Most efficient space heater?

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
I am from Hawaii and don't have a lot of experience with space heaters. Now we live in a place with four seasons. Have geothermal heat but it is turned on/off at certain times of the year. Don't want a super high electricity bill. Been looking around. Found three types. Oil filled, IR radiant, Ceramic. All are really small. The room is 10x15. Are any of these heaters power hogs?

Ryan,
First off I would like to thank you for your service.

Regarding your question I wonder if a dehumidifier would help?

Gregg

I found that a ceramic unit will turn on and off and make noise, will blast hot air until room heats then shut off. An oil filled on is like a radiator, constantly on but constant heat, will maintain to a more non cyclic heat pattern and not make noise. we run them at work so not sure of there efficiency but i do like the oil filled one better. just some insight.

All electric heaters are pretty much close to 100% efficient no matter the type. There are difference in operation though as described above. The problem is resistance electric heat is an expensive way to heat. $$ per BTU is very high for electric heat. Its easy, clean, etc. But its not $$ per BTU economical compared to other methods of heat. Obviously if you only wish to heat one room you dont have much choice. Then the decision is based on operation preference. Efficiency will be about the same. Watts is watts. They will all put off right about exactly the same BTU if the watts used are the same.

More reading http://energy.gov/energysaver/electric-resistance-heating

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

its all media hype /marketing
electric heat is resistance no matter how you slice it if you plug it in 1500 watts is max for 110v circuit. Radiant heat will heat objects and object heat air .other then that they are all the same close to 100% efficient and close to the worse dollar per BTUH product you can buy !.each one will give you about 5100 BTUH..same as a hair dryer.I throw up everytime i see one of those money saving electric heat comercials come on TV.locally costs about 5 times more then natural gas think about that 5 times

I used an oil filled one and it dried the air out like you wouldn't believe. I think I threw it away. Seems like the home stores get a larger variety every year.

Thanks all for the input. Guess the oil.......if anything.....would be slightly less energy hungry since it does not have a fan. The IR/radiant heaters dont have fans but look like they would suck a lot of electricity since it turns into a huge open faced toaster...... I don't know.....this is what I get for overthinking things. All the heaters are really small..... 1500/2000 watts. All are about the size of a stock intercooler. Anyone see a calculator for heating a space by square footage?

1500 watt heater will take the chill out of a decent sized room. A 2000w heater would require a 20A circuit. They all "suck" electricity. 1500 watts is 1500 watts weather it looks like a toaster, or heats oil.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

A proper heat loss calculation is an ugly thing, Inputs on insulation levels , temperature differential, degree days, glazing, quality of sealing- air infiltration etc. Guessing you want some rule of thumb but we still don't have enough information for that.

Since you already have geo thermal heating, and only looking to heat a 10x15 room for comfort. Get a treadmill, seriously. Body heat and the TV will warm that room up in no time flat. Not making fat jokes, im just saying that if the room is 67 degrees and you get on the treadmill every hour for 10 minutes you will be sweating and not need to warm the room up cause you warmed it up with burning off them calories.
My house is 2000 square feet upstairs, 2000 square feet below. I turn on the tv, start running and set the stat to 65 in the winter

Just sayin'

its all media hype /marketing
electric heat is resistance no matter how you slice it if you plug it in 1500 watts is max for 110v circuit. Radiant heat will heat objects and object heat air .other then that they are all the same close to 100% efficient and close to the worse dollar per BTUH product you can buy !.each one will give you about 5100 BTUH..same as a hair dryer.I throw up everytime i see one of those money saving electric heat comercials come on TV.locally costs about 5 times more then natural gas think about that 5 times

All so true...my Plasma tv is more effiecient then the 1500 watt hair drier...Fuck that TV can heat a room

Guess my LED tv is too cool. Dont know the Amperage my ckts can hold. I'm on 220v not 110v. If that makes a difference.

I have a kill a watt. Plug your tv computer what ever

It shows watts, volts, amps used in real time

My sony 55 inch plasma tv draws 130-275 watts depending on settings like cinema, vivid, theater..
I normally have it set at 190-200 watts. No way does it keep the room warm in the winter!

Ryan, where are you at these days?

It also depends on where you are. For example; if you are in Michigan heating a small room will take more Btu's than if you are in Florida. The reason for this is because it gets down right cold in Michigan. What they call cold in Florida we call shorts and tee shirt weather. It also depends on the quality of the building and the amount of insulation.