msd dis 4 plus ing. system is it worth it for bgn

jbturbov6

looking for adv. and disadv. of using a msd dis 4 plus on my 87 bgn and if it is worth it. anyone with exp. of using this system. please help

advantages>> you can set up a low rpm limiter for staging and launching at a preset rpm (works exellecnt if you have a transbrake), bigger spark, has a anti-theft circuit. Thats all I know off the top of my head. disadvantages>> alot of people have had them go bad (but they do come with a bypass plug if it does take a crap on you). Mine is still working fine, it's been on there for awhile now.

Everybody I know running these things on a gn or on any other car loves them, but most have sent at least one back because it went bad and most carry a spare unit.

Advantage = work really well
Disadvantage = guarunteed to take a crap on you eventually.

Hi,
I just installed an MSD DIS-4 on my car a week ago.I had the same questions as you and wondered if i should and/or needed it.

wel,i must say i am very happy with my decision to install one.i noticed a definete improvement in how my car ran.it idles better,it is more responsive and it seems stronger at higher rpms.i launch my car off the emergency brake so i hooked the low rpm rev limiter to the switch on my e-brake that triggers the brake light.
now i apply the ebrake,bring the rpms up till it hits the rev limiter and then when i pull the e-brake release the rev limiter turns off at the same time the car launches.it works better then i thought it would.

im my opinion it is a definite improvment.

thanks,nick

MSD-4 Plus

Ihave the MSD-4 Plus on my stage 2 GN, my old one with dip switches went bad, the top limit wouldn't allow car to rev over 6500 rpms when it was set at 7200.
I use trans brake set low limit at 4200rpm to launch then have the high side at 7200. So far working well .

3725# GN 9.79 @ 140.77

http://community.webshots.com/user/natan208

While the stock GN ignition is OK, like anything else there is room for improvement. While not an MSD fan I did convert over to CDI, and I've run an eDist. Both systems improved the idle, throttle response, and starting.

IMO, it's better to use the ecm to control launch RPM thur fuel cuts rather then using the ignition. <Just food for thought for the guys that play with code>

MSD DIS4

Mines crapped out while my wife was driving my kids home from school.Now she thinks my car is not reliable.I had a tow truck tow it back to my work and discover a no spark condition.Next I bypass the MSD with the supplied connector and the car started.
It`s now sittting in my garage.
ANYONE WHO WANTS IT AND SEND IT BACK TO MSD FOR REPAIRS, MAKE ME AN OFFER!MSD PROBABLY CHARGE $100 TO $150 TO GET IT BACK ON IT`S FEET.