You can type here any text you want

More Power - Is It Worth The Changes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

flipmo

"Come Correct - Boosted"
Guys, I have a question. I'm just wondering and looking for a little feedback. I'm already thinking about changing my turbo and injectors.

Basically, would I gain significantly more power by adding a 76mm or maybe 88mm turbo along w/adding 160lbs injectors and retuning the F.A.S.T. My converter really seems to wakeup around the 4000 rpm range, so I think I'm O.K. with the current stall. It really seems to take off aggressively at around 4200 rpms, but still drives great on the street when I lock up the converter.

So, will a 76 or 88 Turbo and 160 Injectors give me a little more power? If so, which size turbo would you guys go with?

If anyone thinks I'm crazy just hollow, because I'm already ready to make the changes. I know Bill, you're saying damn Tony, you're not even letting the current setup break itself in. You know me man, I'm already looking for more power without pulling the motor. Or any other suggestions without going Stage II? I basically want to max out my Stage I.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

:cool: flip

How fast have you gone thus far? How much boost have you used on the 70? How fast would you like to go?

lazaris said:
How fast have you gone thus far? How much boost have you used on the 70? How fast would you like to go?
What's up Laz? Well, I haven't "Trapped Speeded" the car yet; however, I would like to run somewhere in the high-9 to low-10 range easily. I'm sure I have the current parts to get me there, "BUT". The most boost I've personally pulled so far has been 22lbs and backed out of it. The car felt pretty good also while pulling with no hesitation at all. So not quite sure of the 1/4 mile capability; however, it has dynoed in the upper 680 RWHP range.

I was simply asking whether or not you all thought a 76mm or 88mm turbo along w/160 injectors and retuning will increase overall horsepower/torque and performance simply by changing those two parts. If you all think it's a waste of money, then just let me know but if not, I want to take it to the next level, redyno it, and finally put it on the drag strip and turn some numbers.

flip

flipmo said:
What's up Laz? Well, I haven't "Trapped Speeded" the car yet; however, I would like to run somewhere in the high-9 to low-10 range easily. I'm sure I have the current parts to get me there, "BUT". The most boost I've personally pulled so far has been 22lbs and backed out of it. The car felt pretty good also while pulling with no hesitation at all. So not quite sure of the 1/4 mile capability; however, it has dynoed in the upper 680 RWHP range.

I was simply asking whether or not you all thought a 76mm or 88mm turbo along w/160 injectors and retuning will increase overall horsepower/torque and performance simply by changing those two parts. If you all think it's a waste of money, then just let me know but if not, I want to take it to the next level, redyno it, and finally put it on the drag strip and turn some numbers.

flip

I wouldnt do it, it will take away from the street manners. It has a hydraulic roller too, so it is not going to want to run up in the high rpms that would necessitate a bigger turbo,

My advice would be to take it to the track and see where it is at. I'd bet high 9's are going to happen once you get it turned up a little. I'd get your combo maxed out before I stepped up any bigger.

EightSecV6 said:
I wouldnt do it, it will take away from the street manners. It has a hydraulic roller too, so it is not going to want to run up in the high rpms that would necessitate a bigger turbo,
Thanks Bill/Ted. That's exactly what I was looking for. See, I am a rational guy. To be perfectly honest and considering EOM specs on Turbos, I was thinking a 70mm turbo would have to be breathing pretty hard to break and sustain mid-to-high 9 second runs.

Since I know my combo will support a bigger turbo, I simply thought a bigger turbo would easily get the car there and run those expected times more efficiently and freely. So I guess bigger is not always better or bigger is not always the answer.

Do you guys know of anyone out there running consistent mid-to-high 9s with a 70mm turbo of any kind (P-trim or Q-trim, etc...)?

Thanks Again

flip

flipmo said:
Thanks Bill/Ted. That's exactly what I was looking for. See, I am a rational guy. To be perfectly honest and considering EOM specs on Turbos, I was thinking a 70mm turbo would have to be breathing pretty hard to break and sustain mid-to-high 9 second runs.

Since I know my combo will support a bigger turbo, I simply thought a bigger turbo would easily get the car there and run those expected times more efficiently and freely. So I guess bigger is not always better or bigger is not always the answer.

Do you guys know of anyone out there running consistent mid-to-high 9s with a 70mm turbo of any kind (P-trim or Q-trim, etc...)?

Thanks Again

flip

I went 9.53 at 142 with 209 cubic inches (TSM car) with the same turbo you have and a 3 bolt exh hsg, won 2 of the TSM races out of 3 I went to.

EightSecV6 said:
I went 9.53 at 142 with 209 cubic inches (TSM car) with the same turbo you have and a 3 bolt exh hsg, won 2 of the TSM races out of 3 I went to.
Damn!!!! And Wow!!!! However, you are Bill Anderson and not Tony Thornton - LOL :D.

Didn't think a 70mm turbo was that "Potent or Consistent" on the "Big End" but now I see. :cool:

O.K., I'll put the issue to bed and just send her down the 1/4 on both Low and High Boost and see what happens. Maybe not, just high boost because I think I'll get pulled after the first run, Right (no caged street car)?

Stay Tuned and Thanks

flip

I went 9.23 @ 147 with a 70 gtq 3 bolt in TSM trim and I win just about every TSM event I run at. :D

top gun said:
I went 9.23 @ 147 with a 70 gtq 3 bolt in TSM trim and I win just about every TSM event I run at. :D

Hopefully your car will make an appearance for the 2006 season Dave, looking for you to run a number...

EightSecV6 said:
Hopefully your car will make an appearance for the 2006 season Dave, looking for you to run a number...

Just waiting for others to throw down a number then I will return from retirement. :eek:

I've used the version of the 70GTQ (cast wheel, not milled) to go 154 on an honest 23# of boost. Granted, it's no heavy Regal but it's also only 235" motor with a stock bottom end that was built in my garage.

Roger

Nashty said:
I've used the version of the 70GTQ (cast wheel, not milled) to go 154 on an honest 23# of boost. Granted, it's no heavy Regal but it's also only 235" motor with a stock bottom end that was built in my garage.

Roger
Did you have a lot of tire spin off the line, which could also account for the higher mph?

flip

flipmo said:
Did you have a lot of tire spin off the line, which could also account for the higher mph?

flip

wives tale.

at least in my experience.... regardless of 60ft my mph is always within 1-2 mph
and my highest mph corresponds with some of my best 60fts.

Not really any spin but it wasn't launching that hard either. And it does only weigh 2400 with me in it (and I'm not 300# - yet). One of these days I'll have it back out and see what it does with 30# of boost and a 50 shot.

Maybe I'm the king of the 70 turbo world !!! :eek:

Nashty said:
Not really any spin but it wasn't launching that hard either. And it does only weigh 2400 with me in it (and I'm not 300# - yet). One of these days I'll have it back out and see what it does with 30# of boost and a 50 shot.

Maybe I'm the king of the 70 turbo world !!! :eek:

I would say you are! :biggrin:

Back