Most Creative Heater Box Removal

Epitome

Staff member
My stage motor is coming along and now have a small heater core leak. I really don't want to lose the ability to heat the car, but I know that removing the heater box makes everything much easier. Anyone keep their heat or do something creative to gain clearance and keep heat another way? Thanks :)

Well, I guess I was one of the last ones to get an ATR kidney plate kit with the modified heater core. It worked pretty well, and was a relatively easy install, considering it was my first try at fiberglass. :)

I understand you can still get the fiberglass kidney plates from ATR, but not the heater core. Maybe get the plate and get a core made by a radiator shop?

Lastly, the non-a/c heater box from G-bodies is a possibility. It's been discussed on this board several times.

Do what I really, really want to do to mine: put a Vintage Air or similar street-rod style AC/heat system under the dash. You can have a totally flat firewall with modern heat and air. The crazy part is, they're probably less expensive for an entire system than just a rebuilt compressor and a couple of lines would cost for the stock system.

Originally posted by KendallF
Do what I really, really want to do to mine: put a Vintage Air or similar street-rod style AC/heat system under the dash. You can have a totally flat firewall with modern heat and air. The crazy part is, they're probably less expensive for an entire system than just a rebuilt compressor and a couple of lines would cost for the stock system.

Kendall, I've been perusing the Vintage Air catalog and daydreaming, myself. The only thing I can't come up with is the compressor mounting. Got any ideas?

Here is the important thing for me and I think it makes my dilemma easier, I do not have and do not want the A/C. All I want is heat and defrosters. This makes it easier right? How would you do it? I have heard that the heater box for a car ordered without A/C helps with clearance for the valve cover/head, but is it significant? Or is there a much better way to go? The Vintage System you speak of? Is there a heater only system? Thanks :)

Got a vintage air on my car with A/C and heat. Using the stock compressor and mounts with it with stage II heads. Biggest issue was gutting the back of the dash and fabbing all new ductwork. You will also lose your glovebax-big deal! Using a heat only kit may be a liitle easier to package under the dash with less ductwork. Looking back keeping the A/C on a 150 MPH street car was not worth it, but it sure is nice to say I have it.

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas
9.01 @ 150 tagged, inspected, and driven

We put a non-a/c box from a Malibu in this car, heat and defrost still works, we notched it and re fiberglassed it in. It has plenty of clearance around the 4" downpipe.
jeffnats.jpg

I too removed the heater/AC box to better access the passenger side of the motor. I don't know what the perfect solution is but I looked at a large number of cars at the local salvage yard and decided to go with a Cavalier heater assembly (1989-93). It fits the area perfectly and looks like a factory installation. Installing it onto the plate was velatively easy. At this point you must decide whether the heater must work with the Regal controls and ducts or whether its acceptable to utilize separate controls and simply vent hot air under the passanger side of the dash. Your decision will determine the effort required. Good luck!