You can type here any text you want

Mustang, that hung and then didn't!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackshoebox

Staff member
Well, I was cruising out to the beach today on the sawgrass when this mustang flew up on my pumper as if to say, "move out of lane"..so i switched lanes thinking this scrub was going to just cruise by..instead he just began pacing me..so i step on in in over-drive and to my surprise..he was only like a car back and seems to be hanging:confused: ...just to see what would happen i threw into third and we took off again..the difference was huge(like 4-5 cars, me running away):cool: ...never really realized what a difference it makes till today. Any one else out there have a similar experience?? Guess that overdrive gear is reeeaaalllllyyy long?

Shoebox

Good Kill

Good Kill blackshoebox!

That’s surprising about your OD. In my 4L60E, gear ratios are as follows: 1st; 3.06:1, 2nd; 1.62:1, 3rd; 1:1, OD; .70:1. I really don’t notice much difference between punching it in 3rd or 4th, it just downshifts a little quicker if I’m in 3rd. There is also very little difference in running from a dead stop in D or OD. On my trans, D does hold the shift a little longer than OD, but that’s about it.

He probably thought you sprayed him or something on the second run!!! …LOL!!

what have i told you

alex,
man, how fast were you going when you raced this kid, if you were anywhere 40-45 mph, slow down just a little bit, and drop the damn thing into 2nd. i tell you what, that car will just pick up and go. still even though you don't know when to shift without a shift light, you should still know when to shift. or when the car start to slow down and stops making power. i hardly wait till the damn light comes on. just turn down the music, and mash the gas. talk to you later.
maroon t

Was going about 65-70 mph,when we took off the first time, and about 55-60 the second time, I think this happen to me once before on the highway, and the same thing happened with another mustang..Oh,ya kyle, think im going to get a shift light and tac..so i can see what the rpms are doing.

Later,
Shoebox

OD and the blahs.

In my SS I have found that the OD gear just kills power. It keeps me under peak torque even with 4.56 gears @ highway cruising speeds (2500-2750 RPM). BUT! If I slip'er into 3rd. And spin'er up to 6000 and then hit OD... the difference is... well... 33% :D

In 3rd @ 6000 with 28" tall tires on I am doing about 107mph. In OD? I can only imagine... theorectically it works out to around 150+ mph. With my 26" tires... it is a much quicker trip to 6000... but the speed attained is less :(

I suppose that is why I bought a TR... it allows me to cruise again (I used to have 3.42s in the SS and the top speed run was fun).

My T will be home soon,

Back