You can type here any text you want

Msd Dis-4

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
JohnPayne said:
Mine has the dip switches. I was going to post and ask if I could send it back and have it repaired or is this something that just will NOT work at all?

I also have would like to know is the stock ignition system capable of keeping up (to a point) or does it need upgraded?

Norbs just about summed it up :cool:

I haven't had any personal experience in the 8's ( yet ) but it's my understandting that there are a few on this board who've gone well into the 8's with the stock ignition. I ran very low 11's without a problem though, at 21lbs. of boost ( Low boost by most standards )

Depends on your intentions and combo, I suppose

George

JohnPayne said:
Mine has the dip switches. I was going to post and ask if I could send it back and have it repaired or is this something that just will NOT work at all?

I also have would like to know is the stock ignition system capable of keeping up (to a point) or does it need upgraded?

John,
Join the club of people screwed over by MSD. They will check the box ship it back to ya saying is fine. Then they will blame the FAST. This is not an issue just with Buicks. There have been problems with the Digital boxes in other applications too.

Louie L. said:
John,
Join the club of people screwed over by MSD. They will check the box ship it back to ya saying is fine. Then they will blame the FAST. This is not an issue just with Buicks. There have been problems with the Digital boxes in other applications too.

Louie,

I ordered my Crane HI-6 and race coil today. Thought you'd like to hear that :wink:

George

I e-mailed an MSD tech about compatability issues with FAST and DIS4 and he responed by stating that all issues have been resolved. He said if I pruchased part #62152 it would work with no problems. He did not bash FAST or say anything negative about the system.

JohnPayne said:
This is great. I have a 1967 chevy II with a buick motor in it and I just put a fast unit on it and have had trouble with it cutting out around 5k or so for the last month. So I talked to Dusty Bradford yesterday and he suggested I try and bypass my DIS-4 box and see if it helped. I go home and put the bypass connector in it and seems to have cleared it up. I only got to drive it a little because the radiator hose got into the waterpump pulley and cut it. I had to head back to the house but the mis seemed to be completly gone. The sad part is I am new to the buick stuff and the board and just now saw this post. :o

John, I just replied to the pm then saw this. So the miss is gone???? This is good news. Give me call if you need some help turning it up now.

1dmbth said:
I e-mailed an MSD tech about compatability issues with FAST and DIS4 and he responed by stating that all issues have been resolved. He said if I pruchased part #62152 it would work with no problems. He did not bash FAST or say anything negative about the system.

If you decide to go with the F.A.S.T. - DIS-4 combo, I'm sure that we'd all like to hear the results you get. I think that because of all the problems in the past, "most" everyone is gun shy at this point.

A lot of money to end up with worse performance ! :rolleyes: :(

Good luck

George

I am just trying to figure out what to do at this point. Looking at all my options before I buy. I do not mind using a distributor if it is best. It seems a little like moving backwards, but if it works good I guess it does not matter.

1dmbth said:
I am just trying to figure out what to do at this point. Looking at all my options before I buy. I do not mind using a distributor if it is best. It seems a little like moving backwards, but if it works good I guess it does not matter.

You wouldn't be going backwards at all. Remember, you'd be using the MSD electronic distributor, ( not the old fashion points type distributor ) in conjunction with a CD electronic box, be it MSD or Crane etc.

Another option is to go the gen.3 ls1 individual coils route, a couple of guys on here are already using it, and Ken Duttweiler swears by this system. Just another option, i think i'll eventually go that route when my next coil, module or dis4 ho+ craps out on me. :rolleyes:

What's involved in going to coil on plug igntion? Will the FAST system run coil on plug. Wiring harness?

I heard that system is quite expensive, i will stick to the distributor for now unless the price to go cnp is less than $300

oldtimer said:
If you decide to go with the F.A.S.T. - DIS-4 combo, I'm sure that we'd all like to hear the results you get. I think that because of all the problems in the past, "most" everyone is gun shy at this point.

A lot of money to end up with worse performance ! :rolleyes: :(

Good luck

George

I have a newer style DIS-4 Plus HO with the rotary switches, and am running a FAST XFI. I've had no issues, fires flawlessly (i've run it up to ~6700 RPM), with the gap opened to .040 and high boost.

I am however toying around with the idea of a distributor. I am not sure how much a waste spark is jacking up the O2/EGT readings.

Back