You can type here any text you want

Muffler Bearings going out?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cbring

ForumRunner_20121010_105333.png

your going to need a left hand #2 phillips screwdriver to service that bearing.

and douse in plenty of blinker fluid during assembly.

When mine went out it the late 90's i installed dual overhead muffler bearings, just make sure you install the passenger side first so you dont over-torque the cv joint inside the 02 sensor bung... i found that using the lefthand #2 phillips was okay but what really worked was when i just used a torx head and jammed it in there real tight.

useless trivia: Model T's and a lot of cars from that era actually did have muffler bearings.

You guys do realize that there are actual "muffler" bearings on some cars, right? The Viper had a mearing assembly in it to opne the muffler up so it was a straight shot through. Some I/O boats also use what's called a muffler bearing on them to keep water out when the engine isn't running.:D

You guys do realize that there are actual "muffler" bearings on some cars, right? The Viper had a mearing assembly in it to opne the muffler up so it was a straight shot through. Some I/O boats also use what's called a muffler bearing on them to keep water out when the engine isn't running.:D

I guess you are right Charlie - my dump tube is kinda a pre-muffler contraption and it has a bearing on it so i guess its kinda like a "muffler bearing" - good thing i did change it over to DOHC though....now if i can just find my bottle of blinker fluid. I noticed my flasher was flashing real fast, i think it is a little low. :rolleyes:

When mine went out it the late 90's i installed dual overhead muffler bearings, just make sure you install the passenger side first so you dont over-torque the cv joint inside the 02 sensor bung... i found that using the lefthand #2 phillips was okay but what really worked was when i just used a torx head and jammed it in there real tight.
PASSENGER SIDE FIRED?!? Ah hell...

Make sure you use a metric crescent wrench for the install
Its funny you should mention that. I was given an irwin crescent wrench as a door prize and it was one that instead of a roller in it there were teeth to set specific sizes. That bitch was metric and would NOT work on standard bolts.

Its funny you should mention that. I was given an irwin crescent wrench as a door prize and it was one that instead of a roller in it there were teeth to set specific sizes. That bitch was metric and would NOT work on standard bolts.

i bet it makes a good hammer, tho.

Back