You can type here any text you want

MOunting Subs Inverted ( On the outside)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
Ok guys I am planning a new box for the trunk of my regal to replace my current JL W3 10's. I have a pair of MTX thunder 8000 12's that are just awesome. How do these setups sound with the inverted subs? Is there anything I need to know before doing this, Like wiring the subs differnt? I havent seen too many systems like this and with the size of the magnets on my subs to get them to fit on the back package tray it will be tight and I know this way it will work. Give me some input ...

THANKS>>>>

Just as with mounting a sub normally, play around with the phase to see which sounds better. As far SQ and SPL, there isn't any difference between normally mounting and inverting (with subs).

hmmm, very interesting mcss383, I always thought it was different. Well I'll see what happens this wekend I'll let ya guys know.

mcss383, this phase you are talking about I have never seen this on any MTX amp. So I dont think I need to worry about that. what about reversing the wiring, like positive to negative negative to positive so the cone is going out instead of in and so on? I just want to make sure so I dont mess up my goods. Wait isnt phasinging what I mentioned above switching the wires around? nevr mind me just never heard too much about phasing a woofer.

Originally posted by Yedi
mcss383, this phase you are talking about I have never seen this on any MTX amp. So I dont think I need to worry about that. what about reversing the wiring, like positive to negative negative to positive so the cone is going out instead of in and so on? I just want to make sure so I dont mess up my goods. Wait isnt phasinging what I mentioned above switching the wires around? nevr mind me just never heard too much about phasing a woofer.
That is phase. :)

Putting the amps + to the subs - and so on is wiring the sub 180degree's out of phase.

Originally posted by Yedi
How do these setups sound with the inverted subs?

You mean not having the magnet in the box? Having the magnet out of the box? Or you mean Isobaric :confused:

DON'T DO IT WITH MTX 8000s!!!! I tried it and its not as crisp, but if you like long, drawn-out wooomp instead of nice clean bump, then go for it. you'll be much happier just droppin it in the box. That's my .02

DON'T DO IT WITH MTX 8000s!!!! I tried it and its not as crisp, but if you like long, drawn-out wooomp instead of nice clean bump, then go for it. you'll be much happier just droppin it in the box. That's my .02

Tom Tom Turbo, so you tried this? What type/size amp were you using? I am runnig a MTX 2300x ( 750 watts) I had these subs in a sealed box in my truck and it pounded and had mad lows.
What type of vehicle was this in? I am only consideringing doing this because of the limited space with the torsion bars for my trunk lid ( and I dont want to remove them :) )

everywhere else I have read they have said there is no sound difference at all, but if yuo said you tried it I'll take your word for it.

TurboV6 I'm not talking about an Isobaric setup, I'm just talking about having the magnets facing out of the box ( Inverted) Isobaric is when you have 2 woofers facing eachother, correct? Thanks guys.

When I tried it, I was using a Sony 760w amp and it was in the hatch of a 92 Mustang GT. It still hit has hard, but it wasn't as crisp, if you listen to classic/alternative rock you will like it more if you just drop the sub into the box the conventional way. Just my opinion.

Back