You can type here any text you want

My Custom Crossover

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Kovmat

Before I start welding, wanted your opinions on this. I have to move my crossover pipe to cross in the front of the engine. I am using 2.25" 16 Awg mild steel mandrel bent pipes. I plan to have the slip fitting with a clamp on the joint just below the oil pan and use the v-groove clamps to attach it to the headers. Does anyone see any issues with the way I am doing this?

128_2871.jpg

128_2872.jpg

128_2873.jpg

128_2877.jpg

Also, I have never welded tubes to header flanges before, I plan to weld it from the inside around the perimeter then grind it smooth around the inside, then have the header flange machined flat. Any suggestions or tips doing this would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Before I start welding, wanted your opinions on this. I have to move my crossover pipe to cross in the front of the engine. I am using 2.25" 16 Awg mild steel mandrel bent pipes. I plan to have the slip fitting with a clamp on the joint just below the oil pan and use the v-groove clamps to attach it to the headers. Does anyone see any issues with the way I am doing this?

View attachment 54214

View attachment 54217

View attachment 54218

View attachment 54219

Also, I have never welded tubes to header flanges before, I plan to weld it from the inside around the perimeter then grind it smooth around the inside, then have the header flange machined flat. Any suggestions or tips doing this would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

looks good, what is it going in?

Thanks,

Going in a 52 Willys Pickup truck. It's a 4wd. The crossover was interfering with the front driveshaft which is why I have to move it.

When I get a little closer I will post some pics.

From the pictures it doesn't look like the driver side engine mount will be able to bolt to engine crossmember?

From the pictures it doesn't look like the driver side engine mount will be able to bolt to engine crossmember?

Fortunately, I have 2 engines, the one in the picture I am using mock up the pipes. The other is in the truck and though it is tight it clears the engine mounts.

Looks good Matt!!!!

Thanks Prasad. I always forget how much metal moves if you are not careful when welding. It took me 3 tries to get the header flange flat enough, but in the end I kicked its butt.

Thanks,

Going in a 52 Willys Pickup truck. It's a 4wd. The crossover was interfering with the front driveshaft which is why I have to move it.

When I get a little closer I will post some pics.

I want to see pics of this, sounds awesome.

the turbo is still on the passenger side... he's just moved the crossover to the front of the engine

That is exactly right. The Turbo is in the stock location and the pass side header is the stock header.

Here is what I did. I had on old set of headers that were made by Weiand from back in the 80's. Believe it or not the one I am using for the driver side actually was the Pass side header. Flipping it to the other side made it dump out further forward to get my crossover in the front of the Engine. On the other side I removed the collector from the back and the pipe going to the rear cylindar. I replaced that pipe with a section I removed from the stock driver side header. I had to heat it up and bend it a little but it fit pretty good. Then it was just doing the crossover to tie it all together. I bought pre bent tubes and took a couple of them to a muffer shop to flair them so they would slip fit so I could move the pipes around and line it all up before I welded it.

As far as the overall project, I am to the painting/body work stage. I just dropped off the cab today to a sheet metal guy that is going to fix a couple spots that are beyond my expertise. The frame is done and painted and I am putting the drive train together now for the last time. I hope!!! With any luck I will have it going this summer. I will try to post some pics in a few weeks when I get the motor in it.

Bob, from your other post, it you think you can use the other header, you are welcome to have it. Not sure if you noticed from the picture but it has a dent in one of the tubes but I dont think it leaks.

That is exactly right. The Turbo is in the stock location and the pass side header is the stock header.

Here is what I did. I had on old set of headers that were made by Weiand from back in the 80's. Believe it or not the one I am using for the driver side actually was the Pass side header. Flipping it to the other side made it dump out further forward to get my crossover in the front of the Engine. On the other side I removed the collector from the back and the pipe going to the rear cylindar. I replaced that pipe with a section I removed from the stock driver side header. I had to heat it up and bend it a little but it fit pretty good. Then it was just doing the crossover to tie it all together. I bought pre bent tubes and took a couple of them to a muffer shop to flair them so they would slip fit so I could move the pipes around and line it all up before I welded it.

As far as the overall project, I am to the painting/body work stage. I just dropped off the cab today to a sheet metal guy that is going to fix a couple spots that are beyond my expertise. The frame is done and painted and I am putting the drive train together now for the last time. I hope!!! With any luck I will have it going this summer. I will try to post some pics in a few weeks when I get the motor in it.

Bob, from your other post, it you think you can use the other header, you are welcome to have it. Not sure if you noticed from the picture but it has a dent in one of the tubes but I dont think it leaks.
are you using that 4.1 block in the picture? how much?:D

Back