My 1986 GN - Built/Modified by ASC-McLaren?

mgmshar

OK, here's the story. I have a 1986 Buick GN that is currently being painted. They have a supposedly very experienced guy finishing up the car. Earlier today, I got a call asking me "did you know that your car was the 20th one produced by McLaren?" :eek:

The guy at the paint shop claims that the number "20", nearby dent, and white mark on the VIN plaque (see photo below) indicate that McLaren did something with the car. He is claiming that these marks are put on the car by McLaren (i.e. they are not markings that GM put on the VIN plaque from the factory).

Obviously, I am skeptical about this. However, when I bought this car in 2000, it only had 29,000 miles on it. I became the fourth owner. The third owner told me that the car was first owned by a GM Executive, who then sold it to the second owner after a couple of years. That person stored the car for about ten years or so, then sold it to the third owner. The third owner only had the car for a year or two, and he sold it to me because he was moving and had to sell off some of his cars. Based on the mileage the car had in 2000, the mothball smell in the car when I bought it, and the Carfax I pulled, this story could very well be true. However, this McLaren thing was never mentioned.

Do other people have the number "20", the dent, and the white mark on their 1986 VIN plaques? Does anyone who knows the history of these cars have any idea about this?

...and yes, I'm very skeptical about this, but I figured I would ask anyway. Who knows?

Any help appreciated - if nothing else it makes for an interesting story!

Attachments

• DSCN9806.jpg
    DSCN9806.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 312
hello; I'm no expert but all I know is ACM help in building the GNX and in some cases ACM put in moonroofs on some cars. My T-type has a AC installed moonroof and in my case there's a ACM sticker in the glove box. I'll ck my vin for that 20 stamp as your asking. I have a 86 T.
IBBY

hello; I'm no expert but all I know is ACM help in building the GNX and in some cases ACM put in moonroofs on some cars. My T-type has a AC installed moonroof and in my case there's a ACM sticker in the glove box. I'll ck my vin for that 20 stamp as your asking. I have a 86 T.
IBBY

Thanks for the feedback - I'll be curious to see if your car has the "20", stamp, and white mark on the plaque. My car doesn't have a moonroof (solid roof car), so I don't think it's tied to that. I have never seen an ACM sticker in my glove box, either.

Thanks,

if it has a astro roof that is all A.S.C. did .... i think A.S.C. stands for american sunroof corp .. ASM NOT!!

Just to clarify, my car does NOT have an AstroRoof, Sunroof, or T-Tops - it is a solid roof car. So, I know this has nothing to do with ASC (the sunroof/moonroof company).

The guy who noticed this marking on my plaque has a long history working on cars, and he is claiming that the mark (the "20" with the dent and white mark) mean that McLaren did something on the car. He is at least somewhat credible - not some guy on the street telling me that my car should have twin turbos or something.

I'm open to other suggestions - it's entirely possible this means absolutely nothing, but I'd like to find out for sure.

Does anybody know the best way to get a hold of Dennis Kirban?

Thanks,

Before I waste Dennis' time, can somebody else with 1986 GN look at their VIN plaque and see if it has the same mark?

Thanks in advance,

BGNeXtreem said:
I have an 86 with the moon roof no marks or dent

Thanks for looking. The plot thickens...

Anybody know what the dent and the "20" mean? Anybody with an 86 have a mark like this?

Thanks,

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick

Hey BGNeXtreem and movinfast, can you also check your VIN tags to see if the word "LACQUER" appears on them?

The "expert" believes that some 1986 Buick GN's were actually Regals shipped from the Buick plant to McLaren to get the black lacquer paint applied and possibly get converted to GN's. He thought that Regals going to McLaren for black lacquer paint had the word "LACQUER" on the VIN plaque. In his thinking, my car was the 20th one to get this done by McLaren in 1986 model year. This would be the first I have ever heard of this. I had thought that all Buick GN's were produced in the Buick factory right alongside the Regals (including paint). Only in 1987 did some GN's get sent to McLaren to get converted to GNX's.

My curiosity about this is skyrocketing.

Thanks to everyone for their help...

Not positive, but i'm pretty sure every turbo buick ive seen says Lacquer on the body tag. I know my WE4 and a couple of my buddies GNs have that. And I remember reading they took GNs over to be converted to gnx after they were off the line so I dont think ASC would have done any paint work on them if they in fact got a hold of a few in 86.

Here's a pic of my '87. It says lacquer. It's hard to tell from the pic, but there is a dent where the funky looking "tri-oval" or club-shaped mark is. Also note the stamped in number 57. It'll be interesting to find out what any of this means.

Attachments

• image-3627666377.jpg
    image-3627666377.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 192
mine has 33 indented not raised ,86 fact. moonroof and the last six numbers start with a 2??? and im original owner was told factory demo 6000 mile when purchased many odd things about car hot air hood pad, cut and repaired wires, green tv cable end on throttle plate arm.ds door only checking paint rest of car good and on that door center of gm sticker cut out, came with an adjustable wastgate not cut and repaired, it just like the new adj. ones you buy now

hello; I took a look and my 86 T and it's stamped 77 with a similar look as yours. No white.
good luck
IBBY