more shims

BlackBandit

God loves Buicks!
So there I am installing a roller cam using comps shimmable roller button. I get it together with all the shims in it and I have .030 inches of clearance. :mad: So does anyone know where I can get some shims for that thing? TIA james

I had the same problem with my austempered cam. From what I learned the Fel-Pro gasket is a lot thicker than the stocker. I ended up ordering more shims from the Buick club where I purchased it from.

Maybe I'll try and modify the cup portion that goes in the cam to take up the extra. And yes, modify is code for hit with a hammer.:biggrin:

Uhh..do you really want to do that? What if it bends back and you have the same end play again? I tried fabbing washers but I was never satisfied with the result. I finally ordered the washers and it measured out perfect. They mailed them in an envelope at no charge. Only took a few days.

Okay, so I didn't use the hammer. Thanks for the link jpwalt How long have you been running yours like this and have you had any problems? I think I'm going to do it. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again. james

I am still in the process of assembling my engine right now. Make sure that you install the front cover several times to squish the gasket to make sure you get an accurate measurement. I also put some marking dye on the cam sensor drive gear to make sure that all meshes up correctly. this is with a brand new silver seal front cover and a felpro gasket that was torqued down about 5 times. I measured from the back of the cam with a dial indicator.. good luck, jeremy:cool:

I was cleaning up the garage, getting ready to glue a washer to my front cover when I saw my old roller button for my flat tappet cam. I noticed it's got two shims, one on either side of the torrington bearing so I decided to take it apart and have a closer look. Well it turns out they are .030 shims (which happens to be the exact amount I need) and the only difference is that the center hole isn't big enough. So I'm going to see if I can open it up enough to just use it instead. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks. james