You can type here any text you want

Mounted my XFI. Nightmare!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RED LS1

Just thought I should point this out for anyone searching in the future.

This was a bit of a PIA. It's like packing 10lbs of crap in a 5 LBS bag. I would like to curse Caspers for making the module like this but I would rather thank them for making a module at all.

I ran the 02 wire harness and the vacum line through the rubber plug in the corner of the firewall. You can pull it out with some long needle nose pliers. I cut the bottom of the plug, ran the stuff through it and glued it back together and stuffed it back in. Done!

I ran the caspers box behind the computer cover but it faces the wrong way and positions the O2, MAP and ground towards the front. Not a huge problem but it makes it harder to fit the MAP and Vacum hose back there.

I ran the main XFI box on the front (right side up). When I ran the wires under they were a little long and backwards. They had just enough slack to twist them around which tightend up the slack and positioned them the right way.

I ran the ground to the body tab under the glove box which I grounded bare with a dremel.

All was good and in place untill I tried to put it together on the kick panel. There was a lot of interference. I ended up re-routing the vacum hose and O2 harness one final time OVER the main Buick Harness and also had to do a little more cutting. The wire harness comming from the bottom of the caspers box was interfering with the bottom of the inner mounted kick panel. I had to cut out the section it was hitting.

After that and a little more BS it was all ready to go together. You can't really get the computer cover panel to slide up into the 2 upper mounting tabs with all this crap mounted inside of it. I than had to take the inner kick panel back out, install the kick panel and computer cover with all the crap together and install it into the car as one whole piece.

I reached under and moved the little metal, bendy, floor tab onto the inner kick panel and held it tight. I than put the button into the lower part to secure it. I went into the engine compartment and pulled any slack tight from the O2 and vacum line.

Everything looks great and is tight and completely in place. Its all secured well and I know it's not going anywhere. I am just always going to wonder if someone bumps it is it going to fly across the car like snakes out of a gag can. lol.

I also think there may have been a way to run the Caspers box facing the right way which probably would have made this all much easier. But when I did make it the right way it wouldn't pull far enough foward. The factory Buick harness was not long enough. It wouldn't have sat in the computer cover far enough foward to work. At least I don't think so.

So, sorry for the long post but I hope it helps someone in the future.

Just to avoid the nightmare you went through, I bought the caspers extension harness, which is about 2" short to my liking also. I pulled the seat out and began the fight to the the plugs through the tiny hole in the carpet. Can you take it all apart again and take pics of your install?:wink:

Just to avoid the nightmare you went through, I bought the caspers extension harness, which is about 2" short to my liking also. I pulled the seat out and began the fight to the the plugs through the tiny hole in the carpet. Can you take it all apart again and take pics of your install?:wink:
X2--exactly what i did. I first mounted it on the kick panel, but i didn't like it so i order caspers extension and put it under the seat.
I also agree 100%, the extension needs to be 2" longer:redface:

Ironicly.... after all the work and the positive outcome....I think i'm going to also get the extension harness and put it under the seat. I just don't like the idea of a computer screwed to my panel. I don't think it looks clean, even know its clean. Than I started thinking, what about peoples wet feet and snow comming into the car. Probably may not happen but I dont want to worry about it.

I want it under the seat but may wait untill the car is running first. I'm still chipping away at putting this car together.
I'm going to add a picture of it just for searching purposes.

Just remember, I did this in my 1 car garage at 11:00pm with a drop light. I don't think it looks that good so i'm definetely going to get the extension harness and mount it under the seat. IMO, Computers shouldn't be exposed like this. It's like mounting a stereo amplifier to the dash, lol.

Anyway, with that being said, everything is mounted very tight and as correct as can be. I even recut the top hat cover to work and it's secured in place like stock. So i'll roll with it for a little while till the car is turn key. My shoes don't go anywhere near it. I couldn't take it apart and take anymore pictures. I spent a lot of time putting it all together.

0927110811.jpg

0927110811a.jpg

0927110812.jpg

0927110812a.jpg

Mine is pretty much mounted like that. I like being able to see the lights. Rarely have passengers, no snow or rain, should be fine(for me).

installed my caspers behind the glove box and xfi in glove box got the idea from pictures of something cottons did looks cool nothing in foot area

bright red box worth a chunk of money screaming steal me.
Put it under the seat

I just purchased one but do not have it yet. Are there detailed installation instructions that come with the unit?

No instructions at all. They sell a DVD which tells you how to deal with the basic functions of the XFI. If you ask me it should have came with the XFI. I watched it but didn't really learn anything more than basic stuff.

I just purchased one but do not have it yet. Are there detailed installation instructions that come with the unit?

Tony, we include detailed instructions for the adaptor harness along with additional instructions detailing what needs to be modified for the install (i.e. Map Sensor, ATS sensor, WBO2, etc..). If you are asking for directions for tuning the system, you will have a custom program installed in your XFI. I will then get on the phone with you when you do the initial startup. Afterwards, I will explain the tuning basics to you and answering any questions you might have. With the Adaptive Learning, it should get tuned rather quickly.

Tony, we include detailed instructions for the adaptor harness along with additional instructions detailing what needs to be modified for the install (i.e. Map Sensor, ATS sensor, WBO2, etc..). If you are asking for directions for tuning the system, you will have a custom program installed in your XFI. I will then get on the phone with you when you do the initial startup. Afterwards, I will explain the tuning basics to you and answering any questions you might have. With the Adaptive Learning, it should get tuned rather quickly.
Thanks Cal. I look forward to working with you on getting the car tuned.

Just to be a little more clear. I bought the XFI from Ebay. It was "New in the box" and never used. So I didn't get the whole Hartline package or insructions but I also payed under $1200 for it so it wasn't to bad figuring out how to plug in a few plugs.

Why don't you call Hartline performance and ask Holly about getting the MAP harness so you can put the MAP sensor back under the hood in the stock location....I have XFI and my MAP sensor is under the hood...WHERE IT SHOULD BE:D

-Dan

Thanks for posting all this guys! I am installing my XFI now . Very helpful.

I like the XFI mounted on the kick panel. You should try mounting one in the glove box. :eek:

I trimmed up my ECU cover a little and used the Casper harness. It came out pretty nice, you have to know what you're looking at to know it's in there.

Like where u put ur x f I sticker. Im just afraid if seen it says take me box and all lol but I have got to mount mine but not shure where so. u got ur caspers box and all in there
I was thinking glove box also just can't make my mind up. Help me decide please thanks fellers. Also if I mount under seat another 100$ for the harness ex. Just not shure

My car is kept in the garage and if we go out for a drive it doesn't leave my sight. I'm kind of paranoid about door dings and theft, it makes my wife crazy that I won't leave it sitting in a lot. Women, sheesh. . .

Back