You can type here any text you want

My 4.1 build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cooled85T

Empty Pockets
Started off with a 484 production 4.1 30 over. BMS 3.625 crank wise journal. Carillo 6.5 rods. Ross custom forged pistons. RJC girdle. Fully balanced. All studded. I have Champion CNC irons for it. What would you guys say for a top end setup. I was thinking stock intake matched to heads with a 70 mm TB and plenum. What size cam would you guys suggest. This car is heavily street driven and plan to take it to the track fairly often. Need a new turbo conv and trans so my options are open. Also I was hearing some guys going with gear drives....any good? Any input

Attachments

• !cid__0102091839.jpg
    !cid__0102091839.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 371
  • !cid__0102091839a.jpg
    !cid__0102091839a.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 380
  • !cid__0102091840.jpg
    !cid__0102091840.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 394
how much were the pistons for that engine? I saw a 4.1 at the yards, but was unsure about the pistons that would be needed. If they are nomore than je 3.8 pistons, I guess it would be worth it right? you can pm me the info if you dont with to share with everybody!:D thanks buddy!:cool:

The pistons for a 4.1 are not off the shelf items, so they are a little more money. Expect to pay $100 a hole for any custome piston. (some are less, though) If you can get the 4.1 for reasonable money, buy all you can get. There are guys on this board that will buy it from you if you decide not to use it.

i would go with a roller 212/212. as far as the top end i think your on the right track

The pistons for a 4.1 are not off the shelf items, so they are a little more money. Expect to pay $100 a hole for any custome piston. (some are less, though) If you can get the 4.1 for reasonable money, buy all you can get. There are guys on this board that will buy it from you if you decide not to use it.

I need a block to start with, so I might call out sick (cough,cough) tomorrow, and grab it since its already apart. It has the things in the freeze plugs from the machine shop to tell if its been overheated, so it looks to have been rebuilt in the last few months. very clean 484 block. I might grab it. SORRY FOR THE HIJACK!! just curious my self!

Started off with a 484 production 4.1 30 over. BMS 3.625 crank wise journal. Carillo 6.5 rods. Ross custom forged pistons. RJC girdle. Fully balanced. All studded. I have Champion CNC irons for it. What would you guys say for a top end setup. I was thinking stock intake matched to heads with a 70 mm TB and plenum. What size cam would you guys suggest. This car is heavily street driven and plan to take it to the track fairly often. Need a new turbo conv and trans so my options are open. Also I was hearing some guys going with gear drives....any good? Any input

212/212 comp. roller would work nice, what head gaskets are you planing to use?

is the flywheel and balancer your useing the same for the stage 2 block? The reason i ask is i am thinking of building a stock 4.1 as soon as my stage block is used up. That motor looks sweet.:biggrin:

My pistons look good in that block! They originally came from Billy Anderson. Good Luck with the motor. By the way the crank i got from you looks pretty good. I have a low mileage (500 miles) rebuilt Level 10 350 T trans with Low first gear almost the same as a gn -built for the low tens, also have a fresh 3000 level 10 super converter for it-i paid $1300. for the trans and $300. for the converter-i will let them both go for $1000. firm-i might still have the paperwork for all of it. Might consider partial trades.

I ran Champion irons on my 4.1 with a 218-212 cam, ported stock intake and 70mm TB. Car would run high tens on a 26" DR all day. It had great street maners and was good on gas even with a non lock.

is the flywheel and balancer your useing the same for the stage 2 block? The reason i ask is i am thinking of building a stock 4.1 as soon as my stage block is used up. That motor looks sweet.:biggrin:

Its an internally balanced setup. I found an ATI balancer and got a JW flexplate for it. Stock setup is external balance so you can use stock stuff.

I need a block to start with, so I might call out sick (cough,cough) tomorrow, and grab it since its already apart. It has the things in the freeze plugs from the machine shop to tell if its been overheated, so it looks to have been rebuilt in the last few months. very clean 484 block. I might grab it. SORRY FOR THE HIJACK!! just curious my self!
went to the yards today. Turns out the 4.1 was left there because it was .060 bore!!:eek: hopefully my machinist has one hanging around out back. I remember about 15 buick v6 blocks out there, but was looking around for a 20 bolt 109. Didn't look for a 4.1 though.

Back