You can type here any text you want

MT ET STreet- 275/60/15 or 275/50/15???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

818GN

Banned
These are going on Pro Star 15x8

Is it better to go with a 26" tire or 28" tire?

Also adding adjustable rear UCA/LCA, new bushings all around, and Kirban rear springs.

How fast are you in the 1/4 mile mph and at what rpm are you crossing the finish line? I've gone 125 mph in the 1/4 on both heights. If you are going to go faster than 125 probably get the taller tire. New bushings won't change how the body sits on the frame so it may rub the fender well or exhaust tips on the taller tire even if it doesn't rub the frame. The taller 275 60 typically is narrower mounted on the tire than a 50 series. Mileage may vary and the same tire that fits on one car may not fit on the other, as my 28x9 MT Et drags on T wheels and 275 50 17x8 DR's fit my GN perfectly but both require 1/2 inch spacers to fit on my T.

26" or 28"

It all depends on how much power you're making. If you trap over a certain number in the quarter then you will benefit from 28" tires otherwise stick with the 26's. I didn't state the mph because I forgot the exact no. but I'm sure you can find it using the search function.

Pete

Have you considered the 255-60-15 MT ET Street drag radials? They are 27" tall.

TurboTnZ06- Have not been to the track yet. Motor is built w/ a TE60, Alky, girdle/caps, 206 cam, stock heads/intake (next mod :cool:).

Car is mainly a street car, but it will make it to the track for times.

boostmaster- I will be adding Champion irons and intake in a couple months. That is next on the list.

Should I go with 28" tires now, so I don't have to switch later on or am I looking at this from the wrong perspective?

V6POWER- Will look at those now, thanks.

Ok, good to know.

Does a taller tire have any benefit for traction (provided the suspension is dialed in right) or is that more tire width based?

It all depends in how much power you are making i have a buick with hoosier tire size 26-9 slicks, 60 foot is 1.52 in a 1/8 some time spins out of line if it is a street car 26 are good

tires

If you are traction limited a taller tire will help you gain traction off the line and pick up a few extra mph on the top end by keeping your engine in its power band longer. But if your not making enough power then more than likely you will bog off the line and lose on the top end also. So I'd say a happy medium if you are really unsure about how much power you will be putting down I'd go with the 255-60-15 at 27" you're right in the middle and will have the best of both worlds.

Good Luck, Pete

Back