You can type here any text you want

Msd Dis-4

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oldtimer

There has been a lot of opinions on this board about the MSD DIS-4. A lot of it negative, some positive. :confused:

I'm running a F.A.S.T. SEFI, stock coil pac, 160# injectors and expect to run 30# boost. Thinking I will probably need an igition boost, I'm looking at purchasing the above unit. Our local speed shop tells me that they have a listing for a MSD DIS-4 PLUS.

What are the latest thoughts on the effectiveness of the MSD DIS-4 ?

Has MSD made any improvements to the original version ?

Is the MSD DIS-4 PLUS a newer version or is it just the original MSD DIS-4 ?

All experienced advice welcomed.

Thanks,

George

There was an issue with the spark breaking up at around the 6000-6200 rpm area a little while back. As far as i know, msd adressed the issues, and now they're ok. I never had a problem with mine, and i love the 2 step feature. :D

Louie L. said:
George, sent you a PM

Louie, care to share what you sent him? I am just about to get my car running again with a DIS-4 (the original style with the dip switches) and would like any advice you could offer. Car is 276 Cu.In. M&A heads, Conley's Sheet metal intake w/85mm. throttle body. 96 Lb. injectors, 88mm. turbo, ect. Has an old school DFI 6 sequential running the show. Please enlighten me on the DIS-4. Thanks, Drew

65vette396 said:
Louie, care to share what you sent him? I am just about to get my car running again with a DIS-4 (the original style with the dip switches) and would like any advice you could offer. Car is 276 Cu.In. M&A heads, Conley's Sheet metal intake w/85mm. throttle body. 96 Lb. injectors, 88mm. turbo, ect. Has an old school DFI 6 sequential running the show. Please enlighten me on the DIS-4. Thanks, Drew

Drew, Louie suggested that I go the distributor route with a MSD 7AL. My research tells me that this is a far superior choice.

If you do a search on this topic, you'll find a lot of disgruntled DIS 4 users.

The problem seems to be the use of the MSD DIS 4 in conjunction with the F.A.S.T. ECU. They don't seem to communicate together. There's "no start" problems and the big problem seems to be over 6000 rpm .. breaks up !

Back in Sept. 2003, Spike Clapper from MSD admitted that there was a problem, and it was with their DIS 4 unit. He indicated that they were working on a fix for it.

I called and talked to Spike directly a few weeks ago and asked him if the old problem had been solved, to which he told me that they had upgraded the DIS 4 unit to dials from the old dip switches. He said that there were 100's of the new units out there now and " no comlaints " I then asked him if any of the "newer" units were being used in conjunction with the F.A.S.T. system. He answered "I don"t know"

I take from that answer that they weren't treating the F.A.S.T./ DIS 4 problem with any great deal of importance. I decided right then that I was going to go with a MSD distributor and a 7AL setup.

When I look around, it seems that the majority of the more serious racers, are going with the distributor set up.

The conversion should be very straight forward as Cal Hartline has a conversion wiring harness that makes the switch pretty easy.

Hope that helps, but remember, this is only my personal opinion.

George

George, thanks for the insight. I take it I might be o.k. with the DIS-4 and the DFI. I am going to give it a shot and see if it works. If it doesn't I will go the Dizzy route as I already have a 7-al2 box sitting in the garage. My car is only a mid 9 sec. car as it sits so I will see what happens and if I get into problems/want to go faster I'll break out the Dizzy. Thanks again, Drew

George,
You couldnt have said it better. The problem with the DIS 4 is that it will work on some cars and not on others. We personally have gone thru 4 boxes. One racer went thru that many just by himself. They will work just fine on a stock ECU car.
I have converted to Dist with a Crane Hi6 and matching coil. I couldnt be happier.Crane is also within driving distance...so if the Crane acts up... i can drive to their offices and throw it thru their front window.. :eek:

Louie L. said:
George,
You couldnt have said it better. The problem with the DIS 4 is that it will work on some cars and not on others. We personally have gone thru 4 boxes. One racer went thru that many just by himself. They will work just fine on a stock ECU car.
I have converted to Dist with a Crane Hi6 and matching coil. I couldnt be happier.Crane is also within driving distance...so if the Crane acts up... i can drive to their offices and throw it thru their front window.. :eek:

Louie,

Are you using the Crane HI-6 ignition box with the MSD Distributor ?

What's the part # of the Crane unit ? and corresponding coil ?
( I see part # CRN-6000-6440 on their website ) couldn't find coil !

Does the Crane unit have the 2 step for launching ?

Will Cal's Adapter harness work with the MSD Dist and Crane box combo ?

George

oldtimer said:
Louie,

Are you using the Crane HI-6 ignition box with the MSD Distributor ?

What's the part # of the Crane unit ? and corresponding coil ?
( I see part # CRN-6000-6440 on their website ) couldn't find coil !

Does the Crane unit have the 2 step for launching ?

Will Cal's Adapter harness work with the MSD Dist and Crane box combo ?

George

Yes im using it with the MSD dizzy.There are several box models w/ various part numbers, mine only has the highend rev limiter. But it can be had with both low and high rev limiter. Im using the LX92 coil with is their "race" coil. Crane has the PS91 and 92 along with the LX91-92. They are different coils but any of them would work just fine. There is a "kit" available that inclused a coil. All the connections are weatherpack unlike the others. Cals adapter works perfect with the above. :wink:

What Spark plug wires are you guys using when you put a Distributor on?
Are they custom or off the shelf?

Thanks
Dennis Butt

88 mustang gt 9.10 at 153mph (Buick powered)
Winner of Q8 at midwest challange 2004
Winner of Q8 at midwest challange 2003
Runner up Q8 at midwest challange 2002

I am using the msd super conductors universal straight boot atr one end and 90 on the other, you have to cut them to fit and threy come with a crimping tool. However i have seen alot of guys here use blue ones, which look huge diameter.

You can be cheap like me. I just pulled the boots off a distributor type set of wires and re crimped them on my old coil pack wires :wink: .

After reading your signature....theres nothing cheap listed? I guess you spent it all , thats why your cheap now. :rolleyes:

George, from looking at your pics, your maf pipe is not going to work once you go to a distributor. Sorry for the bad news as i just ran into the same problem. KNow anyone who makes a better MAF pipe distributor compatible? :mad:

norbs said:
George, from looking at your pics, your maf pipe is not going to work once you go to a distributor. Sorry for the bad news as i just ran into the same problem. KNow anyone who makes a better MAF pipe distributor compatible? :mad:

Ya, after I read your post, I went out and had a look at mine. Looks like I'll have the same problem. Lot's of fabrication with power. :mad: :(

I'll probably end up moving my FPR too !!

It also looks like I'll have to move my temp sender on the front of the intake up top, where the sender for the fan delay is. Norbs, What did you do here ?

George

oldtimer said:
It also looks like I'll have to move my temp sender on the front of the intake up top, where the sender for the fan delay is. Norbs, What did you do here ?

George

I am in the same boat right now. I am bout to drop in the dist in the next couple days and now it looks like the temp sensor isnt going to clear.

John Martin
1986 Buick T-type
10.24 @ 131

This is great. I have a 1967 chevy II with a buick motor in it and I just put a fast unit on it and have had trouble with it cutting out around 5k or so for the last month. So I talked to Dusty Bradford yesterday and he suggested I try and bypass my DIS-4 box and see if it helped. I go home and put the bypass connector in it and seems to have cleared it up. I only got to drive it a little because the radiator hose got into the waterpump pulley and cut it. I had to head back to the house but the mis seemed to be completly gone. The sad part is I am new to the buick stuff and the board and just now saw this post. :o

JohnPayne said:
This is great. I have a 1967 chevy II with a buick motor in it and I just put a fast unit on it and have had trouble with it cutting out around 5k or so for the last month. So I talked to Dusty Bradford yesterday and he suggested I try and bypass my DIS-4 box and see if it helped. I go home and put the bypass connector in it and seems to have cleared it up. I only got to drive it a little because the radiator hose got into the waterpump pulley and cut it. I had to head back to the house but the mis seemed to be completly gone. The sad part is I am new to the buick stuff and the board and just now saw this post. :o

John, for the benefit of all, which DIS-4 are you using, the older model with the dip switches or the newer version with the rotary switches.

I'd/we'd, like to know if the newer rotary switched DIS-4 is still a trouble spot. The guys at MSD couldn't seem to help me much :frown:

George

Mine has the dip switches. I was going to post and ask if I could send it back and have it repaired or is this something that just will NOT work at all?

I also have would like to know is the stock ignition system capable of keeping up (to a point) or does it need upgraded?

well i just don't use the fan swtich and moved the collant temp to the top location. I blocked the bypass with a plug aand plugged the water pump, i justr wont be using a thermostat for now. So it will have to make due.

I had a msd box with the swtiches, always missed at hi rpm, and left me stranded at the side of the road , until i usd the bypass plug and it ran like a kittten. THis is the reason i stay away from the msd cd stuff, stick with the accel stuff or crane. Stay away from jacobs coils and boxes also, had poor spark output with them.

Back