Motor Oil

Tommyg

I'm going to change oil today for the first time after my rebuild. What type should I use? I now live in New Mexico where the temperatuues are pretty hot. This 87 gn is my daily driver.

I've always used Valvoline. Never had any issues.

My engine lost it's oil pressure somewhere on it's best run (9.67) last week from a cracked block. It stayed together...no rod knock or anything. I'm anxious to see what the bearings and all look like when I tare it down here soon. That will be the real test.

my best friend has a procharged 522 in his 3660lb 69 camaro new combo ran 5.32 at 138 he is dead set on gas station cheap oil says ''oil dosent make or break the engine i do'' though its not a daily driven car it is weekend driven

I use Rotella 15w40 along with comps break in additive on EVERY oil change. After the additives have been taken out of the oils our cars are very proned to drop cam lobes. Comp techs told me either to use my favorite oil with an additive or use Rotella. I chose to use Rotella plus the additive after smearing cam lobes on 3 cams within a year!!! Now, only time will tell if this really works or not? So far everything is fine and i have put around 5,000 miles on this one.

What do you guys think about royal purple XPR ? Its suppose to be great for turbo and supercharged motors.

Marco.

T-Top 86 Grand National 62000 km)
stock long block, stock suspension, 12 inch red stripe convertor (2800stall), te44, smc alk injection (95 % etanol), 25.5lbs boost,( boost spike 28 psi in 1st gear), 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, 42 ½ lbs 009 injectors, turbotweak alky chip with 23/21 timing, thdp, mease 24 row IC, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/50/15) 3720lbs race weight with driver. (Torque convertor locked only after car shifted in third), rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HR motor mounts, comp cam 980 valve springs. Weld Drag Lites with skinnies up front, electric exhaust cut-out.
BEST E/T
60FT=1.53
1/8= 7.25
1/4= 11.48
MPH=120.82
BEST 60FT=1.52

I personally have never used royal purple but everyone i have heard using it is very pleased with it. My wifes father use to race boats and he swore by Kendal oil, he actually was at a race where royal purple had a stand set up using weights to choke down a machine to show how good royal purple was, they offered for anyone there to try their oil and so he went and got some kendal oil and it actually took more weight to choke the machine down with the kendal. Needless to say the guy puting on the demo was speechless.:eek:

I heard that advanced auto parts was going to start carrying it here in Mississippi?

bang 4 buck use the rotella t comes in gallons and stays clean . pf52 here works fine to me. my cam oil galleys are drilled out maby that helps me?