my grandma's car, I just borrowed it. Last person I said this to, told me my grandma drives a badass car; right before I went sideways through the intersection.

Last edited:
I happen to stop by a dealership in my home town that took a GN in on trade...for grins I asked the price. The genius salesman told me it was headed to barret Jackson and should be worth $130-150 k. You can imagine how hard I laughed, he didn't seem impressed when i told him he didn't seem to know much about cars. Lol. Why do people think they are so valuable...wish it were true

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hard to tell, but this sticker says "Not a Monte"

Doesn't work, people still say it

Attachments

• _20151015_202437.JPG
    _20151015_202437.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 120
I had an V8 '87 with the T package (factory olds 307). Black trim, chrome trim ect.

After I swapped a 400 SBC into it, my buddy called it the Buick MC-Type.