Moving GN to Canada?

mgmshar

I might be taking a job transfer to work in Canada for a few years. I would be there as a U.S. citizen on a work visa (if that matters). I would be near Toronto.

If I wanted to move a GN with me to Canada, what hurdles can I expect? Are there any tax issues, emissions regs, or anything else I need to consider? My alternative would be to just store the car in the U.S.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

No emission testing on cars and trucks 1987 and older in ontario , its one of the reasons i am getting a TR next year.:D

Will you be registering/titling the car in Canada??? If so then I would guess that would have to follow the guidelines of importing a car into Canada.

Here is some info:
Importing a Vehicle Into Canada

But I think if you keep it titled/registered in your home state you may not have to do anything but maintain a valid registration.

car into canada

Just make sure that every thing is there stuff like cat,egr,charcole cannaster,and so on MTO are jerks up here just my o2.

Beware of the stunting laws and using a cell phone while driving, they will through you in jail soon. The MTO will be waiting for you at the track also checking emisiions. Leaded fuel will be banned also soon. New taxes every year on renewing your validation sticker...the list goes on.

Canada has emission controls in place and they vary between provinces. In the province of British Colunbia where I live these cars, as long as they are well maintained can pass emission testing. Most owners install a catalytic converter for the emissions test.

Not sure what state you are leaving and if you are familar with winter conditions? Most GN-TType owners park their cars in the winter months. They do this because the roads, in the provinces where they receive alot of snow, are maintained with a mixture of sand and salt. Needless to say those elements are very harmful to paint and bread rust.

On the flip side the summers are great and being able to drive the car you enjoy is great.

Some provinces also make you registar your vehicle with the province, after 90 days, if you are going to live there on a permanent basis.

I suggest you go on line to the Government of Ontario where you can probably find out exactly what they require for you to register your GN.

Good Luck
tbob84
'84 TType

When i brought my Gn into ontario, i pulled up to the customs both and said i just bought this car.

then i went to the main customs building where i had to give the VIN and a bunch of other stuff aabout the car..

they give you a paper and stamp it twice (very important) after that you have 90 days to get the car to pass a safety check ( auto shop should be able to do this) after you get your safety go to the ministry of transport show them your safety and the paper customs gave you and your all done.