MT Dr's heat or no heat?

darkred87T

Just wondering if anyone does a burnout to heat their DR's before a 1/4 mile run. I have Mickey Thompson Dr's and my best 60' was a 1.67. My average is about 1.8 seconds. I always do a burn out to heat them before the run. Is this necessary?

no , stay out of water if you can and just spinem up to clean off the pebbles

ive run at 19 -26 , run as much as you can hook with ,
my fastest pass in the 86 i had them at 22.5 psi

pacecarta said:
ive run at 19 -26 , run as much as you can hook with ,
my fastest pass in the 86 i had them at 22.5 psi

My best run was a 6.68 @ 104.17mph and I also did a 1.52 60ft.

However I ran 18-19 psi in the tires and heated them until I saw smoke in the rearview mirror.

so I don't know, I always heated them up pretty good.

But to be honest I never tired it pacecarta's way.

Well, it's worth a shot in my case since I'm only running in the mid 12's in the 1/4 anyhow. It seems pointless to burn up a good set of DR's when I don't really need to. I should be getting to the track sometime over the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you all updated.

were still tuning "fear" but we got a 1.40 60 out of her last weekend :cool: I only do a mild burn through 1sta nd 2nd gear and then walk her out

Grandnat said:
My best run was a 6.68 @ 104.17mph and I also did a 1.52 60ft.

However I ran 18-19 psi in the tires and heated them until I saw smoke in the rearview mirror.

so I don't know, I always heated them up pretty good.

But to be honest I never tired it pacecarta's way.

I have had similar results. I run them at 16 cold, and have went 1.50 on the 60 ft. Always do a burn-out till I see smoke.

Quint said:
were still tuning "fear" but we got a 1.40 60 out of her last weekend :cool: I only do a mild burn through 1sta nd 2nd gear and then walk her out

What size MT DRs?

Thanks,
Jim

IMO, they just need cleaning off! I run 16#'s most of the time :D

Here are a few pix of them DR's work'n a few weeks back.

Attachments

• Quint 1.jpg
    Quint 1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 477
  • Quint 2.jpg
    Quint 2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 465
Here are a few pix of them DR's work'n a few weeks back.

ummmm we were thinkin about goin to the bigger 325s for Melissa's car .. is your frame notched ?? any pics ??? size of rim ?? ya I know to many questions :eek:

Air pressure depends on the wheel run too. I run 13# cold in my 275/60's on a 8 3/4" wheel...Do a good burnout the first time out with the tires then just clean em off before every run afterwards.

I peirced one of the MT's with something on the outer edge. I also noticed they are worn down to the wear bar so it looks like I'm up for a new set.
I may get taller tires this time or maybe look at something else that I can launch easier with. Iv'e seen people do pretty well at the track with those Hoosier DOT slicks. Iv'e also heard the they aren't so great. Has anyone else ever tried a different tire?

ummmm we were thinkin about goin to the bigger 325s for Melissa's car .. is your frame notched ?? any pics ??? size of rim ?? ya I know to many questions :eek:

Frame Rails were notched. 10 in rim w/5 back spacing & the fender lip was curled. On "FEAR" we had to run a 5 1/2 B.S. with a spacer so the wheels would match. (super lites)

Frame Rails were notched. 10 in rim w/5 back spacing & the fender lip was curled. On "FEAR" we had to run a 5 1/2 B.S. with a spacer so the wheels would match. (super lites)

thanks....trying to push Melissa into doin that :eek: :biggrin: