Motor Trend June 1976.. Anybody remember this?

jopaustu

I was 4, so obviously I don't. Came across this tattered rag a few years back. Great article about Buicks turbo charged performance. 300 h.p. Out of their hot air v6.It put the buick v8 to bed.... found it intetesting

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Probably help if I added the cover photo that prompted my posting... duh

Attachments

• 1372297157384.jpg
    1372297157384.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 189
In 1976, to achieve those numbers was something spectacular and unseen. I mean a v6 that was a little over half the size of any v8 of any of the big three had with the same numbers, is just mind boggling.

Ingenuity in those times was something else. Things like this is what makes me want to live back in those times.

Doesn't surprise me at all.;) What you're missing is the beginning of GM turbo power.:D That was in the early 60's on 2 different cars.:cool:

Please tell me more.

Like James mentioned, the Chevy Corvair Monza spyder and the Olds F-85 Jetfire. Both were draw through carb systems and at the time were cutting edge. The Olds had a 215 aluminum V8 in it and the Corvair had a 150 CID 150 HP engine. Now just imagine doing this without any type of computer.;)

That Olds engine design went to Range Rover correct?

That Olds engine design went to Range Rover correct?

i believe so... and i think they kept using that same engine design until the 90's some time...

edit: wikipedia says the last factory installed "Rover V8" was in the 2005 model year, so it had a 40 year production run... it also says that they still make them for aftermarket and replacement engines...

The Olds engine is slightly different from the Buick 215 but they're basically the same. It was sold to the britts in the 60's and is still in use in Range Rovers in some locals. It still has the original bell housing mount that GM used when it was first produced.

Another photo from the article. Sorry about the low quality. Any one seen one of these in person? Any still on the road?

Having trouble attaching photos.

Attachments

• 1372362710406.jpg
    1372362710406.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 94
Like James mentioned, the Chevy Corvair Monza spyder and the Olds F-85 Jetfire. Both were draw through carb systems and at the time were cutting edge. The Olds had a 215 aluminum V8 in it and the Corvair had a 150 CID 150 HP engine. Now just imagine doing this without any type of computer.;)

The 1966 Corvair Corsa (turbo) had 180 hp

The silver/orange/red/black theme was big then, I recall there were hawk graphics on some models also. Buick used hawks in the 80s advertising too. There was a slantback Regal when they downsized it in '78 with those graphics as well. I remember a 442 designed like that. I had a '76 Cutlass Supreme. That was the niceset looking car I truly remember having ever. Very classic.

The 1966 Corvair Corsa (turbo) had 180 hp

The literature I've got only shows 150 but it's very possible it's wrong or the first version. I'm sure the later versions had more power in them, and with a little tweeking it could make even more.

The olds jetfire had factory installed alcohol injection, they called it turbo rocket fuel and you had to buy it from the dealer to refill the alky bottle. I would like to own one some day.

Thats cool, my first car was a 1977 Buick Rubber City Special. Not a turbo, but looked a lot like the body style above.